Increase Bpm Speed, Frustrated :(
Twinbroz
Jul 16 2011, 02:20 AM
GMC:er
I've been playing for about almost 3 years now, and I take everything with practice, hard work and patience, but I feel its taking a bit long to speed up. What do you guys suggest to speed up most effectivly. I use economy picking and alternate picking, and circle pick instead of using my elbow/wrist to pick. I know people suggest the metronome game which I'm willing to do, but that takes a lot of patience. Exercises anyone?

Thanks in Advance! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Jul 16 2011, 02:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Firstly, welcome to gmc.

What's your current picking practice routine?
There are some good resources here that'll help you. But all you need is scales, 2nps, 3nps etc and break licks down and practice them in different picking patterns.

Stop chasing speed, instead try to become a fan of being accurate at a comfortable speed. You will be much happier and you'll see that your speed is also improving.

If you go nuts over achieving speed and take short-cuts, your shredding will sound shit.

I'm in the same boat. It can be frustrating for sure. So take it easy. Playing fast is not everything.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Twinbroz
Jul 16 2011, 03:05 AM
Yeah defintely. Im 110% about being clean and smooth, starting slow working my way up, it just feels like it takes forever haha. I know my scales, and I use guitarpro which has a loop system which increases the bmps, I set the speed high, like 200 bmp in sixteenths and you can drop the percentage every time it loops it raises the bmp 1-2 until it reaches full speed, so you can know kind of where you stand in terms of playing it clean instead of sloppy. Im a perfectionist with guitar so I'm on that path already. I'm more so about phrasing and vibrato then speed, but at this time I just want to speed up a bit.

Butt thanks for the welcoming biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Twinbroz: Jul 16 2011, 03:06 AM

+Quote Post
zen
Jul 16 2011, 03:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Cool, Looks like you're already doing the right thing then.
I'd say dont increase the bpm with every loop. STick to the same bpm for a few days. Increase every few days or so.

ALso, Mix it up, learn solos of songs etc along with your exercises.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 16 2011, 03:15 AM
Paul Gilbert need 8 years before shredding the hell of the the universe!

Keep train! don't worry about speed it will came out with time and don' forget, Musicality doesn't necessarily means World Domination Speed

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Twinbroz
Jul 16 2011, 03:32 AM
Alright, thanks so much guys. I actually do transcribe alot of solos too, until i think Its perfect, even if I have to use a program to slow it down and practice from there. But yeah Paul Gilbert is one of the fastest and cleanest guitarist alongside Takayoshi Ohmura and other japanese guitarist.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 16 2011, 04:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
I would add, get a looper if you don't have one,those quick on the fly recording of your progress with out the wasted time of using the computer ,have really helped me acknowledge my weak points

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 16 2011, 04:44 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 16 2011, 04:31 AM) *
I would add, get a looper if you don't have one,those quick on the fly recording of your progress with out the wasted time of using the computer ,have really helped me acknowledge my weak points

agreed, a looper is a very useful tool, no only recording your progress, but you can also record yourself and hear what you did wrong with more attention

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 16 2011, 10:07 AM
If you want some practice files write me at [email protected].

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jul 16 2011, 11:04 AM
Record yourself playing whatever you're trying to play, until you start making mistakes. This'll point out what areas you need to work on. What's the point of practicing 8 bars if you're only screwing up the 1? It's just time wasted.

As soon as you figure out whether it's inside the string picking, or finger endurance, or muting, or whatever it is, you can fix it with a custom exercise that repeats your difficulty over and over.

However, DO NOT rush building technique, it'll just mean you'll teach yourself to sound like garbage, and it'll take even MORE time to go back and correct it. Take your time, play confidently, play relaxed, play well.

Every time you play the line 1 bpm faster, perfectly, you've improved - take pride in these small steps.

Lastly, be honest with yourself. Is the piece too hard for you? Is it too easy? Pick something just above your ability, you'll see the fastest progress this way. Stick with it, man. Keep your inspiration up by listening to your favourite bands, it's too easy to burn out when focusing on technique like this, and then you'll just hate the guitar.

PS Guitar isn't a speed sport. We're playing music here.

This post has been edited by dark dude: Jul 16 2011, 11:05 AM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:43 PM