Re: How To Make My Comping More Interesting For My Ensemble!?!
leonard478
Sep 12 2013, 02:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey everyone!, so i just got into a second year R&B ensemble and everyone else in it is a hugely more experienced musician, its very intimidating, Anyway we are doing this song right now

Its pretty much just a II V I in C major nearly the entire time, there is a keyboard player a drummer a bassist and singers, how should i comp over it?! i pretty much have no fresh ideas right now sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 12 2013, 08:17 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! If You feel You have no idea how to start, then You should look for some external inspirations. We had a topic of most famous songs to learn, that will help get known with some basic blues, jazz, fusion progressions, and will help to get an image of how guitar plays to fit the style.

In this topic: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49505
Guys posted some cool examples of were to start with progression name involved. Try it out wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Sep 12 2013, 08:27 AM
Theory Instructor
Hey

one thing you might want to check out is using small, 3-note chords to play over these changes.

Try some of these to move around a bit.

Dm7 - xx321x, xx756x, xx101010x
G7 - xx320x, xx746x, xx91010x
Cmaj7 - xx200x, xx545x, xx9910x

Or like was mentioned, look at adding 9ths and other extensions, like this

Dm7 - xx3555
G7 - xx3455
Cmaj7 - xx2233

or

Dm7 - xx10101012
G7 - xx9101012
Cmaj7 - xx99810

That might help get things more interesting over these three chords.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 12 2013, 05:45 PM
GMC:er
Copy the wah-wah part that's on the track.

The bulk of it is just a 'C' note over the Dm7 and G chords changing to a 'B' on the C chord. All on the 3rd string, frets 5 to 4.

You 'could' voice it a little fuller with chords like this:
Dm7 ... X535XX
G7 ... X534XX
Cmaj7 ... X324XX

He changes to an octave 'C' thing (sans wah) later - especially after the horn section soli. Probably this: XXX5X8

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:51 AM