3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
I Want To Try This! Swirl Painting!
Praetorian
May 18 2010, 05:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 18 2010, 10:52 AM) *
it will look amazing with those colores, the important thing is, you have to pick carefully the shade of the blues, it is the most important part.

now if you wanna go with something secure, just check for some finished paint jobs out there smile.gif

I think so too...something along these lines!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 18 2010, 05:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Surely you guys have seen swirled guitars before right? Vai's DNA model is what made these popular..... smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 18 2010, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 18 2010, 12:05 PM) *
Surely you guys have seen swirled guitars before right? Vai's DNA model is what made these popular..... smile.gif

Sure we have seen them...but never saw how it was done before. I for one, can't wait to try doing some swirling myself! I just ordered two used bodies on ebay to give it a shot!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 18 2010, 05:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Very cool. From what I've seen on other message boards it can be kind of tricky. Can't wait to see how it turns out....... cool.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 18 2010, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 18 2010, 12:21 PM) *
Very cool. From what I've seen on other message boards it can be kind of tricky. Can't wait to see how it turns out....... cool.gif

Seems like it is much tougher than it looks. I bought a DVD showing step by step how to do it. I will document it and keep you guys posted!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Fre
May 18 2010, 07:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
It looks too easy to me on this video.
It would be cool to try!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2010, 07:51 PM
Instructor
Let us know how it works out man, I'm interested in checking it out. If you could take some pictures with your phone/cam, it would be great too! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 18 2010, 09:25 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 18 2010, 02:51 PM) *
Let us know how it works out man, I'm interested in checking it out. If you could take some pictures with your phone/cam, it would be great too! biggrin.gif

Once I get all the materials together I'll take lots of pics and put it all together in a "report" for everyone!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 18 2010, 10:20 PM
Instructor
from my experience with paint, be sure to leave the first clear coat, and it can be tricky, take the original paint with some light sand paper (it will take time), leave the clear coat but water sand it a little, to thin it a little, paint will dry better there, and do the new painting FAST, dont let the guitar absorb the humidity smile.gif

this will be fun!!, and a great wiki entry!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 18 2010, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 18 2010, 05:20 PM) *
from my experience with paint, be sure to leave the first clear coat, and it can be tricky, take the original paint with some light sand paper (it will take time), leave the clear coat but water sand it a little, to thin it a little, paint will dry better there, and do the new painting FAST, dont let the guitar absorb the humidity smile.gif

this will be fun!!, and a great wiki entry!

Just so I understand you correctly, I should keep the original finish on the guitar...just scuff up the clear coat a little? But what if the original color isn't one that you want? For instance, the body I bought is black...I want to do a blue scheme.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2010, 11:34 PM
Instructor
Hmm... Getting all the paint off the body can be time consuming. If you have a cheap spare body for experimenting, I would suggest painting over everything one primary coat, and them trying the swirl thing. If succeeds, then you can start from bare wood, apply primary and then swirl paint, and then clear coat... I hope this makes sense, and I hope this is doable tho, not really sure if that is the proper way, just an idea biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 18 2010, 11:45 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 18 2010, 06:34 PM) *
Hmm... Getting all the paint off the body can be time consuming. If you have a cheap spare body for experimenting, I would suggest painting over everything one primary coat, and them trying the swirl thing. If succeeds, then you can start from bare wood, apply primary and then swirl paint, and then clear coat... I hope this makes sense, and I hope this is doable tho, not really sure if that is the proper way, just an idea biggrin.gif

I think I will definitely scuff the original paint, and re-primer over the top of it. Especially for my first try!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 19 2010, 12:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 19 2010, 12:45 AM) *
I think I will definitely scuff the original paint, and re-primer over the top of it. Especially for my first try!

Aaah, that makes sense biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 19 2010, 12:32 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 19 2010, 12:45 AM) *

This is a good idea! Its so cool that you are going to try this and document it...Do you have a video cam or something to shoot the actual process and make a tutorial?? If it works as intended, then I'm sure many will try too since results are really amazing...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 19 2010, 12:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 18 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Just so I understand you correctly, I should keep the original finish on the guitar...just scuff up the clear coat a little? But what if the original color isn't one that you want? For instance, the body I bought is black...I want to do a blue scheme.

i mean, keep the very first clear coat, don't apply the paint on the raw wood smile.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 19 2010, 01:41 AM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 18 2010, 07:54 PM) *
i mean, keep the very first clear coat, don't apply the paint on the raw wood smile.gif

But the clear coat is the final top coat over the original paint right?

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 18 2010, 07:32 PM) *
This is a good idea! Its so cool that you are going to try this and document it...Do you have a video cam or something to shoot the actual process and make a tutorial?? If it works as intended, then I'm sure many will try too since results are really amazing...

I do have a video camera, and will film the actual paint dipping. I will take photos for the other steps.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 19 2010, 02:41 AM
Instructor
there is a clear coat before the paint too, well im not sure if it's called clear coat now smile.gif, it's something that goes directly on the wood!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 19 2010, 03:16 AM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 18 2010, 09:41 PM) *
there is a clear coat before the paint too, well im not sure if it's called clear coat now smile.gif, it's something that goes directly on the wood!

Ah...that would be primer! Clear coat is the final spray, that gets sanded and polished to give it that high shine. It protects the paint, but is tough to get perfect.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 19 2010, 04:14 AM
Instructor
primer it is!!, try to not sand that smile.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Joruus
May 23 2010, 04:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Cant wait for the results, and hopefully a tutorial!

I think my Rg350 is starting to try hiding itself now, after ive been thinking of using that tutorial if you make it laugh.gif

I wonder if this story about Steve's blood in Jem DNAs is true btw ohmy.gif
"To get the DNA Steve Vai himself donated a couple pints of blood to be swirled and Darren mixed it liberally. (The blood actually had to be smuggled into Japan because of importation laws:)"

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:50 AM