Finally Done With School
Ulrik
Jan 18 2012, 03:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi my GMC-family biggrin.gif
I've been somewhat abscent for the last months, but now I can announce:

It took me a long time and along some different paths,
but today I finished my last exam, and I am now a physical therapist.

Hopefully I can manage some more guitar playing now, although I got a full time job from February.
(And go ahead with them virtual bands, I would like to try some more singing if possible)

How do you guys with full time jobs manage to find the time?
I probably see some kids in my future too, it's gonna get tough if think. ohmy.gif

Now that I got a job and money, I'll get some drum software and a camera for REC.

Over and out!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 18 2012, 03:15 PM
GMC:er
Congrazts man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 18 2012, 03:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Good news!!

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jan 18 2012, 03:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yes it is, thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 18 2012, 03:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Mate thats great news for you, Congrats on passing your tests.

I have a 9 month old boy and a full time job, and it isn't easy to get the things you want done in a day.

I found if you get everything done during the day / after work then you can have a few hours in the evening to practice guitar. It also depends how motivated you are.... Nothing worse than coming home and being exhausted and telling yourself I have to play guitar, then it becomes a chore ya know?
I try and have a few short term goals, that way even if you dont get the amount of time you want everyday, whatever time you do get does bring these short term goals closer.

Good Luck with it

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2012, 03:50 PM
Instructor
Congrats man!! It's great to know that the things are turning as you planned in your life! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 19 2012, 07:48 AM
Instructor
Congrats! that's so great to hear! lookng forward for your takes smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jan 19 2012, 09:42 AM
Learning Rock Star

6 years from now I will be a medical doctor. I'll answer your question then. xD

This post has been edited by Alexiaden93: Jan 19 2012, 09:43 AM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 19 2012, 10:27 AM
Instructor
Great news Ulrik, it will be really cool to have you around the forums again ! smile.gif

QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Jan 19 2012, 08:42 AM) *
6 years from now I will be a medical doctor. I'll answer your question then. xD

A doctor with a black belt.. if someone causes trouble in the hospital you can kick their ass ! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jan 19 2012, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 19 2012, 07:31 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Congrats Ulrik, that's great news!

I have a full-time job, but since I live alone and don't have a huge circle of friends in my new city (just moved a couple of month ago) I usually find 30 to 60 minutes every evening to practice guitar or just jam around.
As you said yourself, the good thing is you got more money to spend it for guitar related stuff. Well, I did at least laugh.gif

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 19 2012, 10:02 PM
Instructor
That is awesome man, I wish you lots of success, and children soon, why not! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 19 2012, 10:30 PM
Instructor
Congrats man, it's always exciting when you turn a new page in your life! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jan 20 2012, 01:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you everybody!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 20 2012, 01:32 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Congrats mate cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 24 2012, 12:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Jan 18 2012, 06:06 AM) *
I probably see some kids in my future too, it's gonna get tough if think. ohmy.gif

Oooooh. You don't "find time" when you're a working-family guy. Plain and simple. If you are living with your girl-friend/wife, and plan to have kids - the "having kids" is a game changer. If you work and she's home with the kid, then from her point of view, she's been working all day and when you get home, it's time for you to relieve her of kid-duty so she can relax. If you are spotted sitting on the couch relaxing, you're LAZY - you should be playing with kid(s), doing dishes, anything that puts the house in order. You may think it not a big deal, but pretty soon, if you are not bringing home the bacon, or getting house-stuff done instead of noodling on your guitar, your guitar (a play thing) will become the object of her hate and a source of bitterness.

If you are the bread-winner, and she pays the bills, be prepared for sleepless nights because she worries about the bills she has to pay with your pay check - but you don't seem concerned about it because you're TOO busy playing with your guitar-toy! And if she's not sleeping at night, then either are you because I can guarantee she's gonna wanna talk to you at 2:00 a.m. to get it off her chest so she can get to sleep and stop worrying!

Been there <-- done that <-- 3 kids, 2 finally graduating college and one just turned 13. Being a parent who wants to "play" guitar is a very LONG road to travel. You don't get days off from this concern. Kids are not weekend-free!

