3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Sore Fingers
Muris Varajic
Sep 21 2008, 12:40 PM
Instructor
Great that you brought this in Marcus,
cause first time when I REALLY felt pain in fingertips (ring finger actually)
was when we were making "Instructor Plays Instructor".
Frets on my guitars are almost jumbo and all those
wild slidings really make you crying. laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raw
Sep 21 2008, 12:41 PM
GMC:er
I would definetly go for the Iommi-method if I was you tongue.gif.

Don't really have that problem myself in my left-hand, but when Im playing jazz chords (I dont use that technique as much as regular picking) I can get sore if I havent done it for a while. What I will recommend is to consider the strings you're using. D'addario for example, have a very metallic feel over them and they're used a lot in metal, but D'addarios are very dry strings with not much of a "layer" on them, that creates more friction which my tear a bit on you fingertips. You should try Elexsir instead because they've got a spray or something on them which make them softer, smoother and more sustainable than not-layer strings, it kinda feel more organic. Personally I use GHS strings at my 010-string-guitars and D'addario at my 012 guitar, but often with the "fast-fret" which oils the stings a bit so you can get that layer. Try it out, it might work for ya! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AdamB
Feb 16 2009, 05:53 PM
might be bringing back a dead thread here, but I have been using the gripmasters at work recently, and it keeps my calluses like rock, even used it to create calluses on my right hand ready to start tapping away like a maniac smile.gif

I think it's helped quite a lot, as I never have pain in my fingers now, and the calluses are really smooth.

+Quote Post
GuitarJones
Feb 16 2009, 06:33 PM
I rub a little rubbing alcohol on my fingertips if they lose their toughness and I've noticed that it really helps to build them back up quickly and keep the pain away. I thought it would dry my skin out and make the skin peel around the edges of the fingernail but it doesn't. Give the alcohol a try and let me know if it works for you too.

This post has been edited by GuitarJones: Feb 16 2009, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Feb 16 2009, 10:58 PM
When I first started to learn the guitar, I didn't know where to start, and therefore the first thing I did was learn all the techniques, such as sliding, hammer-on & pull-off, vibrato and bends. I did this on an acoustic and it hurt like hell, but I liked to play so didn't care much about it and the pain went away.

Recently I have bought some 11 strings, because I wanted a more 'metal' sound. I actually enjoy these strings more, because they are harder to bend and I can bend with more accuracy. At the beginning, tapping was kinda hard, but I've gotten the hang of that too now.
Although I used to get serious cramp when playing chords for a long time, but now I found that when I do a warm-up excersize, this won't happen also.

My advice to any who read this is : Just make sure you surely play once a week, or when you feel your fingertips get soft. It doesn't have to be long, just 5 min a day will do and keep your fingers active.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 16 2009, 11:44 PM
Jazz Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 28 2008, 11:47 AM) *
I also have this problem !! My fingers hurt if I don't play daily..Looking forward to those tips smile.gif

:)Yeah, mine also hurt if I don't play on regular basis.
Good thing is to shake your hand, and to stretch it before and after playing, especially after one hour intense workout.
Blood starts to rush, and you gain back your strength. I saw this on Petrucci's videos.

+Quote Post
WanderMan
Aug 3 2009, 08:30 PM
There's a lot of nice tip here for hurting fingertip wink.gif

Also I had some problem with the other hand. I tried the Gabriela tutorial from Rodrigo y Gabrielle as you can find on internet, I suppose it's the same with the Spanish guitar style here. You have got to brush the string fast and at first it's not really precise. So you brush with your full nails instead of just the fingertip. Quickly enough the join point where your nail get out of the finger wears off, and there's tiny bit of blood coming.
I remember still playing, and then droplets of bloods where propelled on the guitar. Of curse doing acoustic stuff on sharp electric guitar strings does not help... Some time it looks like playing guitar can turn to a deal with some evil, you got to sign with blood wink.gif tongue.gif

But at least there is a easy cure here, it's accuracy cool.gif And in comes quickly enough with practice, and I'm at a lower level than what's called a beginner here laugh.gif

Now that there is 2-3 cool suggestions in this thread, that would be nice to sum-up smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:37 AM