First Ever Guitar, Tell us about your first guitar
Becca
Jun 4 2014, 06:53 PM
GMC:er
Cosmins post about beginners and the budget for their first instrument got me all wistful about my first guitar. It really was terrible. A second or third hand Woolworths Kay electric. Vaguely strat shaped with two soapbar type slab pups, selectable by a slider switch for each. I of course loved it. But after a few months of learning on it, the sore fingers, the cramps in my forearm and the negative comments about it from friends with "proper" guitars saw me replacing it with a Maya telecaster. This was much better. My fingers felt as if they had new batteries in them and chord changes were no longer a two man job. laugh.gif
The Maya later donated its neck to my frankenstein tele as well as its scratch plate and knobs. So I guess it is still giving service to this very day.
I would love to hear about your first guitars. Did you start on a butter smooth beauty or was it more like a plank strung with fence wire?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 4 2014, 07:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think mine was the Aria pro II zz deluxe, exactly like this one :

I got it purely because it was 'pointy' and it looked very metal to me smile.gif
I also had a Kay Sound Fashion amp which was really quite loud and about the size of a small chest of drawers. I cant remember what happened to the aria, I probably traded to for my next guitar ( a kramer focus ).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by bleez: Jun 4 2014, 07:37 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Becca
Jun 4 2014, 07:54 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 4 2014, 06:37 PM) *
I think mine was the Aria pro II zz deluxe, exactly like this one :

I got it purely because it was 'pointy' and it looked very metal to me smile.gif
I also had a Kay Sound Fashion amp which was really quite loud and about the size of a small chest of drawers. I cant remember what happened to the aria, I probably traded to for my next guitar ( a kramer focus ).

WICKED guitar. I had the XX flying V version in white for a while. smile.gif smile.gif I always coveted that explorer shape though. They weren't bad though. They played quite nicely but on the V at least the pups were a bit "jangly" and muddied up with gain. A helluva sight better than my first guitar though. Thanks Bleez.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 4 2014, 08:48 PM

Very similar to this but had 5 way switch, a Prince HM-33 if I remember correct...Played it for 2 years tongue.gif so glad I don' have it anymore biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 4 2014, 08:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 4 2014, 09:26 PM
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lexman
Jun 4 2014, 09:48 PM
Learning Roadie

Behringer V-tone guitar pack.

+Quote Post
Mith
Jun 5 2014, 04:59 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I remember having a black guitar when I was a young teen that was black with like fireworks on it. Man that thing sucked. The next one I had after that was a Dean Avalanche and then I got my OLP Coffin guitar, That was the first guitar I gigged with. Love that guitar. I have guitars that play a tad better now but that guitar seems have this really dark blues tone and feel to it. The only thing I don't like on it is the fretwire is pretty narrow so after playing on alot of jumbo fret guitars it feels a little strange.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Becca
Jun 5 2014, 11:29 AM
Wowsers! There are so many guitars to choose from nowadays and the quality has improved HUGELY. Yes, some of the cheapest can still be nasty but on the whole things have got a lot better haven't they. Ken's picture of the Sears acoustic reminds me a LOT of my Kay electric. Looks like it would have had the same feel.
Here is my Tele. I call it Victor for obvious reasons. The Maya neck is actually pretty good still, but the main difference is the weight. Jeez that Maya was heavy. The butterscotch paintjob hid the big slab of plywood that it was made from. The scratchplate and pot knobs are from Maya too.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:04 PM