> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Roadside's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 24 2016, 08:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Roadside! Welcome to your mentoring thread.

Before we start, I'd like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roadside
Jul 24 2016, 09:28 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 24 2016, 08:26 PM) *
Hi Roadside! Welcome to your mentoring thread.

Before we start, I'd like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?

I can't count that one. Actually, I started playing guitar when I was around 15/16 - so 11 years ago. My gosh, that is a long time. First two to four years I have been totally self-taught together with a good friend. We started in what I would call the "Nu metal" era with bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, but also some more classical stuff such as Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Guns & Roses. It quickly transferred to even heavier stuff. Back then I guess Slipknot was a huge influence and as you know that is just quite a lot of alternate picking. Quite challenging speed for starters, so it was great fun. Of course, also learned the very basics. But selftaught. After some years I went to a local music school and was actually told that technique seems to be fine and that I just need to practice more frequently and harder. My first intention to learn theory at that school was not enough motivation to keep on. So my theory knowledge is very basic at the moment. Actually I recently also started to play a little piano to learn theory basics as well.

- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.

Alter Bridge, Stone Sour, Metallica, Machine Head, Led Zeppelin, Guns & Roses, but I also like a lot of softer stuff and a huge variety of music. Bands named are my background I would say.

For guitarists I have to name Mark Tremonti here since he is a major influence for me. I like his soloing style as well as his very unique rythms and melodies when finger picking. I also like his way of using a large scale of tunings.

Besides that it's a vast mix of all the big ones: Slash, Mark Knopfler, Clapton, Vai, Hammett.
More modern guitarists such as Jacky Vincent (Falling in Reverse) and/or Wes Borland are great musicians in their own modern style.

- What are your guitar goals?

Tough question. I guess for now I would like to be able to play, i.e. Alter Bridge album, through an entire Alter Bridge record without hesitating too much. I do like to play songs. And to write songs. So I wouldn't say that I am someone who is only looking into technique and speed, rather than looking into good songwriting and decent guitar skills.

- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?

In 5 years I would like to see two things come true: one is mentioned above and hopefully to be reached < 5 years. The other is that I have also started building own guitars. My profession is engineering, so that Im familiar with constructing and building technical products. As said, song writing is a thing I want to dig deeper into. So maybe in 5 years playing my own guitar in front of a nice crowd wouldn't be to bad, would it?

- How many time can you play guitar each day?

Actually that was always an issue in my case. I m quite busy with my job - business traveling national / international and working hours somewhat 7.30 a.m. - 6pm. In addition I go for runs every second day which would not roadblock any guitar activities. So as long as not traveling I can play every morning and/or every evening + weekends. In weeks of business traveling I might have to stop for 3-5 days from time to time.

- Do you have playing live experience?

Yes, I do. But this is minor and years back. School band, a few events with our old band. Crowd < 500 people.

- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?

Pros:

- Alternate Picking
- Riffing
- Legato (but since my break it also developed backwards)
- rythm guitar

Cons:

- Timing - at least I think so
- Speed - especially in lead guitar licks / solos
- Theory

- What do you know about music theory?

As mentioned above.

- Can you record videos of you playing?

Now here comes the sad topics. Right now, I cannot record any videos, same goes for audios. I have been living overseas for quite some time and returned back to Germany. So for now I have not set up equipment yet. But I should be able to record within next 2 weeks.
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

Hi Gabriel,

many thanks!

I will try to answer all your questions though I have to make some exceptions for the last two.

I answered right below your questions.

To wrap it up: I would say that currently I'm a decent rythm guitarist who needs to work more on lead guitar techniques and a regular training schedule. As you have seen I started 11 years back but I had major breaks within. With major I mean that 60% of this 11 years I did not play regularly. There are lots of excuses for that, which I don't want to push to the front anymore. Now it's time to start practicing again and I would appreciate if you support this project wink.gif

And by the way, it's Tim! Hoping to have a great time being trained here wink.gif

Edit: I just forgot one topic. Really need to train my ears. That is one thing i never knew how to work on.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Roadside: Jul 24 2016, 09:30 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 25 2016, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the info!

I wonder if maybe you can use your cellphone or borrow one to at least record yourself playing a bit to let me see your current guitar level to start from there.

If that's not possible, I think that the best would be that you choose 2 GMC lessons that you like to work during this first two weeks before you get the gear to record yourself. During this period you can ask here all the questions you have regarding technique and theory based on the lessons that you will work.

At the same time, we can dedicate some time to song analysis in order to start working in the direction of your songwriting goals. The first step is that you share here 5 songs that you like.

