2 Pages V  < 1 2  
What Is Djent?
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 20 2014, 08:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 19 2014, 07:46 PM) *
Personally I'm not all negative to genre logic;

Incase someone missed to read about it, genre was created by record companies to simply catalog and sell their records easier. As in the past (pre-casette) its was very hard to record/duplicate a vinyl for the ordinary customer so this helped them to find music when they were shopping.

What I like about it is the transformation as it became a culture, there is a lot of research on this and they're fun to read or watch. This is slowly dieing today but as an example, if I tell someone I listen to x music and specially like Y bands in that genre I'm giving away a lot of analysis of my personality or even the fashion of what I wear daily smile.gif

But this djent term isn't giving this and I'm not sure how this word can be used in musical communication (when used alone). Like, if one says he likes playing djent and wants to jam with me I'll pretty much have no idea what to expect from him smile.gif seems this term is currently either too full or too empty atleast today.

You are right as well smile.gif Classifications have appeared for a good reason, but in respect to communicating with other folks about music, I think it's easier to relate to a state of mind rather then a genre. If one tells me that he likes aggressive music, I will have a general idea about what he likes in respect to what that music transmits. Be aware that I did not state aggressive metal - aggressive means aggressive - it can be hip-hop or even electronic music. That's why I think that it's best to understand a certain spirit and try to lean into it if you wish to communicate well with other folks in terms of music, jamming or even more aspects.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 20 2014, 12:36 PM
GMC:er
Ah yes then I think in time it will be used as a musical term like we use "texture" or "coloration" smile.gif

Reason I find these important is when I first started college, we had a teacher giving great importance to being able to speak music. We listened a song and she asked each person if he/she liked or disliked it. That was the easy part, next was why it was liked or disliked and we realized the answers didn't have much depth to them (as an answering musician) smile.gif

This really helped me later on, besides better communication one can standout in a crowd when needed for his/her career or needed momentarily attention.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2014, 09:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 20 2014, 11:36 AM) *
Ah yes then I think in time it will be used as a musical term like we use "texture" or "coloration" smile.gif

Reason I find these important is when I first started college, we had a teacher giving great importance to being able to speak music. We listened a song and she asked each person if he/she liked or disliked it. That was the easy part, next was why it was liked or disliked and we realized the answers didn't have much depth to them (as an answering musician) smile.gif

This really helped me later on, besides better communication one can standout in a crowd when needed for his/her career or needed momentarily attention.

Wow, you can study these things in college? smile.gif To me, it seems amazing because no one I heard coming from a music college here had to deal with such important aspects in music studies.

What exactly did you study mate?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2014, 10:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 20 2014, 08:36 AM) *

This is very interesting mate. I had something close to this at the University but not related with taste. We had to analyze music from Gregorian chant, to classical and contemporary. We analyzed texture, structures, arrangements, rhythm, harmony and every relevant aspect. This made me appreciate music that I wasn't used to hear in a very deep way. I also have seen the evolution on music related to rhythm, harmony, genres and arrangements. Very interesting stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 21 2014, 12:40 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2014, 08:32 AM) *
Wow, you can study these things in college? smile.gif To me, it seems amazing because no one I heard coming from a music college here had to deal with such important aspects in music studies.

What exactly did you study mate?

Well, I first studied on classical music theory+composition but quit that school on 2.nd year, later I transfered here; http://music.bilgi.edu.tr/

The year I entered its jazz department for musicians stopped accepting new students and there was only 1 program which had lots of selectable classes (similar to todays program). I focused composition and soundtech there but also took some fun stuff smile.gif

We had a teacher there which was into music philosophy and her lessons were very deep but cool smile.gif she's one of the smartest person I've ever met, I remember once went to speak to her about a lesson and during that 20 minute argument I started to feel dizzy biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 21 2014, 09:31 AM) *
This is very interesting mate. I had something close to this at the University but not related with taste. We had to analyze music from Gregorian chant, to classical and contemporary. We analyzed texture, structures, arrangements, rhythm, harmony and every relevant aspect. This made me appreciate music that I wasn't used to hear in a very deep way. I also have seen the evolution on music related to rhythm, harmony, genres and arrangements. Very interesting stuff.

I agree they are very important, a musician can't succeed without creating a personal understanding what he plays in depth otherwise it won't sound original.

To be honest today I forgot many of the things I learned but all those lessons heavily affected the way I think about music, I guess that was the point anyway biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2014, 09:36 AM
Instructor
Amazing! biggrin.gif I think that regardless of the school you go to, if you have the great chance to meet with this sort of people, it's most definitely a great way to learn. The fun part is that they can be found anywhere smile.gif It's important to recognize them and to build a strong bond if possible!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:42 PM