2 Pages V   1 2 >  
3 String Sweeping Exercise, Beginners +
Rating 5 V
Chris Evans
Jul 22 2008, 09:03 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
time for another one from me smile.gif

Not a solo here to learn as such this time, this is purely an exercise for people wanting to learn to start sweep picking, as with all techniques you need to start off very slow and build up to the speed your looking for.
I`ve called this a beginner "+" lesson as with this exercise you can start off learning to sweep pick (maybe pick one of the slower backings to start with) and build upwards, hence the "+" smile.gif

I found that sweep picking was one of the hardest techniques to get a grip of, I`m still looking at my sweep picking to improve it further, for me its a technique that I learnt much later in my playing career and wished I`d started a lot sooner!
when trying to sweep pick you need to be as smooth as possible, and glide the pick over the strings in unison with your fretting hand, as with everything its a matter of practising over and over and over again, but once you get the mechanics of sweep picking it will all start to come together, 5 string sweeping is also a fantastic tool to learn, but for me I found learning how to 3 string sweep well first made 5 string sweeping a whole lot easier!

With this exercise I`m not going to go into much detail with regards keys and tabbing out each section, I`ve provided tabs for each sweep position, this exercise should help you build up sweep picking speed and get you into moving the sweep pattern around as well, I`m only using two sweep pattern shapes which are minor & major patterns.

Each video that is provided is for demonstration purposes to show you how to increase your speed from very slow to fast using just one backing track at 120BPM, I have provided 100BPM and 80BPM backing tracks also to help with speed when you move on a bit later smile.gif

so again here is the main video where I have combined various stages of speed that you can try out from very slow to finishing with fast sweeping.

Main Demo Video
Attached File  3_string_sweep_exercise_main_video.wmv ( 9.59MB ) Number of downloads: 4714

So, now lets start off with the slowest speed first, same backing at 120BPM but whats being played is slow, this is to get the fingers and brain all working together, once the notes are firmly implanted in the memory you can start to think about the next step.

Heres what you should be aiming at to begin with.

Demo Vid 1
Attached File  Demo_1.wmv ( 8.92MB ) Number of downloads: 3472

You can see in Video 1 what fingering that I am using to play these arpegios.

ok so lets look at the tabs

First position is a minor arpegio

Position 1
H/P
E||-------------8---12----8--------------||
B||-------10--------------------10-------||
G||--9--------------------------------9---||
D||----------------------------------------||
A||----------------------------------------||
E||----------------------------------------||

To explain the picking a little further, looking at the above tab we pick with a down stroke on the 9th, 10th and 8th fret, then using the pinky hammer on the 12th fret pulling off to make the 8th fret ring and pick with an up stroke the 10th and 9th fret, apply this to each arpegio.

position 2 (Major arpegio)

E||------------7---10---7------------||
B||-------8------------------8-------||
G||--7---------------------------7---||
D||-----------------------------------||
A||-----------------------------------||
E||-----------------------------------||

Position 3 (major arpegio)

E||------------5----8----5--------------||
B||-------6-------------------6---------||
G||--5----------------------------5-----||
D||--------------------------------------||
A||--------------------------------------||
E||--------------------------------------||

Posiion 4 (Minor arpegio)

E||------------3----7---3---------------||
B||-------5------------------5----------||
G||--4----------------------------4-----||
D||--------------------------------------||
A||--------------------------------------||
E||--------------------------------------||

ok, so once you`ve got the hang of each shape and moving around the fret board we can start to look at increasing the speed a little more, try something along these lines for the next jump in speed (backing still at 120BPM)

Demo Vid 2
Attached File  Demo_2.wmv ( 9.89MB ) Number of downloads: 2211

The next step in speed is probably starting to sound something like what you want, its important to get the flow going and this is where I found when learning "Video 2" most helpful, it made me concentrate on the actual notes being played and trying to keep it all flowing, once thats firmly planted in the brain, you can try moving on to Video 3, which is probably where your sweeps are going to start sounding how you want, rather than playing sweeps constantly give your self a small break as you will see in the next video and keep the pick gliding lightly up and down.
this next video changes the picking pattern very slightly, so we start with a down sweep stopping on the last hammer on note, then reverse the sweep starting on the final note and sweeping upwards. (apologies for the video volume in this one, its a little low, didnt realise till I`d rendered and played a few moments ago, after I closed Vegas and lost that project!)

Demo Vid 3
Attached File  Demo_3.wmv ( 10.02MB ) Number of downloads: 1316

In Video 3 you should start to hear your arpegios a little more how you want them to be, just practise the picking strokes up and down until you get them flowing nice and smoothly.
once you are happy you can then look at increasing speed again, in Video 4 you want to start looking at the slight right palm muting that is now going to be required as you increase speed its a very slight touch that again will come with practise, you still want the notes to ring out, but not "ring on".

Demo Vid 4
Attached File  Demo_4.wmv ( 10.11MB ) Number of downloads: 1063

By now the mechanics of how to actually sweep pick should be there and implanted, its just a question of practise, practise and more practise, then you can increase the speed, try something along the lines of video 5

Demo Vid 5
Attached File  Demo_5.wmv ( 10.79MB ) Number of downloads: 1466

Try to keep the sweeps even and smooth, combining the palm muting as your sweeping down and up.

