Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
rokchik
Sep 18 2007, 11:26 AM
The Dark Canuck
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-_Rumors_Review

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jul 8 2009, 10:23 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 18 2007, 02:58 PM
GMC:er
I have to agree. This is one of the best albums, together with their "white album", from one of the greatest groups ever. Thanks rokchik for reminding me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 18 2007, 11:43 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Sep 18 2007, 09:58 AM) *
I have to agree. This is one of the best albums, together with their "white album", from one of the greatest groups ever. Thanks rokchik for reminding me.

Great review Rok - if you only ever listen to one Fleetwood Mac album in your life, make it this one!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2007, 12:24 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Great review Rokchik.

Rumours has to be one of the top 100 'popular' albums of all time - it's got some great composition and playing. (Steely Dan - The Royal Scam is another top 100 to me - could be a new thread idea here...)

Saw a recent recording on BBC of Stevie Nicks and Lyndsey Buckingham in concert - great show and nice to see them back together on stage.

Pre 'Rumours' Fleetwood Mac - a special mention for Peter Green. He was the guitar player in the early more blues based Fleetwood Mac before, as Rokchik rightly says, they went for a more California rock sound, is arguably one of the great 'lost' British guitar players. (Lost because he had a drum induced mental breakdown some 25-30 years ago and pretty much lives in seclusion now.) Green wrote 'Albatross' and 'Black Magic Woman' (which Santana also recorded) for Fleetwood Mac and also 'The Supernatural' in earlier days. Green was the guitar player who replaced Eric Clapton in Mayall's Blues Breakers when Clapton left - he was that good. He was once described - I think by Alexis Korner - as 'the greatest British blues guitar player'.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 19 2007, 04:31 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 19 2007, 01:24 AM) *
(Lost because he had a drum induced mental breakdown some 25-30 years ago and pretty much lives in seclusion now.) Green wrote 'Albatross' and 'Black Magic Woman' (which Santana also recorded) for Fleetwood Mac and also 'The Supernatural' in earlier days. Green was the guitar player who replaced Eric Clapton in Mayall's Blues Breakers when Clapton left - he was that good. He was once described - I think by Alexis Korner - as 'the greatest British blues guitar player'.

Cheers,
Tony

Tssss... Drum induced? Could you ellaborate a bit on this tony? wink.gif
Yes, Green was a great guitarist.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 19 2007, 09:03 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Sep 19 2007, 12:31 AM) *
Tssss... Drum induced? Could you ellaborate a bit on this tony? wink.gif
Yes, Green was a great guitarist.

I think what Tony meant was Drug induced...LSD I think to be more precise. And your right Tony...it was a great loss. Green was amazing. I was going to metion him originally but I kind of got carried away with the Fleetwood Mac history so I scaled it back. Fleetwood Mac has one of the most interesting stories with regards to the actual band then any other artist I can think of. Make ups. Break ups, affairs, drugs....just crazy stuff. And that's just between band members. smile.gif Buckingham and Nicks will always be one of the best guitarist/vocal combos for me. It's just magic when they get together and perform.

I'm glad you guys liked the review. Rumors is one of my all time favorite albums. It's my go too album actually when I'm a bit blue. It always makes me feel better. I"ve always thought that Fleetwood Mac kind of got lost when people start talking about the greats. Again glad you enjoyed. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by rokchik: Sep 26 2007, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2007, 09:23 AM
laugh.gif drum induced - sorry my typo although I've played with a few drummers who have that sort of effect on me...

Have to say that Rumours can lift me up when I'm a bit down but can also upset me a bit at other times. Mainly as it brings back some painful memories of a previous relationship... Must be the sign of a great album though - one that can move you and bring back memories smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

ps - Buckingham/Nicks - they still had a spark between them even now. Lyndsey Buckingham is a really under-rated guitar player.

Another great concert in the same BBC series was Dave Gilmour - some great playing.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 20 2007, 01:24 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 19 2007, 05:23 AM) *
ps - Buckingham/Nicks - they still had a spark between them even now. Lyndsey Buckingham is a really under-rated guitar player.

