What Are You Currently Working On?
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2014, 04:01 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! This thread is to invite everybody connected (those who usually participate of the forum and also the new ones or those who are a bit shy) to tell me what you are working on right and also to give you some help if it's needed.

We can use this thread, my personal board and also GMC Chat to work on the things that are locking you.

so the question is:

What are you currently working on?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
TreyDeschamp
Jun 17 2014, 04:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Currently I'm working from the bottom in terms of learning music theory. I can play things but I've finally started trying to understand the mechanics behind the fret board. I'm currently still learning the notes on the fretboard and also piddling around with trying to apply them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2014, 04:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Trey, good plan!

Expanding our theory knowledge always opens new doors in our guitar playing and composing abilities. And learning the notes on the fret board is definitely a basic thing that will affect everything you play and you learn. There are some tricks that helped me a lot to learn the notes on the fret board. The first one was to be able to find all the possible octaves of a note:

It's awesome how much you can understand the fret board just with this concept.

How is your approach? Have you checked this thread (click HERE)?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 17 2014, 04:31 PM
Currently I'm just learning each note of the string and then trying to say them.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2014, 06:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 17 2014, 12:31 PM) *
Currently I'm just learning each note of the string and then trying to say them.

Ok, trust me and try to use that short cut that I shared here, It will make everything easier. I also remember an old exercise shared by Joe Satriani that consisted on turning on the metronome, naming a note and playing it on every string and octave that it appears following the beat. It's a great exercise, that can be worked starting at slow tempos and increasing it when you feel comfortable. The advantage of this one is that you practice to be able to jump from one string to the other to catch the next part of the fret boar where the note appears.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 17 2014, 07:04 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 17 2014, 12:15 PM) *
Ok, trust me and try to use that short cut that I shared here, It will make everything easier. I also remember an old exercise shared by Joe Satriani that consisted on turning on the metronome, naming a note and playing it on every string and octave that it appears following the beat. It's a great exercise, that can be worked starting at slow tempos and increasing it when you feel comfortable. The advantage of this one is that you practice to be able to jump from one string to the other to catch the next part of the fret boar where the note appears.

I'll definitely give it a try man. It's a lot more interesting than repeating notes on one string over and over again! laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 18 2014, 03:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jun 17 2014, 03:04 PM) *
I'll definitely give it a try man. It's a lot more interesting than repeating notes on one string over and over again! laugh.gif

Definitely! Let me know how it feels after some practice.

You could also write a random list of notes on a paper and do the same metronome thing but now with random notes. You can start searching the notes in the same octave and then doing octave jumps. This second waywould mean that you play A on 5th fret 6th string and then a random following note that could be F# on 4th fret 4th string.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 22 2014, 11:37 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 17 2014, 04:20 PM) *
Hi Trey, good plan!

Expanding our theory knowledge always opens new doors in our guitar playing and composing abilities. And learning the notes on the fret board is definitely a basic thing that will affect everything you play and you learn. There are some tricks that helped me a lot to learn the notes on the fret board. The first one was to be able to find all the possible octaves of a note:

It's awesome how much you can understand the fret board just with this concept.

How is your approach? Have you checked this thread (click HERE)?

I have also being trying to learn all the notes on the fretboard and have not seen this way before but i really like it and going to put it into practice smile.gif Thanks Gabriel

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Jun 22 2014, 11:38 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 22 2014, 04:58 PM
Uuuuughhh! Haven't played guitar in 9 days. I'll see how I do in the morning.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 23 2014, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Hey Trey - I also have a little exercise for you which will help you learn the notes on the fret board smile.gif

Check this out: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=671081

What do you think mate? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2014, 03:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 22 2014, 07:37 AM) *
I have also being trying to learn all the notes on the fretboard and have not seen this way before but i really like it and going to put it into practice smile.gif Thanks Gabriel

Great mate! also check out the Satriani's exercise that I shared earlier on this thread. It's an effective and entertained exercise.

Another thing that helped me a lot to understand the fret board has been to learn the triads and connect them with scale patterns. This workout can be very useful for understanding the fret board but also to become a better improviser and arranger. Just give a look at this lesson and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/aeolia...ed-with-triads/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 23 2014, 05:57 PM
I just got back to the world of guitar. biggrin.gif Hi GUYS !! I missed you all !! biggrin.gif How's everyone ? I am working on songs, and, trying to sing. I realized I am a horrible singer tongue.gif Currently working on In My Darkest Hour, Fade To Black, Dance of Death and Tears Don't Fall. And, a lot more. I just pick up songs, guitar pro, learn it. The problem is - soloing. I can only play the first solo in Fade To Black. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jun 24 2014, 02:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm working on 2 lessons now and on the metronome phase. The melodic shred from Diego has been something I spent a couple weeks on and now trying to be articulate before I speed up. I'm at a semi comfortable speed around 85bpm. There is one set of licks that just destroys my timing. Now that I know what's stopping me it's just a matter of practice of control to finish, but that's gonna take done time.

Cosmin requested I look at the lesson odd grooves by Murius. It's got a faster tempo but played 1/8 notes so speed isn't a problem here. "Timing!!! It's what's for Dinner." It's complex because the meter changes with every chord so each lick has more or less time than the previous.

That's what I've been working on. Slowly chip chip chipping away

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 24 2014, 07:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 23 2014, 04:57 PM) *
I just got back to the world of guitar. biggrin.gif Hi GUYS !! I missed you all !! biggrin.gif How's everyone ? I am working on songs, and, trying to sing. I realized I am a horrible singer tongue.gif Currently working on In My Darkest Hour, Fade To Black, Dance of Death and Tears Don't Fall. And, a lot more. I just pick up songs, guitar pro, learn it. The problem is - soloing. I can only play the first solo in Fade To Black. tongue.gif

Hey mate smile.gif If you want to get acquainted to the styles of Metallica and Iron Maiden, I think it would be a great idea to take a look over these lessons covering both lead and rhythm aspects in the style of these bands:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Iron-M...-For-Beginners/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metallica-For-Beginners/

I'd be happy to work with you in order to help out with getting these lessons under your thumb and making them sound great - in this way your skills will be greatly improved so that you will have an easier time learning the original songs.

