The Importance Of Lyrics, How important are they to you?
Importance Of Lyrics
Style you prefer?
Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Concept stories [ 18 ] ** [23.08%]
Personal endevors and experiences [ 27 ] ** [34.62%]
World and current event related, politics [ 14 ] ** [17.95%]
Religious [ 3 ] ** [3.85%]
Spiritual/ Philosophical/ Contemplative [ 16 ] ** [20.51%]
How important are they?
The most important aspect in music [ 1 ] ** [2.13%]
One of the most important aspects in music [ 13 ] ** [27.66%]
One of the most important aspects, But no always a necessity [ 24 ] ** [51.06%]
Doesn't really bother me, As long as the singers performance is good [ 9 ] ** [19.15%]
Don't care [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
The Uncreator
Apr 19 2009, 10:32 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
So what stlye of lyrics do you prefer and how important are they to you in music?

For me they are one of the most important aspects in music, Although I listen to alot of stuff with less than deep or thoughtful lyrics, I nonetheless view an excellent lyricist just as good as an excellent guitarist. Intelligent, creative, and throughtful writing makes the song alot more relatable, and just improves overall I think.

And my favorite styles of lyrics would be Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Concept Stories and Spiritual/ Philosophical/ and Contemplative.

So what are yours?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Marek Rojewski
Apr 19 2009, 10:47 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Very good question. For me lyrics are very, very important. I do like some songs that have not so great lyrics, but the most beloved songs, the ones that are complete, need lyrics to complement them. (of course if it is not an instrumental piece).

Style of the lyrics? Well I love Blind Guardian style lyrics:P They have fantasy theme often, but they are different than most other power metal fantasy based lyrics (that are often crap...). I can say that "World and current event related, politics" based lyrics are least interesting for me. Fantasy and emotions are my favorite, especially mix of both:)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Apr 19 2009, 10:55 PM
GMC:er
i rated lyrics as one of the most important things. I cant listen to songs that are antireligious and criticize my faith.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 19 2009, 11:01 PM
Instructor
I hardly pay attention to lyrics at all and aslong as the singer performs them well then he could be singing about kittens with pink bowties for all i care biggrin.gif

But offcourse, sometimes the lyrics really stand out and can make a good song fantastic. But i dont really have a preference about what lyrical content i prefer.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 19 2009, 11:02 PM
Nice Topic.

For me,
If I cant get lost in, or connect with what the artist is trying to say.
I dont like the song.

I voted for Personal Endeavors just because I connect with lyrics with alot of feeling.

Chris Cornell, RHCP, Slipknot are some bands whos lyrics I really enjoy.

I didnt vote for them being THE most important, but def. there up there when it comes to me.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 19 2009, 11:23 PM
I like lyrics that, you know, are high quality, that touch a person, you know, right here. Here is an example of what I consider very meaningful lyrics, lyrics that stay with you, make you think about life, love, why we are here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBh5ZtATqOY

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 20 2009, 12:11 AM
Instructor
I voted
Doesn't really bother me, As long as the singers performance is good

as this may seem acquard as a choise it makes perfect sense to me.

PS it is not entirely true tho (lyrics are very important)

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Apr 20 2009, 02:53 AM
I voted for the first option, seeing as I'm a total nerd that way haha. I like it when my music has a story, or has something to do with Sci-fi.

As much as lyrics are important, though, they're not necessary. To me, instrumentation is the best way to convey emotion. I would much rather listen to a good instrumental band than to a good band with a vocalist, no matter how good the lyrics are. I don't know why, I'm just weird like that.

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Apr 20 2009, 02:54 AM
Experienced Rock Star
To me, they are the most important thing in music, if not the second most important thing in music, next to the feeling you give by playing the instruments. The important thing in music for me is sending the message I want to, to show how I feel, besides my playing, the best way to use it is in lyrics, that's why I usually don't like pop or techno, disco, house and all that, has no feeling to me whatsoever...

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 20 2009, 06:20 AM
Learning Roadie
I find a lot of songs to have lyrics that seem like filler, like they had to write something in. I don't like that. I like a song that makes you think and consider the lyrics, even if they don't make apparent sense sometimes, but I prefer them to really say something. Or at least really convey something. If it comes across to me as completely random, unless the music is great I am usually uninterested in the song. Sometimes a good vocal melody could have been a better option for a song, IMO.

By the way, I voted 'One of the most important aspects, But not always a necessity' 'Spiritual/ Philosophical/ Contemplative' 'World and current event related, politics' 'Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Concept stories' and 'Personal endevors and experiences'. I'm not a religious person so that doesn't do anything for me.

This post has been edited by JVM: Apr 20 2009, 06:23 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Apr 20 2009, 07:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 20 2009, 12:01 AM) *
I hardly pay attention to lyrics at all and aslong as the singer performs them well then he could be singing about kittens with pink bowties for all i care biggrin.gif

But offcourse, sometimes the lyrics really stand out and can make a good song fantastic. But i dont really have a preference about what lyrical content i prefer.

+1
That's exactly my answer as well smile.gif

Though I listen carefully to how the words sounds..

This post has been edited by Marcus Lavendell: Apr 20 2009, 07:52 AM

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 20 2009, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have never really cared what the singer sings as long as he is doing it good

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Kapto
Apr 20 2009, 09:55 AM
Same here. I don't care about lyrics. There are some exceptions tough. Still millions of people that can't speak a word of English and love The Beatles, ABBA,Rolling Stones, and a long etc... why??? "Music=Universal languaje"

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 20 2009, 01:02 PM
I think the lyrics are as important as anything else in a song. They need to be right, and I think the lack of lyrics can also be seen as a "right" choice for some songs.

And I prefer contemplative and philosophical lyrics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 20 2009, 02:03 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
For me music goes first, I mean I really like songs with bad lyrics, but a song with good lyrics and bad music won't cut it for me.

And, of course, the best case scenario is awesome music + great lyrics, those would be the kind of songs that get locked in my brain forever smile.gif , "Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Concept stories" & "Personal endevors and experiences" are the options I chose.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 20 2009, 04:24 PM
Well, for me, a good lyric is one that is well written, tells a story and paints a picture through the words chosen. if a Song can stimulate your imagination by the words used it's a great song.
Some of my favourite Lyricists include:-
Bob Dylan, Brice Springsteen, Paul Simon and Don McClean. These guys can paint pictures with words!
There are many others in many other genres that I could mention but I thought this would be a good way of explaining my viewpoint!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 20 2009, 04:41 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Great to see a wide variety of answers here, I wasn't expecting it at all smile.gif

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Apr 20 2009, 04:48 PM
I dont think lyrics is so important, I mostly listen to instrumental music, the guitar is a singer too smile.gif

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Apr 20 2009, 09:21 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I don´t reallt care about what the lyrics are, as long as the singer delivers. But i prefer spiritual/filosofical lyrics, ´cause i like to think

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wim Novak
Apr 20 2009, 11:17 PM
I think vocals are very important in MY OWN MUSIC. i dont care if other bands have bad ones

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:04 AM