13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Victor's Bootcamp, Fell Deeds Awake! Now for Wrath!! Now for Ruin!!
Todd Simpson
Jan 15 2020, 01:46 AM
GMC:er
That's fine smile.gif Try to play it like the video demo if possible but feel free to play in a way that works for you.

Todd
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 14 2020, 05:33 PM) *
Hi Todd,

I am currently practicing Lesson #5, I am trying my best to make it match the beat perfectly.
I will post it in a few days, but before that I have a question on how to practice Lesson #6 - Pedal Point?

I attached the Guitar Pro file.

As you can see measure 8/4, 8th notes and triples, the click will match the notes with 12, 14, 16, which is perfect for me.
But to do this I have to start with a small "rest", and that is a little strange.

What are your thoughts on this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 15 2020, 07:22 AM
Learning Roadie
Check the attached guitar pro file, I forgot to add it, yesterday in the post, I added now by editing that post, and I will add it here also.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 15 2020, 12:46 AM) *
That's fine smile.gif Try to play it like the video demo if possible but feel free to play in a way that works for you.

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  LESSON__6___Pedal_Point.gp5 ( 2.13K ) Number of downloads: 1500

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 15 2020, 08:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 15 2020, 06:22 AM) *
Check the attached guitar pro file, I forgot to add it, yesterday in the post, I added now by editing that post, and I will add it here also.

I want to play it like the video demo, but I don't hear the metronome in the demo video so I am not sure on which note the metronome click is?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2020, 05:24 AM
I"m not using a metronome in that vid actually. As long as you can play evenly, you can skip the metronome unless you want it as a speed measure. However, it wont' work as a speed measure if you do my suggested pick strike per click as you have to set the metronome crazy high. The gp5 file works fine smile.gif If you want the metronome just to measure your speed, you can set a metronome click in reaper and set it at any speed you like. There are many ways to skin a cat as it were smile.gif Did you understand what I meant about making all the metronome clicks the same? The fourt click sounds different and throws people off. Most metronomes let you have a single tone click which helps as you can pick on each click. usually this means cranking the metronome up to crazy high speeds to get a click on each pick strike.
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 15 2020, 03:25 PM) *
I want to play it like the video demo, but I don't hear the metronome in the demo video so I am not sure on which note the metronome click is?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 16 2020, 05:25 AM

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 16 2020, 12:28 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 16 2020, 04:24 AM) *
I"m not using a metronome in that vid actually. As long as you can play evenly, you can skip the metronome unless you want it as a speed measure. However, it wont' work as a speed measure if you do my suggested pick strike per click as you have to set the metronome crazy high. The gp5 file works fine smile.gif If you want the metronome just to measure your speed, you can set a metronome click in reaper and set it at any speed you like. There are many ways to skin a cat as it were smile.gif Did you understand what I meant about making all the metronome clicks the same? The fourt click sounds different and throws people off. Most metronomes let you have a single tone click which helps as you can pick on each click. usually this means cranking the metronome up to crazy high speeds to get a click on each pick strike.

" it wont' work as a speed measure if you do my suggested pick strike per click as you have to set the metronome crazy high"
Yes, that's why I don't want to do 1 pick strike per click, and I want to do more pick strickes per click. (for example 4 notes per click, playing sixteens)

"Did you understand what I meant about making all the metronome clicks the same?"

Yes, when we use for example 4/4 measure, the first beat is accented, and we don't need this if the lick doesn't fit in a measure, we should have all the clicks with the same sound.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2020, 06:18 PM
Here is a new guitar pro file with just two loops of Mission 6. It's pure alternate picking and and palm muting. Just make sure you use your pinky for the last note if possible smile.gif Here is the correct tab and a picture of it as well in Guitar Pro Format. I'll change on the lesson as well. Let me know if you have any questions

Attached File  6PedalPoint.gp5 ( 1.88K ) Number of downloads: 816

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 17 2020, 08:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Here is Lesson #5,

Check out my playing and I wrote the speeds in BPM.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2020, 12:11 AM
PAUL GILBERT STYLE LICKS.
PAUL GILBERT is one of my fave players of all time. I learned long ago that much of his style centers around a very simple idea. "Back and Forth". Essentially, going forward in a scale and then back and then forward again. This "Whiplash" effect is what gives him his signature shred style. This lick is based roughly on that approach.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: First things I wanna see is gooString Traverse is a tricky thing. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident.
*PACE:Next, It's tempting to rush or lag these bits based on which sections feel easier or harder. You play very evenly which is what I like to see.
*ARTICULATION: Lastly, Pick articulation. You are not picking from the elbow which is great. It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well.

