> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 104 105 106 107 108 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Aug 26 2019, 09:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

It was brilliant, we went into the main university area of Cambridge today, you will see it on my Insta feed, but Google images will give you a lot more wink.gif Definately going back and visiting the inside of Kings College and some other places there.

Right, back to guitar. The dominant arpeggio shape you showed me HERE, does it have a name? You mention the C shape in the CAGED system, is that its name? I just want to know for future reference so that all you have to say is "C shape arpeggio" (unless it's called something else) and I'll know exactly what you mean and where the root is wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 27 2019, 02:05 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Nice to know that you've enjoyed your journey! smile.gif

YES! E dominant arpeggio (C shape)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 27 2019, 09:09 PM
Thanks buddy,

Okay, I had a go at playing the chords and scales/arpeggios over a metronome, I struggled as I kept on losing where I was in the measure, it was also hard to play rhythmically. I will carry on trying though. I found this video, their channel has lots of these at different tempos and fo now I think it might help me feel the groove. If you think it's a bad idea I won't do it. May if I can find one with 16th or 8th notes it might help.

https://youtu.be/4y7u1FtMCdk

I then wanted to get my teeth into my REC lesson, I was disappointed because the GP5 file is incorrect, it's just chords, I love learning using GP. I guess I'll just have to use the Tab. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/blues_...ntasy_in_g-min/

Speak soon.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 27 2019, 09:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2019, 02:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! It's a very good idea to practice over drum loops! I also think that it makes practice more enjoyable. Go for it! And share some vids here. biggrin.gif

I've checked the lesson and the guitar pro is correct. The lead guitar is on track 2. You can click on it to see it or you can set the overall view as "multitrack" to see both things. Let me know if you need help with it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 28 2019, 02:24 PM
Ahh thanks Gab,

It's the first time I've experienced that with GP, thanks, I'll sort it out.

Regarding the drum track, the main thing with that one is that it has the count in a visual format so that I can follow the measures (bars), it's one of my BIG problem areas just following bars never mind trying to follow the chords too, I just get carried away and end up playing 10 bars of improv laugh.gif I think I'll play the chords for two bars just one strum per 1/4 note for a while until I get better and then just two bars each of the scales/arpeggio and then mix up the chords and improv.

It's going to take a while but it will take as long as it takes, I can't grab any more free time than I have so it will be what it is wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 29 2019, 03:58 PM
Instructor
I see mate. It's a good idea to have the count on screen. I think that I'll use it with other students since this is a common issue when getting into improvisation.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 29 2019, 09:38 PM
Cheers Gab,

I'm glad I've found something you can use with other students. I haven't checked how many they've got yet though.

I worked late today so only had a short practise but I think it will help when I can get some solid time on it. I just glance up at it, I don't watch it. After doing two bars each chord and/or scale /arp my next hurdle is the 12 bar and remembering the chord sequence but that's not to worry about now.

By the way, have you seen how many views we've had on this thread? It's averaging 865 per week. Amazing, where are all these people???

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 30 2019, 08:10 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 30 2019, 09:11 PM
UPDATE to the above.

MY MOJO IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mojo is back and I think it's down to getting back into practising a REC lesson AND MAINLY finally destroying that seed that was planted a while ago (see PM). I think adding that Phantasy in G minor has given me something to work on that sounds musical other than trying to just improvise with limited luck library, and it has inspired me to get going again.

Tonight I enjoyed EVERYTHING, I got the first four bars of the REC lesson down at 75% speed, I practised improv along with that drum track, only very simple but I did throw a few bends in, except on the arpeggio section, I had a go at Todds QL38 which eluded me for ages and I had to skip it and move on, I ain't doing that again, I'm gonna nail it.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 31 2019, 03:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2019, 01:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 29 2019, 05:38 PM) *
Cheers Gab,

I'm glad I've found something you can use with other students. I haven't checked how many they've got yet though.

I worked late today so only had a short practise but I think it will help when I can get some solid time on it. I just glance up at it, I don't watch it. After doing two bars each chord and/or scale /arp my next hurdle is the 12 bar and remembering the chord sequence but that's not to worry about now.

By the way, have you seen how many views we've had on this thread? It's averaging 865 per week. Amazing, where are all these people???

Cheers buddy.

That's awesome! You must be inspiring lots of people. Hello stranger! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2019, 02:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 30 2019, 05:11 PM) *
UPDATE to the above.

MY MOJO IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mojo is back and I think it's down to getting back into practising a REC lesson AND MAINLY finally destroying that seed that was planted a while ago (see PM). I think adding that Phantasy in G minor has given me something to work on that sounds musical other than trying to just improvise with limited luck library, and it has inspired me to get going again.

Tonight I enjoyed EVERYTHING, I got the first four bars of the REC lesson down at 75% speed, I practised improv along with that drum track, only very simple but I did throw a few bends in, except on the arpeggio section, I had a go at Todds QL38 which eluded me for ages and I had to skip it and move on, I ain't doing that again, I'm gonna nail it.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil!! This sounds GREAT mate. Enjoy your mojo! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 1 2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm never going to let negative comments affect me again, fuck 'em, you gotta believe in yourself regardless of what others think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the GP5 file for the Phantasy in G minor, it is incorrect for the bpm, it's set to 80 but the track is 90. I've edited it for my file, maybe you could alter the downloadable one?

