Problems W/ String-height And Intonation, C-1 Schecter
iamblackmo
Jun 7 2010, 10:17 AM
GMC:er
I having trouble finding material on my issue: This is a new guitar, it played fine. I did take it out of town with me but I never left it in a car.

The string gauge is .11's

Here are my problems:
INSANE fret buzz on the low E. I did not notice it until I tuned a 1/2 step down.

When I returned to standard tuning, the fret buzz was worse and now the intonation is severely off. On the 12th fret "E", the fretting note is registering F and the harmonic is registering E

No problem with the rest of the guitar. I don't know where to adjust or how to go about it.

Edit: Here are close pictures. It' does look like I am able to adjust the string height. I just don't want to play with it until I get good advice and see a video on it.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Jun 7 2010, 11:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
emirb
Jun 7 2010, 10:41 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Jun 7 2010, 11:17 AM) *
I having trouble finding material on my issue: This is a new guitar, it played fine. I did take it out of town with me but I never left it in a car.

The string gauge is .11's

Here are my problems:
INSANE fret buzz on the low E. I did not notice it until I tuned a 1/2 step down.

When I returned to standard tuning, the fret buzz was worse and now the intonation is severely off. On the 12th fret "E", the fretting note is registering F and the harmonic is registering E

No problem with the rest of the guitar. I don't know where to adjust or how to go about it.

Just a quick thought: F on 12th fret is probably not intonation problem (as it would appear on at least half or whole string set). Fret buzzing could cause this as you would actually get 13th fret sound when you press it on 12th. explains why harmonic is correct (E). As I could see on the pic of this model it has a bridge that can move back and forth? or is it secured IN the guitar body with screws? if it is than if you haven't touched trust rod then you can safely say that intonation is as good as it was before tuning down/up your E string. Can you adjust string height on this bridge? it doesn't appear so on the pic which is shame. But if you can you could slightly raise it to solve buzzing problem. If bridge is 'movable' I could imagine scenario where bridge moved (followed) with the string when tuned but this is highly unlikely.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
emirb
Jun 7 2010, 03:12 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Ok, I can see it a little bit better than on the musiciansfriend page smile.gif it seems to me that you have individual intonation screws (per string) but only two screws on each side of the bridge for height. This is a bit like original floyd rose. Don't be afraid to adjust it there is nothing you can destroy (easily at least). You could try to mark the screw on the upper side of the bridge (close to low E) and turn it maybe for a whole round and check if that helps (you might need to turn it more/less depends on a bridge). What I usually do, I turn it down (a lot) and then gradually turn it up until frets stop buzzing. I read that schecter guitars come with low action. You probably know this already but strings with lower gauge tend to buzz more, also the way you pick (the angle, if its to narrow + low action = buzz). Trust rod might need some release but if you haven't done this before don't do it. Even here it's hard to damage the guitar but you could make the action/intonation really bad which will give just more frustration. if you raise the bridge in this way you will feel that even 5th and 4th will become higher. price you pay with this kind of bridge. but then again I might be wrong, it would be easier to see it live and not on pic. Have you measured the action? how high/low is it anyways? Personally I'm not that comfortable with very low action, I guess it's matter of taste.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
Jun 7 2010, 03:13 PM
As emirb said, you can adjust the string height from the bridge

--------------------

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Jun 7 2010, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (emirb @ Jun 7 2010, 10:12 AM) *
Ok, I can see it a little bit better than on the musiciansfriend page smile.gif it seems to me that you have individual intonation screws (per string) but only two screws on each side of the bridge for height. This is a bit like original floyd rose. Don't be afraid to adjust it there is nothing you can destroy (easily at least). You could try to mark the screw on the upper side of the bridge (close to low E) and turn it maybe for a whole round and check if that helps (you might need to turn it more/less depends on a bridge). What I usually do, I turn it down (a lot) and then gradually turn it up until frets stop buzzing. I read that schecter guitars come with low action. You probably know this already but strings with lower gauge tend to buzz more, also the way you pick (the angle, if its to narrow + low action = buzz). Trust rod might need some release but if you haven't done this before don't do it. Even here it's hard to damage the guitar but you could make the action/intonation really bad which will give just more frustration. if you raise the bridge in this way you will feel that even 5th and 4th will becomehigher. price you pay with this kind of bridge. but then again I might be wrong, it would be easier to see it live and not on pic. Have you measured the action? how high/low is it anyways? Personally I'm not that comfortable with very low action, I guess it's matter of taste.

Thank you for your quick response. I will measure the action when I get home. I don't like very low action and the rest of the strings play fine, this E-String just likes to be low.

Should I be able to twist the bridge adjustment with my hand, or should I very carefully use a wrench.?

+Quote Post
emirb
Jun 7 2010, 03:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I think you can use your hand but if not be very careful with a wrench you don't want to scratch your finish (beautiful guitar btw!).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 7 2010, 03:50 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It's hard to tell with pictures, but that low E might be too low. Raise it a bit and try again. Loosen the strings a bit before trying to increase bridge height.

Intonation is easy to adjust in that bridge too, just use a screwdriver on the small screw of the low E to move the saddle a bit, then try again, and repeat. Fixed bridges should be easy to adjust.

This video explains it a bit:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...ne-playability/

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
Jun 7 2010, 04:00 PM
I have a C1 Classic with the same TonePros bridge. You need a screwdriver as Fran said... nothing more!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 7 2010, 04:09 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Power_Arctica @ Jun 7 2010, 05:00 PM) *
I have a C1 Classic with the same TonePros bridge. You need a screwdriver as Fran said... nothing more!

It looks like the screw is secured by one at the side too, the one you need a hex key for.
It could be for something else though.

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Jun 7 2010, 06:00 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jun 7 2010, 10:50 AM) *
It's hard to tell with pictures, but that low E might be too low. Raise it a bit and try again. Loosen the strings a bit before trying to increase bridge height.

Intonation is easy to adjust in that bridge too, just use a screwdriver on the small screw of the low E to move the saddle a bit, then try again, and repeat. Fixed bridges should be easy to adjust.

This video explains it a bit:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...ne-playability/

Are you saying I should try to raise the bridge by using the screwdriver or should I twist the bracket under it?

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 7 2010, 06:22 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Jun 7 2010, 07:00 PM) *
Are you saying I should try to raise the bridge by using the screwdriver or should I twist the bracket under it?

I loosen the strings and then turn the wheel with my fingers ¡n my SG, which has a similar bridge. I guess yours works the same, as long as that bridge is like gibson's tune-o-matic, which is a very common bridge style.

Edit: Just checked my SG again and they are not exactly the same. SG can only be twisted with fingers, as it has no place to use a screwdriver to raise the bridge, while yours does.

This post has been edited by Fran: Jun 7 2010, 06:25 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 7 2010, 09:25 PM
Instructor
I could help you a bit if it was floyd rose...

smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 9 2010, 06:28 PM
Instructor
could you fix it?

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:25 AM