I did notice that your timing began to drift on the last run. Not enough to make you have to re do the Mission but something to look out for. I'd rather see you pushing it. smile.gif I"m not grading that last one, it's more of a proof of concept. You will be playing smoothly at that level in no time.
In other words, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 17 2020, 03:27 PM) *
Hi Todd,

Here is Lesson #5,

Check out my playing and I wrote the speeds in BPM.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 18 2020, 12:13 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2020, 02:14 AM
Here are improved Files for MISSION 6. A new Guitar Pro file (the original lesson was created before I switched to guitar pro) and a picture export of same.
Attached File  6PedalPoint.gp5 ( 1.88K ) Number of downloads: 788

Attached Image

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 14 2020, 05:33 PM) *
Hi Todd,

I am currently practicing Lesson #5, I am trying my best to make it match the beat perfectly.
I will post it in a few days, but before that I have a question on how to practice Lesson #6 - Pedal Point?

I attached the Guitar Pro file.

As you can see measure 8/4, 8th notes and triples, the click will match the notes with 12, 14, 16, which is perfect for me.
But to do this I have to start with a small "rest", and that is a little strange.

What are your thoughts on this?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 18 2020, 10:17 AM
Learning Roadie
I am glad that I could practice in way where I could find my limit, in Lesson #5.

Now I am practicing Lesson #6, the pedal point, I checked the guitar pro file.
It's a bit hard for me to play on time, since the metronome click hits in weird places (at least for me), I guess I have to keep on practicing it until I get used to it

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 17 2020, 11:11 PM) *
PAUL GILBERT STYLE LICKS.
PAUL GILBERT is one of my fave players of all time. I learned long ago that much of his style centers around a very simple idea. "Back and Forth". Essentially, going forward in a scale and then back and then forward again. This "Whiplash" effect is what gives him his signature shred style. This lick is based roughly on that approach.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: First things I wanna see is gooString Traverse is a tricky thing. It's easy to stumble on it. You play it clean and confident.
*PACE:Next, It's tempting to rush or lag these bits based on which sections feel easier or harder. You play very evenly which is what I like to see.
*ARTICULATION: Lastly, Pick articulation. You are not picking from the elbow which is great. It's easy to stiffen the entire arm and elbow pick which is a bad habbit and hard to break. You are articulating the pick very well.

I did notice that your timing began to drift on the last run. Not enough to make you have to re do the Mission but something to look out for. I'd rather see you pushing it. smile.gif I"m not grading that last one, it's more of a proof of concept. You will be playing smoothly at that level in no time.
In other words, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2020, 08:16 PM
Can you set your metronome to clicks only like we talked about? not 3 clicks and a clack, but just clicks. Same tone each time. Most smart phone based metronomes will let you do this. That way you can line up each click with a pick strike.
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 18 2020, 05:17 AM) *
I am glad that I could practice in way where I could find my limit, in Lesson #5.

It's a bit hard for me to play on time, since the metronome click hits in weird places (at least for me), I guess I have to keep on practicing it until I get used to it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2020, 04:08 AM
P.S. You can just turn the metronome off entirely as long as you can play the bit in a smooth and even manner. After all the metronome is just for reference to let you know if you are rushing or lagging. I fear you may be getting too bogged down on this one Mission. Go ahead and share what you have and let's see what we are working with smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 18 2020, 05:17 AM) *

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 24 2020, 12:31 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 20 2020, 03:08 AM) *
P.S. You can just turn the metronome off entirely as long as you can play the bit in a smooth and even manner. After all the metronome is just for reference to let you know if you are rushing or lagging. I fear you may be getting too bogged down on this one Mission. Go ahead and share what you have and let's see what we are working with smile.gif