What do you think? Are you in?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Roadside
Jul 26 2016, 06:24 PM
Hi Gabriel,

yah, that's fine for me. Should be able to rec something the closer we come to the weekend smile.gif

Currently working on:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/move_y...le_finger!/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/in-the...llad-and-blues/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrasi...and-dynamics-2/ (though that one's a little tough in terms of speed)

And some songs, which I could upload a few parts of as well.

What do you think about the lessons? What would you add for topics a) timing cool.gif increasing speed?

Cheers,

Tim

+Quote Post
Roadside
Jul 27 2016, 07:48 AM
Forgot to share 5 songs tongue.gif

1. Led Zeppelin - Babe. I' m gonna leave you
2. Avenged Sevenfold - Beast & the harlot
3. Alter Bridge - Blackbird / Rise today / end is here
4. Trivium - He who spawned the furies
5. Madina Lake - House of Cards

Didn't think about it too much, but these are some good examples hopefully.

Looking forward to your approach to improve songwriting ;P

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2016, 12:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Roadside @ Jul 26 2016, 02:24 PM) *
Hi Gabriel,

yah, that's fine for me. Should be able to rec something the closer we come to the weekend smile.gif

Currently working on:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/move_y...le_finger!/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/in-the...llad-and-blues/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrasi...and-dynamics-2/ (though that one's a little tough in terms of speed)

And some songs, which I could upload a few parts of as well.

What do you think about the lessons? What would you add for topics a) timing cool.gif increasing speed?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim, the lessons that you are working are great. Piotr lessons are among my favorites at the site, and that dynamics lesson by Jose is really cool (Check out Darius dynamics lessons as well).

I don't think that you need to work on a lot of lessons by once so 3 lessons would be enough to start. However, you could maybe give a try to Todd Simpson's shred course.

Todd's Shred Bootcamp

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Roadside
Jul 28 2016, 07:41 AM
Hi Gabriel,

yah, I' ve seen Todds thread and really want to become a shredding soldier! Will record everything as soon as possible. Keeping you updated.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2016, 05:37 PM
Instructor
Excellent! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 15 2016, 10:08 PM
Hey Gab,

I m currently trying to improve my alternate picking & legato accuracy and speed. Therefore I would like to build up a plan besides usual lessons to work on scales with metronome support.

So I would start with some BPM I feel comfortable with. But which scales to practice? Can I just use GMC scale generator to generate Major and Minor scale as well as minor pentatonic to work on firstly? Change positions along fret board and go for it until Im exhausted? tongue.gif

What other scales to train? And is it the right way to play those with a metronome as often as I can or is there a different approach I m not thinking of?

Many thanks in advance smile.gif

TIm

BTW, here are the lessons I started working on. It is quite a lot so I will focus on two or three first of all:

- Gary Moore Style
- Move your Pinky
- not decided

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Roadside: Aug 15 2016, 10:12 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2016, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Practicing scales over metronome is not very effective. It's good for technique training but not to get the feel of the scale. The best is to practice scales over chords or backing tracks. You can use any software (amazing slowdowner, or Cubase) that let's you change the tempo of the backings in order to practice at different tempos or use different backings.

When practicing scales it's important to dedicate time to create phrases and melodies in order to learn how to use them in a musical way which is the most important thing. You can also practice sequences over scales as a technical and ear training exercise.

About what scales to practice. I would start in this order:

Pentatonic Scales

Major Scale (Ionian mode)

Minor Scale (Aeolian mode)

and then the other modes: Mixolydian, Lydian, Dorian, etc...

If technique and speed is the goal, you can combine learning some technique GMC lessons with this workout: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-_Shred_Journey

If theory and improvisation is the goal, you can use this course as a guide: Improvisation Course

Let me know if you have any questions and if this clarifies your questions...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 17 2016, 05:52 AM
HI Gab,

your advise sounds good to me. I will start setting up a schedule for scales. For me it is not about speed and accuracy only. Next step would have been improvising. This is of course the "overall goal".

Both threads, your's and Todd's look great. So I will give both a try.

Anyhow, I need to pay attention not to overload. Accuracy should always be Priority 1 I guess...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2016, 11:05 PM
Instructor
Sure! Could you please share here how you plan to organise your schedule?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 6 2017, 07:36 PM
Hi Gab,

so I'm nearly done with these:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Simple-Aminor-Soloing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla..._for_beginners/

But as I wanna record a close result, I will still go on for a few more days to sharpen it. I guess Ill upload until Friday.

In regards to my schedule I can share this one with you:

So actually I am quite busy with my job and earliest available time is 6 pm, if it is a good day. Besides that there's of course social life, girlfriend and stuff. Anyhow, my plan is to focus 2 hrs on concentrated playing. I booked 30 minutes per each lesson I am working on - on daily basis. My 2 hour schedule gives me space for 2 lessons at a time. Sufficient, what do you think?

