Hello From New England
Stringz
Jul 17 2011, 03:09 PM
GMC:er

Hello Everyone!

Very nice to be here in this place. The few lessons and accompanying jam tracks I've used have already inspired me. I've been playing for a while and have developed a few bad habits I'd like to break as well as finally learn some techniques I've always wanted to but never put the time and effort into. It's amazing how you can play the guitar at the same level and not push yourself for years. Hopefully that's all changing.

A couple quick things I'd like to work on.

- Pinky development. Probably my one major issue. Somehow I've manged to be able to use my pinky for chodal playing no problem but not really ever for scales and arpeggios related to soloing. I'm pretty comforatable with knowing where to navigate as far as the scales and shapes on the board for the melodies and licks I here in my head and have developed a fairly fluid style but I know it's the one main thing that's keeping me from being super bubbly and fast with octave licks and such. It kills me to see players use their pinky so easy. A lot of great players don't that much when soloing but I want to develop it.

- Sweep picking. I think this is related to the above pinky thing. I gave this technique a watered down effort years ago after listening to players like Vinnie Moore etc. Never really got close to pulling it off properly. I would love to be able to nail tis so it's like riding a bike. It really comes hard for me.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you all out here. Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 17 2011, 03:21 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Welcome to GMC, stringz!
Be sure to check as many of the weekly chats as you can, you'll get valuable advice from great instructors there. And don't be afraid to join in on the forum discussions wink.gif

Cheers

Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
gitarcitolga
Jul 17 2011, 03:23 PM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (Stringz @ Jul 17 2011, 02:09 PM) *
Hello Everyone!

Very nice to be here in this place. The few lessons and accompanying jam tracks I've used have already inspired me. I've been playing for a while and have developed a few bad habits I'd like to break as well as finally learn some techniques I've always wanted to but never put the time and effort into. It's amazing how you can play the guitar at the same level and not push yourself for years. Hopefully that's all changing.

A couple quick things I'd like to work on.

- Pinky development. Probably my one major issue. Somehow I've manged to be able to use my pinky for chodal playing no problem but not really ever for scales and arpeggios related to soloing. I'm pretty comforatable with knowing where to navigate as far as the scales and shapes on the board for the melodies and licks I here in my head and have developed a fairly fluid style but I know it's the one main thing that's keeping me from being super bubbly and fast with octave licks and such. It kills me to see players use their pinky so easy. A lot of great players don't that much when soloing but I want to develop it.

- Sweep picking. I think this is related to the above pinky thing. I gave this technique a watered down effort years ago after listening to players like Vinnie Moore etc. Never really got close to pulling it off properly. I would love to be able to nail tis so it's like riding a bike. It really comes hard for me.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you all out here. Cheers!

Hey dude, welcome to GMC!

Will be glad to see you around and chat in the forum about practising and everything. I'm a beginner but we both have a common target, sweep picking:)) c ya around !

--------------------
Cheers,
Tolga

-Life is beautiful-

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 17 2011, 03:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey there, welcome to GMC. Here's a little finger workout to get you started. By the way, I never thought I'd say it, but I actually miss living back home in New England biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Stringz
Jul 17 2011, 03:58 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (gitarcitolga @ Jul 17 2011, 02:23 PM) *
Hey dude, welcome to GMC!

Will be glad to see you around and chat in the forum about practising and everything. I'm a beginner but we both have a common target, sweep picking:)) c ya around !

We'll be sweeping like pros in a few months. I think. Thanks and I look forward to seeing you around.

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 17 2011, 02:24 PM) *
Hey there, welcome to GMC. Here's a little finger workout to get you started. By the way, I never thought I'd say it, but I actually miss living back home in New England biggrin.gif

Thanks Mudbone. That lesson is just what the doctor ordered. It's nice and sunny here now but this spring was a complete wash out. Look forward to seeing you out here.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 17 2011, 04:23 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Stringz ! I'm sure you'll find here everything you need for your own personal development wink.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 17 2011, 04:40 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC!

" A lot of great players don't that much when soloing but I want to develop it."

I think you should find at least one great player who does what you want and show it as an example. I think Paul Gilbert is one?

The pinky is naturally less strong than the others fingers so will need a lot more practice to do it, but then again Paul Gilbert pulls it off perfectly,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2011, 11:50 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Welcome to GMC!

how do you fare with your theory and harmony knowledge? biggrin.gif using the pinky is a great technique and it'll reveal whole new playing dimensions but, nevertheless, don't underestimate the importance of the other aspects of playing wink.gif

Our community has loads of lessons in all directions so, just search around and when in doubt - ask us smile.gif we'll be here for you for sure wink.gif see you around!

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jul 19 2011, 08:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey man, welcome to GMC smile.gif

Dogukan,

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 20 2011, 12:46 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Jul 20 2011, 01:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to GMC! Here is one of my favorite lessons that has some crazy sweeps...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...me-neo-classic/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-lesson/

This is a great place to learn!

Michael

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 20 2011, 10:03 AM
Instructor
Stringz ! Great to see you on the forum cool.gif

At the risk of looking like a shameless plug (which I guess it is, in some ways) I've got some legato lessons designed to bring the pinky out of the shadows and into play !

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato-2/

I've got a 4 part series dedicated to legato so you will find something among those that will get the pinky moving biggrin.gif

Regards sweep picking.. it's not my forte but maybe one of the other guys might be able to suggest a killer sweep lesson ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:16 PM