Understanding the elements making up the style, is a crucial aspect when we want to play our favorite songs wink.gif What say you?

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 24 2014, 07:31 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 23 2014, 03:05 PM) *
Great mate! also check out the Satriani's exercise that I shared earlier on this thread. It's an effective and entertained exercise.

Another thing that helped me a lot to understand the fret board has been to learn the triads and connect them with scale patterns. This workout can be very useful for understanding the fret board but also to become a better improviser and arranger. Just give a look at this lesson and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/aeolia...ed-with-triads/

Thats a great exercise.A have started practicing that with the metronome smile.gif

That is a very good theory lesson.I checked out the Professors lesson on how to build triads. I knew how to build Major and Minor.I learned form the Professors lesson how to also build Diminished and Augmented Triads. Before reading this lesson I never even knew what Diminished or Augmented meant.

Understanding the fretboard really does open up countless possibilities smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 24 2014, 03:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jun 23 2014, 10:14 PM) *
I'm working on 2 lessons now and on the metronome phase. The melodic shred from Diego has been something I spent a couple weeks on and now trying to be articulate before I speed up. I'm at a semi comfortable speed around 85bpm. There is one set of licks that just destroys my timing. Now that I know what's stopping me it's just a matter of practice of control to finish, but that's gonna take done time.

Cosmin requested I look at the lesson odd grooves by Murius. It's got a faster tempo but played 1/8 notes so speed isn't a problem here. "Timing!!! It's what's for Dinner." It's complex because the meter changes with every chord so each lick has more or less time than the previous.

That's what I've been working on. Slowly chip chip chipping away

Great to see you working hard Jim. Those are really interesting lessons. Timing issues usually appears for two reasons:

- technique limitation.
- not enough concentration on it.

If you identify that you have timing issues on difficult parts, both reasons can be mixed so isolating these parts and practicing as a loop over metronome is the way to go. If you don't feel that the parts are tricky, just try to put all your attention on timing, feel the groove, mark the tempo with your foot and/or head and practice it until it gets natural.

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 24 2014, 03:31 AM) *
Thats a great exercise.A have started practicing that with the metronome smile.gif

That is a very good theory lesson.I checked out the Professors lesson on how to build triads. I knew how to build Major and Minor.I learned form the Professors lesson how to also build Diminished and Augmented Triads. Before reading this lesson I never even knew what Diminished or Augmented meant.

Understanding the fretboard really does open up countless possibilities smile.gif

Exactly! Keep on working on this and you'll never regret it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 25 2014, 12:31 AM
Finally playing a little again after over a week. Just finished practicing for an hour and got in an hour last night too. I hope to be up to 2 hours by the weekend - then taking a week off from work and planning on doing some projects around the house instead of going on vacation - so, if I don't accidentally run myself through with a shovel, I hope to be back up to speed by next week so I can spend lost time disturbing my neighbors - I'm itching to get loud.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 25 2014, 12:36 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 25 2014, 07:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 24 2014, 06:31 AM) *

Hey mate smile.gif If you are into learning and understanding things about triads, please take a look over these lessons as well:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_3/

They will show you how triads are built and what happens when you mix the order of the notes in each chord - the concept of using voicings smile.gif Please take a look and let me know what you think - these are pretty much applications of the Professor's theory board regarding triads, so I think it would be great to tackle a 'hands on' exercise wink.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 24 2014, 11:31 PM) *
Finally playing a little again after over a week. Just finished practicing for an hour and got in an hour last night too. I hope to be up to 2 hours by the weekend - then taking a week off from work and planning on doing some projects around the house instead of going on vacation - so, if I don't accidentally run myself through with a shovel, I hope to be back up to speed by next week so I can spend lost time disturbing my neighbors - I'm itching to get loud.

Hehe! Mate, I can totally feel your urge to play and that's a good thing, but make sure to watch out for the hands smile.gif You only get two of them biggrin.gif

I always watch out when pumping iron and having to use large weights, so that my wrists and fingers will stay safe and my head as well smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 25 2014, 06:44 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2014, 03:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 24 2014, 08:31 PM) *

This sound very good! But take care of those hands mate!

What lessons/songs/exercises are you practicing? Do you have a guitar plan?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 25 2014, 08:23 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 25 2014, 07:04 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif If you are into learning and understanding things about triads, please take a look over these lessons as well:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_3/

They will show you how triads are built and what happens when you mix the order of the notes in each chord - the concept of using voicings smile.gif Please take a look and let me know what you think - these are pretty much applications of the Professor's theory board regarding triads, so I think it would be great to tackle a 'hands on' exercise wink.gif

Hehe! Mate, I can totally feel your urge to play and that's a good thing, but make sure to watch out for the hands smile.gif You only get two of them biggrin.gif

I always watch out when pumping iron and having to use large weights, so that my wrists and fingers will stay safe and my head as well smile.gif

Hi Cosmin

Great lessons. I love learning more about theory smile.gif

I have one question. I hope it doesn't sound stupid

The third lesson a B diminished chord is being played and the lesson is being played in C Major

C major doesn't contain any flats or sharps and a Diminished Triad = R b3 b5

So the notes of the B Dim chord being played are B F and D

How does the notes tie in with the formula

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:29 AM