How Slow?
sigma7
Mar 7 2009, 06:01 PM
GMC:er
Yo GMC! Quick question. Okay, so when we practice we are supposed to play slow. Exactly how slow do we play it? And say if I am practicing a lesson, should I always play that slow until I can play it fast or should I gradually increase the tempo?

Ive heard some people say many different things but never actually mentioned how slow

This always was in my mind but never asked smile.gif

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 7 2009, 06:04 PM
I would say slow it down til you can play it clean without messing up... then increase the speed gradually playing it clean before going up in speed each time

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 7 2009, 06:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah I agree with Outlaw but occasionally I crank it to a ridiculous speed and give it a couple goes just for fun laugh.gif . John Petrucci has a cool like theory on this that he talks about in his rock discipline dvd, might be able to find it on youtube or buy the whole dvd laugh.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 7 2009, 06:15 PM
haha me too Andrew6...me too... ill check out the dvd and thank you outlaw for the tip...im gonna do that from now on

thanks a bunch guys

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 7 2009, 07:54 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 7 2009, 05:04 PM) *
I would say slow it down til you can play it clean without messing up... then increase the speed gradually playing it clean before going up in speed each time

Thats how I do it. The general rule is, if you cant play it clean your playing it too fast. When you can play it clean very gradually keep moving it up, and remember speed is a bi-product of Control.

Control is the name of the game smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 7 2009, 08:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Mar 7 2009, 02:54 PM) *
Thats how I do it. The general rule is, if you cant play it clean your playing it too fast. When you can play it clean very gradually keep moving it up, and remember speed is a bi-product of Control.

Control is the name of the game smile.gif

I just realized you had a select statement in your signature hahahaa laugh.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 7 2009, 08:03 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Mar 7 2009, 07:01 PM) *
I just realized you had a select statement in your signature hahahaa laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 7 2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor
I think it has to be practice at a speed where you can understand perfectly what you're playing. In order to do that you can try to sing the part so you'll know that you're playing it right and accurate. Then increase the speed.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 7 2009, 10:31 PM
wow thanks guys didnt expect this many replies haha that just shows how GMC is! smile.gif yay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 7 2009, 10:52 PM
Instructor
As slow as possible and in tempo !
If rhythm is 16th notes brake it into 8ths or quarters, even half notes if you need to , until you perfectly nail down every single passage you are working on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 7 2009, 10:56 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
For me the best way to learn lessons is as follows:

Practice it in 4 bar chunks or there abouts.

Take your 4 bar chunk, get it into your muscle memory, then find the highest speed you can play it cleanly at. Practice it for as much as your willing to each day, adn increase the tempo by a certain increment each time. i.e. if i was practicing for an hour a day iw ould increase the speed 5 bpm, btu if i was onaly practicing half an hour, i would make it less.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 8 2009, 06:29 PM
Instructor
Practice as slow as possible so you have time to focus on finger placement, picking, string transfer, beat, note values, and possibly note names on slow tempos.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Mar 9 2009, 10:51 AM
Instructor
I replied to a thread "Shred" with my two cents on speed. I am personally on the side of play it as fast as you can, and work to clean it up. It is a different mindset then playing it slowly then building the speed up gradually.

I think of it like race car drivers, once you learn how to drive the car (fundamentals) you just then put the hammer down and run the race.

Check out this Shawn Lane Vid about speed, and Shawn Lane was at the time the fastest guitarist on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkbSBxPYcU

This is how i learned, with the idea of rhythmic fragments.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:11 AM