Help, Alternate Picking
Martin la guitar...
Feb 28 2009, 08:23 PM
GMC:er
I was wondering how you do alternate picking.

When you alternate picking the string, do you rest the side of your palm on the bridge, or do you just pick the notes freely (without the right hand touching anything.)

I hope you understand my question.

When i try to use alternate picking while resting my palm rests on the bridge, i get very accurate and fast tone, but when I when i dont it becomes the opposit.

If you say "Yes, rest your palm on the bridge"

Then my question is, should you always rest your palm on the bridge, even when your phrasing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Wabba
Feb 28 2009, 08:38 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Umh.. Yea, I think that you should always palm mute the strings you're not playing. If that's what you mean.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Feb 28 2009, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (Wabba @ Feb 28 2009, 08:38 PM) *
Umh.. Yea, I think that you should always palm mute the strings you're not playing. If that's what you mean.

I dont mean muting the strings. Im talking about the bridge, the metal piece.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 28 2009, 10:47 PM
Instructor
Nop, I don't rest the hand on the bridge.
When I play the lower strings my hand is over the body or just in the "air" (actually the forearm is over the body resting). And when I play the higher strings the hand could be over the lower strings muting them.

Maybe if it helps you could check any of my lessons the slow takes have lots of different angles to see what's happening with the right hand.

I hope this helps

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 28 2009, 10:51 PM
Lets go fishing!
Quite simply I roll my palm over the strings im not playing, seems to work well for me smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 28 2009, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 28 2009, 10:51 PM) *
Quite simply I roll my palm over the strings im not playing, seems to work well for me smile.gif

Yup, me too. However, this is a matter of personal preference. You can roll over the strings, you can anchor your hand on the bridge etc. But IMHO resting your hand on the strings will certainly help you a lot in your precision and in muting the stringss smile.gif

This post has been edited by berko: Feb 28 2009, 11:02 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Feb 28 2009, 11:18 PM
I've been working on my alternate picking the past few days. I don't rest my hand on the bridge. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ht-hand-basic1/ I've been watching that video. It seems like you already know how to alternate pick, so you don't have to watch it for that aspect of it, but you can check out his right hand technique

--------------------

ESP LTD Viper-100FM
Bridge - GFS Dream 90
Neck - DiMarzio DP193 Air Norton

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 1 2009, 12:45 AM
Jazz Instructor
That is a matter or your own choice. Playing from the air I think is the best way, though I play with my right hand on bridge. Sometimes I play almost from the air, but that's just for gypsy jazz. Playing from the air gives you stamina, your muscles are relaxed, and I think you can progress faster to faster speeds.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 1 2009, 01:25 AM
Instructor
I rest it on bridge almost all the time,
you should try few ways and see what works best for you. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor
Well, since you have to mute the strings with the picking hand, you always keep them a bit on the strings, never completely hovering over, but keeping it on the bridge can be good as well. Practice is all that matters. If you play 5 years, 5-6 hours per day with the hand on the bridge - it will sound awesome, so it's up to you.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:26 PM