I'll be shooting you a couple of videos tomorrow. Don't get excited, it's only basic stuff for the improv just so you can see if I'm on the right track and a video of the first few bars of the REC lesson.

Sent you a PM about you wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2019, 01:44 PM
Instructor
Thanks Phil! I've just fixed that lesson! wink.gif

Looking forward your videos.

Both PM answered! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 2 2019, 09:00 PM
Thanks Gab,

Okay, I ran out of time so only managed one video, mostly due to making so many mistakes due to rec button syndrome. I didn't realise how much I wasn't doing bends and vibrato in my improvisation practise for months, it really showed in my fingertips, they are sore after practising this for a while.

Anyway, any tips greatly received, I know where the problems are, mainly lack of vibrato and bending to pitch is off a little bit, it lacks life, sounds flat and dull so I need to work on that as well as getting it up to speed and learning the rest of the piece. I've just posted for advice that's all smile.gif

https://youtu.be/oXIqYywAyb0

Cheers buddy, I'll get some chords and improv to you tomorrow although this has made me realise how lifeless my improvs are wink.gif

Peace.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2019, 01:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Nice vid mate!

Yes, this one shows that you need some more bending training. You seem to be searching the note and your hands are not smooth yet but this will happen soon. Both hands movements look great, relaxed and consistent. You only need more practice. It's been wise to do it.

The key to maintain our technique is to train a bit every day all those elements that we like. In this case, you are doing it with this lesson but during times where you focus more on shapes and scales, it's very important to dedicate some minutes to jam over a backing track and giving some time to vibrato, bending, legato and picking.

Keep going mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 3 2019, 08:51 PM
Thanks Gab I'm on it.

I apologise if this is excruciating to watch but this is so so hard for me at the moment. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to try to improvise AND follow the chords using three different shapes and then on top of that the REC button! wacko: blink.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif One shape over everything is what I've always done so this makes me feel like I'm 5 years old biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Apologies for the clipping on the first chords, I was recording direct sound at the same time as video and forgot to check levels rolleyes.gif

Some chords are a bit dodgy, nerves nerves nerves tongue.gif tongue.gif

https://youtu.be/IUD3Ns2XYis

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2019, 04:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great to see you working on this!

I recommend you to try to create shorter phrases, using less notes. I've recorded a quick jam for you to give some ideas on how to work this. My tempo here is 50 bpm and the key is A.

Attached File  Phil_Sample.mp3 ( 2.85MB ) Number of downloads: 69

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2019, 08:51 PM
Thanks for that Gab,

I had a good listen, it's great, but, I can't work out the structure that you're playing. Sometimes it seems one measure, sometimes more and are you playing the same shapes as I do? Sorry but even with all of the ear training I do it's very hard at the moment to know those things.

Would it be a good idea to go a bit more freestyle with the measure as long as I play a chord at the beginning of a measure when I do play one? And stick to the A major pent over i, revised D minor pent over iv and the arpeggio over v?

I've put that into Soundcloud and in my revision folder, I hope that's okay with you.

Cheers

English lesson:

Now you can really shine, lots of English people get this wrong and you will be correcting your peers in no time biggrin.gif cool.gif .

"....using less notes" should be "...using fewer notes". Once you get it into your head, you will spot when it is incorrect. Basically, if it can be counted it's "fewer". Examples: Less water in fewer bottles. Less gas in fewer canisters. Fewer sweets in fewer bags means less confectionary for the children to eat. Fewer minutes allows less time to get the job done.

Taken from THISThe Plain English Campaign has a simple rule of thumb to help everyone: less means "not as much," whereas fewer means "not as many".

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2019, 01:26 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the English class!! I hope you find fewer errors in my posts. 😁. (not sure if “error” is the best word here.

I’m playing some kind of freestyle blues progression and I’m using the same shapes than you. You don’t have to identity what I’m playing at each moment. The idea is that you get inspired by the phrasing and rhythm that I’m using. Notice the ‘call and response’ nature of my improvisation.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 5 2019, 08:57 AM
I hear ya Gab,

Yeah, "error" is a bit strong but in a REC take it would be classed as an error wink.gif It's a nice one to know though even though many people don't recognise the "error" wink.gif

Regarding your jam, I do hear the call and response and I often manage to do it in the collabs,at least one instructor usually comments on my call and response. I guess it's just training my mind more over time to cope with thinking about so much. It will come eventually wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2019, 12:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 5 2019, 04:57 AM) *
I hear ya Gab,

Yeah, "error" is a bit strong but in a REC take it would be classed as an error wink.gif It's a nice one to know though even though many people don't recognise the "error" wink.gif

Regarding your jam, I do hear the call and response and I often manage to do it in the collabs,at least one instructor usually comments on my call and response. I guess it's just training my mind more over time to cope with thinking about so much. It will come eventually wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

Great! Notice how I’m using fewer notes for each phrase, and what’s even more important, I’m targeting chord tones.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 104 105 106 107 108 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:41 PM