Backing tracks

120BPM Attached File  Sweeping_Exercise_120BPM.mp3 ( 1.07MB ) Number of downloads: 1306

100BPM Attached File  Sweeping_Exercise_100BPM.mp3 ( 1.54MB ) Number of downloads: 801

80BPM Attached File  Sweeping_Exercise_80BPM.mp3 ( 1.93MB ) Number of downloads: 1025

Tab in Notepad form
Attached File  Position_tabs.txt ( 1.23K ) Number of downloads: 836

The whole purpose of this exercise/lesson was not to copy what I`m playing, thats why the format is a little different, I`ve given you examples of how to use a reasonable speed backing track to build up your speed on sweep picking, how you choose to do the sweeps is of course entirely up to you, sometimes I find playing a technique very slowly to a very slow backing track a little bit of a drag, hopeful you can see that you dont always have to have a really slow backing track to play an exercise slowly smile.gif

any questions feel free to ask as always smile.gif

I hope this will be of some help to some of you

Till next time, all the best and keep practising biggrin.gif

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Jul 22 2008, 09:15 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 22 2008, 09:28 PM
Instructor
Terrific lesson! smile.gif
A doable and interesting lesson on sweeping smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jul 22 2008, 09:45 PM
Instructor
great lesson my friend !!! love this "minisweep" as I use to call it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 22 2008, 11:57 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Very well thought out lesson bro! Sweeping has definitely been on my agenda to practice and your lesson will certainly help. By the way, that custom sounds awesome! Thanks man!

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 23 2008, 10:20 AM
GMC:er
Great lesson mate very informative, should be excellent for both beginners and some intermediate smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jul 23 2008, 01:18 PM
First off, awesome lesson! Second - gorgeous guitar man, very jealous!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 23 2008, 03:30 PM
Instructor
Great lesson Chris, I see you want to become a full time instructor, lessons are getting better and better smile.gif

Guitar is awesome smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 23 2008, 03:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice lesson, Siggum!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 23 2008, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 23 2008, 04:35 PM) *
Nice lesson, Siggum!

Thanks, im good at sweeping eh?? but wait ...somethings wrong... im not bald and i dont have a custom guitar, laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 23 2008, 04:21 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 23 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Nice lesson, Siggum!

huh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Siggum @ Jul 23 2008, 03:41 PM) *
Thanks, im good at sweeping eh?? but wait ...somethings wrong... im not bald and i dont have a custom guitar, laugh.gif laugh.gif

mad.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

thanks guys smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Jul 23 2008, 06:04 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I know you have already said that you don't think you have anything "new to offer" in terms of being a full instructor but I think with this lesson you have proved yourself wrong!.

I truly believe that some of your lessons surpass the quality of some of the full instructor lessons here ( I don't mean that offensively to other full instructors)and offer so much to new players.

Over the last year i have been a member your dedication to GMC has been admirable and i wish i could say the same for myself,

In short i think you are highly derserving of the badge GMC instructor and I congratulate you on being one of the nicest blokes i have ever seen grace an internet forum!

So Kris if your reading do us all a favour and let Chris here be a full time intructor you know you want to......

Love and Bruises

Alex

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 23 2008, 06:05 PM
QUOTE (Alex Lewis @ Jul 23 2008, 07:04 PM) *
I know you have already said that you don't think you have anything "new to offer" in terms of being a full instructor but I think with this lesson you have proved yourself wrong!.

I truly believe that some of your lessons surpass the quality of some of the full instructor lessons here ( I don't mean that offensively to other full instructors)and offer so much to new players.

Over the last year i have been a member your dedication to GMC has been admirable and i wish i could say the same for myself,

In short i think you are highly derserving of the badge GMC instructor and I congratulate you on being one of the nicest blokes i have ever seen grace an internet forum!

So Kris if your reading do us all a favour and let Chris here be a full time intructor you know you want to......

Love and Bruises

Alex

Well put, signed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 23 2008, 06:20 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Agree 150%! I know to be an instructor it takes alot of time, but Chris, you put as much time into these SI lessons as you would doing regular lesson's. Look forward to seeing New Instructor post from Kris! tongue.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 23 2008, 07:11 PM
thanks Alex, thats really nice of you to say those things, other than "thanks" I really dont know what else to say in reply laugh.gif

cheers Skenny smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
inertia
Jul 23 2008, 07:50 PM
Great lesson smells, new guitar is amazing

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 23 2008, 08:00 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Great lesson Chris. i love your new guitar. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 23 2008, 08:29 PM
the new guitar is awesome thanks, plays fantastic and sounds great too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jul 24 2008, 08:51 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Great lesson as always Smells, I've never been into sweeping but I think I will use this to start learning.

Thanks biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Siggum @ Jul 23 2008, 10:41 AM) *

Sig,
You're probably a bit taller too, right???

laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif Just busting your balls Chris

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Jul 24 2008, 08:52 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 24 2008, 11:37 PM
QUOTE (Henry Dietzel @ Jul 24 2008, 08:51 PM) *
Sig,
You're probably a bit taller too, right???

laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif Just busting your balls Chris

mad.gif you been talking with Bondy aint ya!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jul 25 2008, 08:46 AM
Learning Roadie
I aint said Nout Chris LOL great lesson i need to learn sweeps Cool

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:36 PM