> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Metal Essentials #8, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

mhskeide
Jan 28 2020, 11:56 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Original lesson: Metal Essentials #8 by Darius Wave

Trying to rehearse some tight metal before going to studio with my own band soon. Note 1: Tried double tracking guitar as an extra consistency challenge. I`ll reupload if this is not allowed in REC. Note 2: Sound/video is sliightly out of sync, due to poor clipping options in windows movie maker. My mac is on service :(

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 29 2020, 06:16 PM
GMC Founder
Cool mate -

I know you are very serious about your progress so I am just going to cut to the chase here.

This tempo is too high for your down picking.

The alternate picking part sounds great - you are in control and can play relaxed. So I am guessing you probably set the practicing tempo based on the alt picking parts - and struggled your way through the down picking. This is a dangerous strategy as you risk consolidating bad habits and might get a tensed downpicking technique.

So the remedy is simple here -

Isolate the downpicking sections only - and pull down the tempo down to the point you can play for at least 1-2 minutes without tensing up.

I will give you a 5 now - but as soon as you have fixed this issue you will be able to get a high grade - judging on how nice the other parts sounded.

Keep up the hard work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2020, 11:40 PM
GMC:er
First off congrats on learning this piece and being able to play it all the way through. This is not an easy bit to play with all the down stroke bits that are quite brisk. As Kris mentioned your alternate picking is going well! It's not until about 36 seconds in when things get a bit off kilter with the down stroke bits in the fast section. You are just a pinch behind the beat and I can feel your hand trying to rush to catch up a bit.

I'm with Kris that isolation of those sections is the best way forward. Isolate the down pick section and slow the tempo until you find a comfortable speed and then slowly speed up the metronome until you get to the correct speed.

One quick tip. Just something to try. I call it "thumbless technique". See if you can pull your left thumb entirely off the neck during the really fast down stroke part. It will remove the tension in your left hand as it only lets you fret with your finger tips. It's often the extra tension in response to fast play that causes problems. This technique doesn't work always for everyone, but it's a very good way to reset the tension on the left hand. The less tension the better.

QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jan 28 2020, 06:56 PM) *
Original lesson: Metal Essentials #8 by Darius Wave

Trying to rehearse some tight metal before going to studio with my own band soon. Note 1: Tried double tracking guitar as an extra consistency challenge. I`ll reupload if this is not allowed in REC. Note 2: Sound/video is sliightly out of sync, due to poor clipping options in windows movie maker. My mac is on service sad.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 3 2020, 12:07 PM
Instructor
Hey there!
Great to see you challenging one of my metal lessons. This metal series is all about getting tight at timing and consistent and picking strength and tone of each pick slant or strum. You made a good decission to doubletrack because it exposes all the moments where you leave things random...like the endings of powerchords not being muted perfectly at the same point.

Kris is fully right that this speed is a little too high at this moment. It is not only about downpicking problems but you tend to get confused with the articulation. for exmaple you mismatch the ornament slides with regular slides. the trick in this lesson is to not make one sound like it's opposite....and unfortunately you did. You stretch some of the ornament slides so the start to sound like a legato-slide. When there is a slide(ornament) in the Tabs, you should speed it up so it has more of a pre-note flavor. Now when I look at this for a third person perspective, I see there are a lot of spots to watch out for. There is too much mess in the main riff right now. It is generally a similar construction with different endings but it is not this way in your take. You need to clear things out before you go to tempo.

The tone. You tone needs some "help" to get get that "knife edge" cut on muting. Most of metal tones involve treble boost in front of the amp. When your amp sounds so blurry on this gain amount, then it is clearly missing a treble boost. You can use any kind of Tube Screamer (real or virtual) to boostt he tone and volume while having the gain almost untouched. You will need to tweak the amp eq to find tghe balance but that's generally how things wokr in metal tone. I'm using Poulin Legion VST which has sort of built-in treble boost so you will not notice, but the short, focused attack is there. Let me know if you need some help with tone adjustment.

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 7 2020, 01:37 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:41 AM