Todd

Hi,

Here is Lesson #6 - Pedal Point

I think that my fingers should be closer to the fretboard and I think my hand sync is not as good at higher speed.
What do you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2020, 08:52 PM
Well Fought Soldier!! This is a foundational lick so it's important to be able to to play it and play it well without issue. You've got a good handle on it! The first take is the best as it is the most clean and precise. You are correct when you say that your synch starts to drift as you speed up. This is something that we will sort out as we move through the missions. At each one, push yourself during practice to the edge of your ability and feel free to include those takes at the end of your mission vid. That way I can see where your playing is heading. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICKING: First things I"m looking for is Alternate Picking. Your doing great on your Alternate Picking here. It's consistent and that's what I'm looking for. Nice!!
MUTE: Secondly, I need to see a good palm mute. Very solid work on the palm mute. Also critical. If you can't mute, you will get string noise. Not a problem here!!!

SYNCH: Right/Left hand synch is the core of this drill. You have very good synch on the first pass and it degrades a bit as you speed up. As I mentioned, we will sort this out as we move through future missions. Eventually it won't be an issue at all.

The first dozen or so Missions are foundational and core to what will be coming up in later missions. It's important to play these all in a very clean manner. Well Fought, you are ready for what awaits! you just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 24 2020, 07:31 AM) *
Hi,

Here is Lesson #6 - Pedal Point

I think that my fingers should be closer to the fretboard and I think my hand sync is not as good at higher speed.
What do you think?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 31 2020, 09:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

What is your advice on practicing speed?
At what speed should I focus practicing more?

Let's say 100% speed is the limit. Where should I spend the most time, 75%, or maybe 90%? And how much of my time should try to push beyond 100%, and how much beyond, 105%, 110%?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2020, 07:52 PM) *
Well Fought Soldier!! This is a foundational lick so it's important to be able to to play it and play it well without issue. You've got a good handle on it! The first take is the best as it is the most clean and precise. You are correct when you say that your synch starts to drift as you speed up. This is something that we will sort out as we move through the missions. At each one, push yourself during practice to the edge of your ability and feel free to include those takes at the end of your mission vid. That way I can see where your playing is heading. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICKING: First things I"m looking for is Alternate Picking. Your doing great on your Alternate Picking here. It's consistent and that's what I'm looking for. Nice!!
MUTE: Secondly, I need to see a good palm mute. Very solid work on the palm mute. Also critical. If you can't mute, you will get string noise. Not a problem here!!!

SYNCH: Right/Left hand synch is the core of this drill. You have very good synch on the first pass and it degrades a bit as you speed up. As I mentioned, we will sort this out as we move through future missions. Eventually it won't be an issue at all.

The first dozen or so Missions are foundational and core to what will be coming up in later missions. It's important to play these all in a very clean manner. Well Fought, you are ready for what awaits! you just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 31 2020, 09:17 PM
Good question. I'd say spend most of your time near the edge of your ability but say just a quarter of your time pushing beyond it. It's important to push the boundary of one's speed by finding a comfortable speed and bumping up the metronome just a bit.

Also, you can always play in fast busts to get a feeling of what it will be like once you get there. It's important not to spend all of ones practice time playing outside of ones ability or one ends up simply with sloppy playing. So in each drill find that spot where you can play it clean, and smooth, but just at the edge of where it starts to fall apart.

Then try to spend a little time each session go beyond your comfort zone to try to see what parts go wrong so that you can isolate those parts and practice repeating them. Usually, in a given lick, there is a part or parts that are more tricky for the hand. Those are the stick points. Finding those spots and isolating and looping them will help. Slowly build speed on those parts, then when you put the entire lick together, you should be able to play the entire thing faster than before.
Does this make sense?
Sarge
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 31 2020, 04:02 PM) *
Hi,

What is your advice on practicing speed?
At what speed should I focus practicing more?

Let's say 100% speed is the limit. Where should I spend the most time, 75%, or maybe 90%? And how much of my time should try to push beyond 100%, and how much beyond, 105%, 110%?

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 1 2020, 09:30 PM
Learning Roadie

Hi Todd,

New Video, Lesson #7.
18th notes played at 80, 90 and 100 BPM.
Let me know what I need to improve.

Video with low quality sound, so I will attach the mp3 file with high quality sound.

The mp3 file is the same recording as the video from youtube.

Even though the mp3 has high quality, I don't like how my playing sounds there compared to the video.
It sounds like some notes are cut off, and also it sounds too scratchy.

