Podxt Live & Reaperi,, whats the best way to record guitar
Rowan
Sep 15 2009, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I usually just use my Peavey VK112 amp and PODxt live and jam away on the guitar but when I get to recording the tones sound completely different, even great ones I download I need to tweak as they sound too dull/bland.

Now im wanting to start getting some recording done and videos up so I can improve with some good old CnC lol.

I use a PODxt Live and the program I have is REAPER.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or guide on how to properly record high quality audio covers to my PC, and if possible, rather than playing with no noise, so I can hear something.

In the past my 2 choices where, playing with AMP on but the tone was different from recording, or playing via speakers but there was a 2-3second delay lag so it was really off putting.

Thanks and I hope someone can help me get my YouTube channel alive and kickin with covers smile.gif

-R

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jackson RR24 Snow White
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star w/ EMG 81-85
LINE6 PODxt Live w/ all additional patches
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

https://www.youtube.com/ScottR31
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 16 2009, 12:06 AM
Instructor
There is a board on GMC with lots of Reaper tutorials, check it out.

Also, the studio recording is completely different thing from listening your guitar live from the amp, as you noticed. Completely different presets should be used for recording, and there are couple of "basic" rules that have to be applied.

- EQ properly:
guitar is midrange instrument, and the low E note is ~87Hz. Everything bellow should be cut with a highpass filter. The top end (specially if it is from a modeler or modern hi gain preamp circuit) can be buzzy and with unpleasant transients. It should be handled with lowpass filter. Make sure you have enough mids on your preset to make your guitar stand out in the mix.
- Cut down the drive:
when you use too much drive on recording, it becomes even more compressed, specially if you use cheap guitar/amp/audio interface. Only HQ studios that record HQ amps can allow big amounts of gain to be recorded and to still sound tight and natural and EVEN THEN it's a painstaking process that requires great amount of expertise from both sound tech and amp tech.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 16 2009, 12:09 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks Ivan ill have a look around there.

Btw ive noticed theres different ways to record.

Usually I would just record it normally, but I also hear you can do a Dry track then record the Wet patch over it etc.

What would you recommend?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 09:26 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Track and record dry. If you add effects etc it is very difficult to remove them at mixing and mastering stages.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 09:38 AM
Ok thanks,

The only way I can hear what im playing via the laptop speakers is when I have Reaper set to DirectSound mode

When its on anything else I hear nothing even with the monitor button on sad.gif

When I hear via speakers there is that delay and it very off putting

Any tips

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
anders3604
Sep 16 2009, 09:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Rowan @ Sep 16 2009, 10:38 AM) *
Ok thanks,

The only way I can hear what im playing via the laptop speakers is when I have Reaper set to DirectSound mode

When its on anything else I hear nothing even with the monitor button on sad.gif

When I hear via speakers there is that delay and it very off putting

Any tips

That you get a delay (latency) is problaby because of your soundcard. What soundcard do you have?

DO it use ASIO drivers?

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 09:57 AM
Its the Acer Timeline 5810T laptop so I would think its just onboard sound and I use the SP/DIF socket for plugging in my PC speakers.

Im getting sooo tempted now just to record audio with the webcam sad.gif

Really dont know what im doing here

This post has been edited by Rowan: Sep 16 2009, 09:58 AM

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 10:06 AM
Afraid I don't use Line 6 and also am not on the pc with Reaper at the mo so I'm guessing a bit.

I think that the most likely issue is that Reaper isn't seeing the Pod and/or ASIO2. Check first that Reaper identifies and selects the Pod in the list of audio devices (think it's under options>preferences>audio device>system). Then make sure that it sees and select the ASIO driver for the Pod (options>Preferences>audio device>driver).

If Reaper isn''t seeing the Pod or the Pod's ASIO2 dll then you will probably have to reinstall the dll.

Once Reaper sees the Pod and ASIO2 dll you may then get an option radio button to configure the ASIO. Click on that and depending on the Pod you may then be able to set the latency/buffer size. On my RME I get options for this plus lots of others for wordclock sync lock and so on. If you need to check latency on the fly in Reaper it is given at the top RHS of the Reaper screen.

Final bit as a precaution - set the Pod as the playback and record for Windows rather than any on board (ie Realtek97) chip. On XP Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 10:13 AM
Heres some screen shots of settings I have set up smile.gif

I have checked in the Control Panel and it has Playback set as either High Definition Audio or SP/DIF
Recording is set to the Line 6 PODxt Live

Also about the setting playback as PODxt Live, I think I done that once by mistake because when I hit record I could hear the music from the PC and also the music in the amp and guitar in amp.

I just wish I could sit and hit record, here the music/backing track and hear my audio on the guitar with the proper tone from PODfarm so I can record and enjoy making covers lol....... arrrgghhhhh :@ wink.gif

This post has been edited by Rowan: Sep 16 2009, 10:18 AM

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 10:39 AM
I think you may have the tracks muted - looks like the monitor button is lit. Also is spdif the audio output you're using to the pod? Or does the Pod auto select spdif if available for 'hidef' and default to another otherwise (sorry I don't know as I don't have one)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 10:41 AM
The tracks aren't muted m8, they glow RED when they are on.

And the SP/DIF is just a headphone jack on my laptop that I can plug my PC speakers into, rather than using the sound coming from the laptop. Mainly what I use when listening to iTunes etc.

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 10:48 AM
Sounds like your Reaper skin works the opposite of mine for the monitor light smile.gif . NP though.

If you're using the onboard sound in the laptop that is going to almost certainly cause issues for you when you try to run ASIO. Most ASIO2 dlls don't work as multiclient well i.e. they want to be the only audio device. To check this disable the on board sound in the windows control panel and try Reaper again and monitor via the Pod (I assume it's got a headphone jack).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 10:54 AM
Yeh im sure if I plug the headphones into the PODxt Live I hear it fine with no lag.

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 11:22 AM
Looks like that's probably the problem then Rowan - disable the onboard sound and use the POD to monitor with Reaper smile.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 11:26 AM
Ok I done that there, was able to record and hear it perfect from my headphones.

Is there no way that I can use the amp as a speaker to hear the tone or is that bad because it sounds nothing like what your recording?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 11:42 AM
You could try it Rowan but I don't know if the Pod will route the signal to both your pc and guitar amp at the same time or only one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 12:13 PM
Also I ment to say I have one of these:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?h...um=4#ps-sellers

Would that make any difference since it has the L and R audio ports?

Could that make my quality better rather than USB?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 12:38 PM
I don't think the Creative has a HiZ jack input - if it hasn't it won't work well with an electric guitar plugged in to it. You'd then be left plugging the guitar in to the pod and then taking the pc's out to either the pod and on to the creative or directly to the creative for DAC (digital analogue conversion).

The first is a bit messy and TBH unnecessary imo as the DAC is already done on the Pod so you may as well just take the analogue to headphone/monitor from the pod.

The second depends on how good the creative is at DAC. I haven't seen any comparisons between the creative and the pod but would assume that the Pod is probably a bit better for one reason: the creative is gamer/consumer orientated whilst the Pod is more music/'prosumer'. Also the creative looks to be locked at 24 bit 96kHz - and you might not want to use that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Sep 16 2009, 12:40 PM
DAMN!

Just wanna be able to play the guitar normally and hear it with it recording the tone at the same time with no confusions sad.gif

.... If not looks like ill just be webcam recording...

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2009, 12:50 PM
Well you could just use the Pod with headphones smile.gif .

If you don't want to do that then there's no harm in trying the creative as the pc's line out DAC.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:43 PM