I couldn't agree more Tony. I watched "The Dance" DVD the other night after writing the review for Rumors, and it is just amazing the chemistry those two have. They bring out the best in each other musically that is for sure. Have you seen that concert by the way? Amazing! Buckinghams version of "Big Love" from this concert was just awesome. I posted it before in the guitarist analyse section...I'll look for it again and post later...at work now.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Sep 20 2007, 01:25 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 20 2007, 02:19 AM
Don't think I have seen it Rokchik - I'll keep an eye out for it thanks.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 20 2007, 08:14 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 19 2007, 10:19 PM) *
Don't think I have seen it Rokchik - I'll keep an eye out for it thanks.

Cheers,
Tony

It's definatley worth checking out. It was the reunion concert they did back in like '97 or something. You tube has some clips from it actually. Here is the version of "Big Love" from that concert. Probably my favourite version of it actually. I also included "Silver Springs" from this concert as it shows Lindseys unique strumming style...he uses no pick...and also I think it really shows the chemistry between him and Nicks with all the looks to one another throughout the song. Plus it's just so beautiful. I just wish they would have done "Never Going back Again" as then they would have done my 3 favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRXWquppKPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ0QUpEnKw0

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 20 2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks Rokchik - great videos smile.gif . I'll definately have to get that dvd now smile.gif . Lyndsey on Big Love was particulary great to me - fabulous guitar playing and singing blink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Sep 26 2007, 05:24 AM
Haven't listened to "Rumours" in years - I really should correct that! Thanks for the reminder of what a good album this is.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 26 2007, 05:29 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Sep 26 2007, 01:24 AM) *
Haven't listened to "Rumours" in years - I really should correct that! Thanks for the reminder of what a good album this is.

No problem...glad you enjoyed the review. I think Rumors was one of the first albums I put on my iPod when I got it smile.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 26 2007, 04:56 PM
I remember where I was when I heard the album that preceded this, in my bedroom, came on the radio, "Monday Morning". As each song was played I kept thinking "all these songs are good, this can't go on, no album has all good songs, they put some filler in all of them". But it went on, to my disbelief, all the way to the end.

And even more astounding, Rumors was just as good. I notice no skulls, blood, weapons of mutilation in any of the footer's of comments so far, don't expect to see any, music such as this is only for unsophisticated souls such as ourselves.

edit:

In the 1996 reunion, I thought the USC band coming on stage was pretty cool. For those uninitiated, not only is USC one of the finest Universities in the world, but they have one of the best Football programs. Needless to say, you don't get into the USC marching band unless you are quite good.

I was not aware that the association with USC of Fleetwood Mac came earlier, until I saw this clip. Notice Stevie twirling that baton, quite good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3FsQHZaqqMQ

edit2: when I say "Football", I mean real football, you know, not the girlie man game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p5L946k9mww

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 26 2007, 05:13 PM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 26 2007, 05:02 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 26 2007, 05:56 PM) *
I notice no skulls, blood, weapons of mutilation in any of the footer's of comments so far, don't expect to see any, music such as this is only for unsophisticated souls such as ourselves.

biggrin.gif wink.gif

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 27 2007, 09:14 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 26 2007, 12:56 PM) *
I remember where I was when I heard the album that preceded this, in my bedroom, came on the radio, "Monday Morning". As each song was played I kept thinking "all these songs are good, this can't go on, no album has all good songs, they put some filler in all of them". But it went on, to my disbelief, all the way to the end.

And even more astounding, Rumors was just as good. I notice no skulls, blood, weapons of mutilation in any of the footer's of comments so far, don't expect to see any, music such as this is only for unsophisticated souls such as ourselves.

Fleetwood Mac have some amazing music. The writing is just great and the songs are from the heart. Not to mention the musicianship. Both the "White Album" and Rumors are testiments to how great this band is. It's just a shame that they kind of fall by the way side most of the time. And I agree with what you said about the USC band on "The Dance" reunion. Icing on the cake for me....Tusk never sounded better smile.gif

PS: I have a skeleton on my footer....but he's Irish and just wants a pint of Guinness tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:24 PM