Sound engineers/clever people - help!
Eoghan
Feb 22 2007, 06:42 PM
GMC:er
I've just very proudly received my podliveXT today,and couldnt wait to run it through my also quite new big giant amp (MAXWATT). Unfortuntly, I've run into a problem or two.

If I connect the pedal directly to the Speakers on the stack, Im barely getting any noise out of it. Made sure the pedals output and chan volume is on max, and its barely audible. The strings would drown out the speakers noise.

When the pedal is connected into the input of the stacks head for mono, the volume is fine, but the tone is completly wrong. The treble/mid/bass on the head is completly messing things up. And of course, turning them all down leads us back to the no volume issue.

I know very little about sound engineering, so if a techie could help me out, it'd be very very much obliged smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 22 2007, 07:01 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Eoghan @ Feb 22 2007, 12:42 PM) *
I've just very proudly received my podliveXT today,and couldnt wait to run it through my also quite new big giant amp (MAXWATT). Unfortuntly, I've run into a problem or two.

If I connect the pedal directly to the Speakers on the stack, Im barely getting any noise out of it. Made sure the pedals output and chan volume is on max, and its barely audible. The strings would drown out the speakers noise.

When the pedal is connected into the input of the stacks head for mono, the volume is fine, but the tone is completly wrong. The treble/mid/bass on the head is completly messing things up. And of course, turning them all down leads us back to the no volume issue.

I know very little about sound engineering, so if a techie could help me out, it'd be very very much obliged smile.gif

A couple of things to mention:

1. The XTL has amp modelling built into it, so it is not generally recommended to put it through another guitar AMP, you should use a PA or keyboard amp that doesn't impart any additional character. Having said that, there are a number of settings on the XTL that optimise it for use on various types of AMP, so I'd have a look at those, and make sure you are using a clean and neutral setting on your AMP.

2. There is a very small volume trim control on the back next to the outputs. If you are suffering low volume, make sure it is all the way up.

3. You can't connect it straight to the speakers, it has to go through an AMP of some kind, so you were closest when you put it though the MaxWatt - try that again, with the right XTL settings and see how it goes.

Hep that helps !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Feb 22 2007, 07:03 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eoghan
Feb 22 2007, 08:03 PM
I threw it through the return on the head of my hiwatt,and its going through a little better now, but it still sounds extremely bassy..

Either all the tones I downloaded are awful, or Im doing something wrong..Im guessing and praying the latter tongue.gif
What should my output mode be? And any other tips for getting the tone Im looking for?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 22 2007, 08:43 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Eoghan @ Feb 22 2007, 02:03 PM) *
I threw it through the return on the head of my hiwatt,and its going through a little better now, but it still sounds extremely bassy..

Either all the tones I downloaded are awful, or Im doing something wrong..Im guessing and praying the latter tongue.gif
What should my output mode be? And any other tips for getting the tone Im looking for?

If you check the manual, there is a section on output - you have to set it for specific types of output amp and cab combinations, or for line out, or for a Bose L1 system - pick the one closest to the setup you have or try them all to see which sounds best.

Oh, and the inbuilt tones will get you started, but you need to play and fiddle, and you can get some truly awesome sounds!

To make sure everything else is working ok, try it through the headphone output with a decent pair of headphones - it should sound amazing! Then you will know that the problem is with your amp hookup, and is likely down to the output type setting I mentioned.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 22 2007, 08:53 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
And you're running it on the clean channel, right?

+Quote Post
Eoghan
Feb 23 2007, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 22 2007, 09:53 PM) *
And you're running it on the clean channel, right?

Im going through the return on my amp, bypassing drive, mid, treble, bass etc etc.
master volume is the only one coming into effect.

It does indeed sound a lot better through phones.. Im thinking I need new pickups though, possibly a new guitar..Still not getting that bite from the tones Im looking to emulate..Jerry C and whatnot. One thing Im wondering though, if anyone knows, how do I actually record onto my PC through the podlive? I got guitarport, can play songs along with the guitar through the tones, but thats about it.

Im worried about not seeing any "record" button and whatnot..
(Excuse me for any ignorance, I've only gotton to mess around with it for about 3 hours or so since getting it)

<edit>So I can just set the podliveXT as an input recording device. I like smile.gif One thing is though, I can send backing tracks through the pod to my headphones, but theyre not included in the output..which is really what Im going for here. Any ideas folks?</edit>

This post has been edited by Eoghan: Feb 23 2007, 03:22 AM

+Quote Post
n0x
Feb 24 2007, 12:58 AM
QUOTE (Eoghan @ Feb 23 2007, 03:45 AM) *
Im going through the return on my amp, bypassing drive, mid, treble, bass etc etc.
master volume is the only one coming into effect.

It does indeed sound a lot better through phones.. Im thinking I need new pickups though, possibly a new guitar..Still not getting that bite from the tones Im looking to emulate..Jerry C and whatnot. One thing Im wondering though, if anyone knows, how do I actually record onto my PC through the podlive? I got guitarport, can play songs along with the guitar through the tones, but thats about it.

Im worried about not seeing any "record" button and whatnot..
(Excuse me for any ignorance, I've only gotton to mess around with it for about 3 hours or so since getting it)

<edit>So I can just set the podliveXT as an input recording device. I like smile.gif One thing is though, I can send backing tracks through the pod to my headphones, but theyre not included in the output..which is really what Im going for here. Any ideas folks?</edit>

I own a POD XTL and what I do is I run it through the FX Return slot at the back of my Laney Lv-200 65Watt "tube enabled" amp.. I have the output set on Studio and everything sounds great. Tons of volume.. That small volume nob at the back is barely even set on 1/4 of a turn and its LOOUUUD with the channel volume cranked up. I find that its too Bassy with the output on studio but thats how i like it, sounds great for lead and solo runs. If you want a great rhythm sound turn down the bass or ull have to set the Output mode on Stack or Combo Poweramp.

The POD is a great piece of equipment. If u can get ur hands on a flat response amp (keyboard amp) go ahead and buy one, it will sound even better.

As for recording, i plug in the USB port to my computer and run it through any recording studio software (assuming that the POD drivers are installed. Read up on this at the line6 website.) and it works OK smile.gif.

There's an 'aux' imput u can use for backing tracks, etc. Just plug in from PC soundcard to the POD aux input or any cd-player / mp3player to POD and the POD will just act as a soundcard and play music through ur amp or headphones.

Im extremely tired and hve had no sleep so im sorry if I aint made any sense.. I hope this helps..

Have fun! ;].

+Quote Post
Eoghan
Feb 26 2007, 03:42 AM
QUOTE (n0x @ Feb 24 2007, 01:58 AM) *
There's an 'aux' imput u can use for backing tracks, etc. Just plug in from PC soundcard to the POD aux input or any cd-player / mp3player to POD and the POD will just act as a soundcard and play music through ur amp or headphones.

Im extremely tired and hve had no sleep so im sorry if I aint made any sense.. I hope this helps..

Have fun! ;].

heh, you can do that without using the aux - the pod will play it through USB through guitarport.
I was talking about recording - you can set any editing software to use the podlive as a direct recording device, but unfortuntly, it doesnt mix the track youre playing through the POD.

Which means going through the effort of mixing things sad.gif
And also means no backing track if youre playing over webcam tongue.gif

Unless theres a way around this anybody might know?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:43 AM