As I also want to build up speed, hand synchronization and learn to apply scales over the fretboard, I booked another 30 minutes for these. Last 30 minutes is just for playing and writing to keep a musical approach and have fun besides the hard work tongue.gif

In addition I need to get down theory. I am a person who is enabled by understanding a theoretical background. I assume it will help me progress.

On weekends plan is to even increase 2hrs if possible.

So, what are your thoughts? And what would be your ideas for next lesson or do you want to see the uploaded takes first?

Talk to you soon

Tim

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2017, 06:37 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update.

I think that the plan sounds good so let's give it some more days to see if you feel comfortable with the time dedicated to each part of it. I'm interested in watching your videos in order to give you the right lessons to continue.

I think that we can also start with song analysis as we've talked previously. The first task for the next days is to write down the structure of each of the 5 songs that you've shared. You just need to write the parts (Ex: Intro - Verse - Bridge - Verse II, etc). Is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 12 2017, 06:40 PM
Hi Gab!

So, finally I took the decision to feed you a little although I am not pleased with the take yet.

Set-up:

Hughes&Kettner Head Tubemeister 36
DV Mark Neoclassical Box (happens to match the lesson, huh?)
Shure SM 57 -> Steinberg UR242
Recorded via Cubase

I went for a real amp recording as I think it is more precise and shows your weaknesses. Amp simulation kind of seem to smoothen your sound a lot.

Soundwise I used the brige pickup for the first part which is mainly on E and A string. Afterwards I switched to the neck pick up to have a warmer feeling on those notes on G-string. Still not fully happy with the sound. Sound is not mastered with EQ at all - still raw.

Playing:

- high E-string vibrato on 8th fret is still not pleasing. I am not sure why. My feeling tells me I am not giving enough vibrato range, but let me know your opinion. Last part could be cleaner as well and my overall timing could be improved.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Tim

Aaaah: and my webcam is something I need to replace smile.gif

By the way: I think I would like to work on https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/move_y...le_finger!/ as it will help me improve and reduce my finger movement for alternate picking as well as my pinky strength and control. What do you think?

This post has been edited by Roadside: Aug 13 2017, 06:52 AM

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 13 2017, 09:14 AM
Just did another try. Not better, but just to compare sounds. This one was done with Guitar Rig.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-heger-962320112/...nners-guitarrig

So somehow, I feel very uncomfortable with my sound playing on G,B,E strings. Any clue why? Do I vibrato out of pitch? It feels like no matter how precise I am playing it, its a biting sound

This post has been edited by Roadside: Aug 13 2017, 09:40 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2017, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great to see video and audio from you! smile.gif

I think that you could note which are the things that need adjustment in your playing at this point. The lesson is going on the right track, but there are some details to adjust. At first it's important to note why there are some parts, mostly in higher strings and frets that sound with pitch issues. This can be related to different issues:

- Guitar tuning, calibration or old strings.

- Too much fingers pressure.

- Vibrato that tends to be a bend.

You are the only one that can check what's the real reason why you are having this pitch problem.

On the other hand, I think that your vibrato, even if it's not the responsible of pitch issue is still a weak. We will work on some lessons specifically based on this technique, starting with this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/

About the move your pinky lesson, I love it. It's perfect but I don't think that it's a good idea to incorporate another lesson (besides the vibrato one), but if you are too motivated, you can go for it and maybe practice one or two parts as exercises.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 13 2017, 09:42 PM
Hi Gab,

yeah I agree with you. Ill go for it, maybe the pinky as well.

Tuning was finely adjusted. I will change strings as I even had a very experienced guitarist here who sounded similar on my guitar.

Give me a week or two to work on Vibrato lesson. A minor simple soloing is also still missing.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 13 2017, 07:02 PM) *
Hi mate, great to see video and audio from you! smile.gif

I think that you could note which are the things that need adjustment in your playing at this point. The lesson is going on the right track, but there are some details to adjust. At first it's important to note why there are some parts, mostly in higher strings and frets that sound with pitch issues. This can be related to different issues:

- Guitar tuning, calibration or old strings.

- Too much fingers pressure.

- Vibrato that tends to be a bend.

You are the only one that can check what's the real reason why you are having this pitch problem.

On the other hand, I think that your vibrato, even if it's not the responsible of pitch issue is still a weak. We will work on some lessons specifically based on this technique, starting with this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/

About the move your pinky lesson, I love it. It's perfect but I don't think that it's a good idea to incorporate another lesson (besides the vibrato one), but if you are too motivated, you can go for it and maybe practice one or two parts as exercises.

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 14 2017, 09:37 AM
One thing to add: actually I turned down the intensity of vibrato on purpose as I feel it is a little too much on the lesson. So maybe after resolving the pitch issue Ill post an update with stronger vibrato.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2017, 03:29 PM
Instructor
Good! I'll wait for news.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:08 AM