Attached File(s)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2020, 03:01 AM
You have got this lick down very well and your speed it good! The problem with the metronome is that you seem to be drifting in and out of synch with it. You speed up a pinch and start rushing the pattern and get slightly ahead of the metronome. The metronome is meant to act almost like a leash to prevent you from rushing or lagging. I know it's tough to play a complex pattern while listening for the click on the metronome but that's a foundational skill. You are playing very well! You are just having a pinch of trouble synching your playing to the metronome. The purpose of trying to synch to a metronome is to be able to play at a consistent speed. For example if you were playing with a band, and started rushing the song, everyone else has to rush as well. It ends up ruining the song. So it's important to be able to play while listening to something for a beat to go by. I know this is not easy, especially at first as the mind will focus on the playing and not hear the metronome and maybe not realize synch has been lost.

You don't have to play a lot of bars of each drill, just a few bars is fine. It's easier to stay synched to the metronome in shorter bursts. As you get better at staying synched you can play longer and longer with the metronome going without losing synch. This just takes time and practice and you'll get it along the way.

I'd say make a video for this mission that is just shorter so that you can stay in synch and not drift. I don't think your quite ready to play 32 bars of this drill without losing synch with the metronome. You've got the drill well in hand! It's only the lack of synch with the metronome getting in your way. One more time in to the breach!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 1 2020, 04:30 PM) *

Hi Todd,

New Video, Lesson #7.
18th notes played at 80, 90 and 100 BPM.
Let me know what I need to improve.

Video with low quality sound, so I will attach the mp3 file with high quality sound.

The mp3 file is the same recording as the video from youtube.

Even though the mp3 has high quality, I don't like how my playing sounds there compared to the video.
It sounds like some notes are cut off, and also it sounds too scratchy.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 2 2020, 09:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 2 2020, 02:01 AM) *
You have got this lick down very well and your speed it good! The problem with the metronome is that you seem to be drifting in and out of synch with it. You speed up a pinch and start rushing the pattern and get slightly ahead of the metronome. The metronome is meant to act almost like a leash to prevent you from rushing or lagging. I know it's tough to play a complex pattern while listening for the click on the metronome but that's a foundational skill. You are playing very well! You are just having a pinch of trouble synching your playing to the metronome. The purpose of trying to synch to a metronome is to be able to play at a consistent speed. For example if you were playing with a band, and started rushing the song, everyone else has to rush as well. It ends up ruining the song. So it's important to be able to play while listening to something for a beat to go by. I know this is not easy, especially at first as the mind will focus on the playing and not hear the metronome and maybe not realize synch has been lost.

You don't have to play a lot of bars of each drill, just a few bars is fine. It's easier to stay synched to the metronome in shorter bursts. As you get better at staying synched you can play longer and longer with the metronome going without losing synch. This just takes time and practice and you'll get it along the way.

I'd say make a video for this mission that is just shorter so that you can stay in synch and not drift. I don't think your quite ready to play 32 bars of this drill without losing synch with the metronome. You've got the drill well in hand! It's only the lack of synch with the metronome getting in your way. One more time in to the breach!

Sarge

All right, then I will keep on practicing this lick.
I think I will use this metronome. Please check out the version where you can use the 16th notes https://www.imusic-school.com/en/tools/online-metronome/

I think the 16th notes will help me keep the timing, but playing without the sixteens will help me get an internal metronome. What do you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 3 2020, 04:45 AM
Try it with the 16th notes on the metronome and see if you can keep it synched with the metronome. Once you can always keep a lick tight with a metronome, you can stop using one as your internal metronome will take over. But as long as you find you are too focused on the lick to stay synched with the metronome, it's a good idea to keep using one. You can clearly play this lick. I think you may just get too focused on it and it's hard to focus on a fast lick and listen to a click at the same time but that is why we are here smile.gif It's possible, just takes some time. Keep it up!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 2 2020, 04:12 PM) *
All right, then I will keep on practicing this lick.
I think I will use this metronome. Please check out the version where you can use the 16th notes https://www.imusic-school.com/en/tools/online-metronome/

I think the 16th notes will help me keep the timing, but playing without the sixteens will help me get an internal metronome. What do you think?

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:10 PM