Music Theory Series Part 3- Modes, by Dogukan Ozturk
quadrium
Mar 8 2011, 02:23 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hello all.Welcome to the Music Theory Series part 3.In this part we will take a look at the modes.Let’s begin.

A mode is a way to put the notes of a scale in certain order on the fretboard of the guitar so that you get easy to remember patterns. In fact, what we do is cut the fretboard into little pieces.

There are 7 modes for every scale. The modes repeat themselves at the 12th fret (which is normal since the notes do the same).

Major Scale Modes

- Ionian mode
- Dorian mode
- Phrygian mode
- Lydian mode
- Mixolydian mode
- Aeolian mode
- Locrian mode

Now lets take a look at the first mode of the Major Scale Modes.I am going to give examples from C Major Scale for this lesson.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ionian Mode

This mode is simply a major scale we know that starts with the root note of a given scale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dorian Mode
This mode is the same major scale starting on the second note.Meaning:
Lets write the notes of the C Major scale:

C D E F G A B

As i mentioned, to get dorian mode we have to start the same scale from second note.In that case that is D.Lets write.

D E F G A B C

As you can see the notes are same.So playing a C Major Scale(or C Ionian) or a D Dorian scale will result in same sound.

Phrygian mode

This mode is the same major scale starting from third note.In that case that is E.If we write the C Major Scale starting from E we get:

E F G A B C D

As you can see the result is same.It goes like same way for other modes.

I think you got the general idea about how to construct a mode.From now on i will make a simple explanation with a Picture for the other modes.If you got any questions you can pm me anytime.

Lydian Mode

This mode is the same major scale starting from fourth note.

Mixolydian Mode

This mode is the same major scale starting from fifth note.

Aeolian Mode

This mode is simply minor scale we know.We start from sixth note of a given scale to get this mode.

Locrian Mode

This mode is the same major scale starting from seventh note.

Hope you enjoy lesson.See you in another lesson of the Music Theory Series.Keep rocking cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by quadrium: Mar 8 2011, 02:27 AM

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Fran
Mar 10 2011, 12:19 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Nice Dogukan, you are making a great job with these articles man smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 10 2011, 02:45 PM
Instructor
Excellent done mate, I will use this for future reference! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 10 2011, 02:51 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
quadrium
Mar 10 2011, 03:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Fran @ Mar 10 2011, 11:19 AM) *
Nice Dogukan, you are making a great job with these articles man smile.gif

Thanks Fran smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 10 2011, 01:45 PM) *
Excellent done mate, I will use this for future reference! smile.gif

Thanks Ivan smile.gif

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 10 2011, 08:59 PM
GMC:er
Very Well done! smile.gif Great lesson.

Todd

+Quote Post
quadrium
Mar 11 2011, 12:38 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 10 2011, 07:59 PM) *
Very Well done! smile.gif Great lesson.

Todd

Thanks man smile.gif

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:13 PM