So, you don't "find time". You "make time". Make it known what night is your "bowling night out" if you're gonna play a show. and when you plan to practice with the band. Don't practice at home while the "kid(s)" are awake, because they'll grow up thinking you care more about your guitar than them. Same holds true for your wife. If you're fortunate, she goes to bed early which gives you a few hours to practice when she doesn't have to see the back of your head smile.gif There are non-prescription drugs on the market you can lace her tea with (I"M KIDDING, DON'T DO THIS!) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

I wait til the family is IN bed - usually at 10:00 p.m., then I practice til 2:00 a.m. Be extra quiet crawling into bed! wake her at your own risk! I also let it be known that Tuesday nights are MY night out. I'll watch the kids any other day of the week if she wants to go have a "Girls night out" or whatever, but "nobody touches my Tuesday night on threat of death!"

hahaaha.
Just keeeping it real - marriage, kids and SELF do not exist in a healthy relationship! All there is to it.
I don't suppose she plays bass does she? There might be a caveat I didn't address if so ^.^

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jan 24 2012, 06:50 AM
GMC:er
Congratulations man! I hope all your hard work pays off for you.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 26 2012, 03:07 PM
Instructor
Great mate! It means I'll be seeing you in the chat room tonight? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Feb 7 2012, 09:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 24 2012, 12:39 AM) *
Just keeeping it real - marriage, kids and SELF do not exist in a healthy relationship! All there is to it.
I don't suppose she plays bass does she? There might be a caveat I didn't address if so ^.^

What did I talk myself into rolleyes.gif

No, she does not have what you would call a musical gift, but I do have a bass, if she decides to begin learning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Feb 7 2012, 10:13 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 23 2012, 11:39 PM) *
Oooooh. You don't "find time" when you're a working-family guy. Plain and simple. If you are living with your girl-friend/wife, and plan to have kids - the "having kids" is a game changer. If you work and she's home with the kid, then from her point of view, she's been working all day and when you get home, it's time for you to relieve her of kid-duty so she can relax. If you are spotted sitting on the couch relaxing, you're LAZY - you should be playing with kid(s), doing dishes, anything that puts the house in order. You may think it not a big deal, but pretty soon, if you are not bringing home the bacon, or getting house-stuff done instead of noodling on your guitar, your guitar (a play thing) will become the object of her hate and a source of bitterness.

If you are the bread-winner, and she pays the bills, be prepared for sleepless nights because she worries about the bills she has to pay with your pay check - but you don't seem concerned about it because you're TOO busy playing with your guitar-toy! And if she's not sleeping at night, then either are you because I can guarantee she's gonna wanna talk to you at 2:00 a.m. to get it off her chest so she can get to sleep and stop worrying!

Been there <-- done that <-- 3 kids, 2 finally graduating college and one just turned 13. Being a parent who wants to "play" guitar is a very LONG road to travel. You don't get days off from this concern. Kids are not weekend-free!

So, you don't "find time". You "make time". Make it known what night is your "bowling night out" if you're gonna play a show. and when you plan to practice with the band. Don't practice at home while the "kid(s)" are awake, because they'll grow up thinking you care more about your guitar than them. Same holds true for your wife. If you're fortunate, she goes to bed early which gives you a few hours to practice when she doesn't have to see the back of your head smile.gif There are non-prescription drugs on the market you can lace her tea with (I"M KIDDING, DON'T DO THIS!) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

I wait til the family is IN bed - usually at 10:00 p.m., then I practice til 2:00 a.m. Be extra quiet crawling into bed! wake her at your own risk! I also let it be known that Tuesday nights are MY night out. I'll watch the kids any other day of the week if she wants to go have a "Girls night out" or whatever, but "nobody touches my Tuesday night on threat of death!"

hahaaha.

How did I miss this post earlier? Haha.... well put SirJamsAlot, I would have to totally agree with you, even though I am new to the family life thing.... I will take some of your advice to!
Good Idea's....
Cheers man, great post.

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:14 PM