Chord Transitions - Tips On How To Improve Changing From Chord To Chord
MikeyMayhem
May 15 2013, 03:41 AM
GMC:er
Hiya folks! I have been recently working on Bear's beginner course 1. My current issue is changing from one chord to the next in a progression. In some instances it's easy, in others, not so much, like going from G to D. Is there any good advice for improving transitions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear: Ibanez RX-170 Lefty w/ Seymour Duncan Blackout PUs
Ibanez SG Series Lefty Bass
Peavey VK-100 Half Stack
Boss ME-70 Processor
MXR 10-band EQ, Fullbore Metal Distortion, and Classic OD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
klasaine
May 15 2013, 04:01 AM
While you're holding the G chord, look at your hand on the neck and visualize the D chord.
Do not move to the D until you can absolutely see your hands forming it on the fingerboard.
When you see it - then go to it.
Try not to place your fingers individually. Ideally, you want them all to go down simultaneously (or as close to that as possible).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2013, 04:32 AM
Instructor
Klasaine is right. Visualizing where your fingers have to move is the way to go. Practice the movement between both chord many times, pay attention to where each finger will move and be patient. At first it seems impossible but after some days of practice you will notice big improvements.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 15 2013, 08:13 AM
Instructor
I am working on this with a student here in Romania and I will come up with a little video for you to discuss this smile.gif Stay tuned wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 15 2013, 09:26 AM
Instructor
Changing chords is mostly a matter of Your fingers getting used to the chord shapes. Fast changes practicing is a best way. Our fingers same as mind have some sort of memory - You can do some things without whinking about them. It works same with some solo licks. First You need to handle the chord change with Your mind - imagine where the fingers should be and wait to the last possible moment to skip there. Then try to switch the chords without watching the neck. You'll see that finally Your fingers will "remember" where to go smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Professor
May 15 2013, 09:39 AM
Theory Instructor
I would just add, that sometimes the best thing to do is just pick 2 chords that are giving you trouble and go between those two chords, very slowly, until they are comfortable. Then add time/tempo and speed things up, but only when a slower tempo feels absolutely comfortable.

From there, pick other chords to work in the same way, then maybe move on to 3 chords in the same exercise, just keeping the focus on the physical movement between chords, at a slow tempo, rather than trying to get things to a fast speed right away.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
MikeyMayhem
May 15 2013, 03:02 PM
Alright! Sounds like a great idea for sure! I'll give a go and see what happens. Thanks!!

--------------------

Peavey VK-100 Half Stack
Boss ME-70 Processor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 16 2013, 01:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MikeyMayhem @ May 15 2013, 02:02 PM) *
Alright! Sounds like a great idea for sure! I'll give a go and see what happens. Thanks!!

Hey mate, why not give this a go? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MikeyMayhem
May 16 2013, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 16 2013, 12:57 PM) *
Hey mate, why not give this a go? biggrin.gif

This helps quite a lot!! One big issue for sure is that I am moving too far away from the fretboard when changing from one chord to the next. And with what you mentioned will help out a lot now that I got to see it in action. Thanks!

--------------------

Peavey VK-100 Half Stack
Boss ME-70 Processor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Always glad to help out a family member in need smile.gif Please try it out and let me know how it goes wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bossie
May 17 2013, 10:24 PM
Also you can put a capo on the fourth fret once in a while and practice from there...try it and you'll feel more confident as weird as it sounds..

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 18 2013, 12:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bossie @ May 17 2013, 09:24 PM) *
Also you can put a capo on the fourth fret once in a while and practice from there...try it and you'll feel more confident as weird as it sounds..

This is also a good idea - but make sure to shift it towards the nut, as you progress with your grip smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:54 PM