Adjusting A Floyd Rose Bridge
mhskeide
May 31 2010, 05:18 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Shortversion of questions:
1. Could I damage my guitar in any way by adding a fourth spring to my floyd rose system and leave it there? I do of course have to use more strengt when using the whammy bar, but I actually feels more comfortable with that.

2. What happens if I at some point has to screw the adjustment screws alll the way in? Is there any limit I shouldnt cross?

Longversion with explanation:
Hi
As some might have seen, I recently got a Floyd Rose guitar...which obviously has floyd rose tremolo. I`m not sure, but I assume it was strung with 0.09 when I recieved it, which means I shouldn`t have to adjust anything when switching to another set of 0.09`s, right?
Anyways, I did have to adjust. I had to screw the bridge adjustment screws (the two screws at this photo ) some centimeters in, I didn`t measure the eexact value.

When changing to 0.10 I expected to adjust the bridge. But the bridge tilted forward a lot more than I thought. I added an extra spring (which makes it 4 total), so I managed to adjust the bridge and tune without screwing the adjustment screws all the way in. The question: Could I damage the guitar in any way if I just leave the fourth spring there? I do of course have to use more strengt when using the whammy bar, but I actually feels more comfortable with that.

And any suggestions why I had to adjust the bridge when I just put on another set of 0.09`s to begin with? Pretty sure the strings are the same brand.won`t help that I`m able to change the strings in one minut when I need to spend 20 minutes to adjust afterwards.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2010, 09:23 PM
Instructor
1. You cannot damage a guitar or Floyd Rose in any way by adding additional springs. The spring tension will increase with each spring, and as the tension increases so will the bridge get lower and center out on it's zero floating point. Bare in mind there are different kinds of springs, for example Ibanez ones are fairly strong, and Fender ones are a bit weaker. Combining different springs can work too if you cannot achieve golden balance with one brand.

2. If the screw goes all the way in, it means you need to add additional springs. By adding springs you leave the headroom for the screws to do what they are supposed to do. If you for some reason nail the screws all the way is so they start to do an empty walk, unscrew them, insert a toothpick (or two) dipped in light wood glue, and screw them back in.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:40 PM