Epiphone Les Paul Tuning Problem
iamblackmo
May 19 2010, 03:52 AM
GMC:er
I have had this Epiphone Les Paul for a little while now but I noticed that the G-String like to go out of tune. Recently, I switched to 11's and the problem is noticeably worse. The slightest bends sends it far out of tune.

Is this most likely a problem with the tuning hardware, the bridge, or my method of stringing the guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 19 2010, 04:12 AM
Instructor
i think it might be tuners, you are putting more strength now with the fatter strings and it can't handle it.
my suggestion, get a set of locking tuners smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
RobK87
May 19 2010, 04:29 AM
Learning Tone Master
I have the same type of guitar, and was actually attempting to solve this problem earlier.

I have the same problem, and it seems like it can't make up its mind, I tune it, bend the string, goes out of tune, tune again etc.

I took a close look, and I think its the string nut. The G string actually gets out of its groove slightly, and you can pop it back in, but it will eventually come back out, causing problems.

The only solution I can think of is changing the nut....but maybe lubricant will do the trick.

+Quote Post
kahall
May 19 2010, 04:35 AM
Learning Roadie
I just bought the same a few days ago and notice it does not really stay in tune to well either on high E, B and G. I have 30 days to see if a new set of strings straightens it out. It has the factory 10's on it and I kind of expected there to be problems. It is not horrible bad but not good either. I love the guitar other than that though but it is kind of a big deal. I got what I paid for and hopefully upgrading tuners will fix it. I mean what else could it be? The neck looks straight.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
May 19 2010, 05:30 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (kahall @ May 18 2010, 11:35 PM) *
I just bought the same a few days ago and notice it does not really stay in tune to well either on high E, B and G. I have 30 days to see if a new set of strings straightens it out. It has the factory 10's on it and I kind of expected there to be problems. It is not horrible bad but not good either. I love the guitar other than that though but it is kind of a big deal. I got what I paid for and hopefully upgrading tuners will fix it. I mean what else could it be? The neck looks straight.

Yea, I had this problem when it had .10s on it but it was not as bad as it is now.

+Quote Post
Fran
May 19 2010, 09:14 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Strange. My Epiphone SG stays fine with 10s, no problem. Grover tuners from factory.
Maybe they install low quality tuners on recent models now?

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
stratman79
May 19 2010, 10:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
yeah those grovers seem to have a problem.

if your going to change I suggest the vintage tulip kulsons, will also make it
less neck heavy.

edit.

maybe (but prob not) a nut problem, rub a bit of graphite (pencil) on the string where it passes through the nut
and see if that helps

This post has been edited by stratman79: May 19 2010, 10:30 AM

+Quote Post
sted
May 19 2010, 03:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
First thing you should do with any new guitar is bin the crap factory strings and get a good setup on it, seriously! Could be anything on the guitar that is doing this, get it to a luthier and get a full setup on it, you wont believe the difference it can make!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2010, 07:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ May 19 2010, 04:19 PM) *
First thing you should do with any new guitar is bin the crap factory strings and get a good setup on it, seriously! Could be anything on the guitar that is doing this, get it to a luthier and get a full setup on it, you wont believe the difference it can make!

Yeah I also think you should do this! Luther should help you determine the source of the problem and possible fix. Also its always good to have a well setup guitar! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2010, 02:05 AM
Instructor
- Take a screwdriver and tighten the screws on the tuner

- make 3 windings around the machine head

see if that helps

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 28 2010, 02:05 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 28 2010, 09:08 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ May 19 2010, 06:30 AM) *
Yea, I had this problem when it had .10s on it but it was not as bad as it is now.

If it's even worse with thicker strings I'd say it's the nut that's squeezing the string too hard. Needs to be filed up. You could first try to put some graphite in it (from a pencil)

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jun 3 2010, 12:50 PM
Learning Roadie
you might also try a wound g-string

I am currently using a 10' string set, where i have replaced the 17' G-string with a wound 18' G-string.. It sounds a lot better as a bonus, but do require some getting used to.. ie: your g-string bends need to go higher than usual..

worth it for the improved sound though..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:13 AM