String Bending: Problem
Davidian
Jul 8 2011, 08:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi GMC,

Since my bending isn't good, I started to practice it. But I think maybe my bending technique isn't good. When I bend, for example on the G string, my nails slip over the D string. And when I release the bend, they pull the D string downward and it makes noise, so the bend isn't clean.
I am obviously doing something wrong, but what? How should I bend properly?

Thanks,

Maarten

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 08:42 PM
Instructor
Hey Maarten.. bending can be a tricky thing.. and it's a very personal technique to each person and some people's hands may do different things but I'll try to describe how I do it. smile.gif

When bending I usually have an angled hand position (not parallel to the neck like classical guitarists) and my thumb comes over the top of the neck. I usually bend with either my 2nd or 3rd finger. If I'm bending with my 2nd then I'll put my 1st finger in front of my 2nd (on the string) to add strength and control to my bend. If I'm bending with my 3rd then I'll add both my 1st and 2nd fingers to it. I get a lot more strength by using my idle fingers wink.gif

If you look at this lesson I did you can see how I use this technique to bend. Also note my hand angle and thumb over the neck.

How high is your action on your guitar ? If the strings are really close to the frets then it can make bending more difficult and the strings are more prone to slip out from underneath your fingers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 8 2011, 08:55 PM
Instructor
Well, clean bending depends on several things: Is your guitar properly tuned, how is the action adjusted ? (The distance between the strings and neck ),the weight of your strings (lighter strings make bends easier), the number of fingers you can put onto the bend, and other factors, and finally - how long are your nails .. smile.gif
Maybe you could shot short video clip to see what the problem is ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jul 8 2011, 09:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 8 2011, 09:42 PM) *
When bending I usually have an angled hand position (not parallel to the neck like classical guitarists) and my thumb comes over the top of the neck. I usually bend with either my 2nd or 3rd finger. If I'm bending with my 2nd then I'll put my 1st finger in front of my 2nd (on the string) to add strength and control to my bend. If I'm bending with my 3rd then I'll add both my 1st and 2nd fingers to it. I get a lot more strength by using my idle fingers wink.gif

If you look at this lesson I did you can see how I use this technique to bend. Also note my hand angle and thumb over the neck.

How high is your action on your guitar ? If the strings are really close to the frets then it can make bending more difficult and the strings are more prone to slip out from underneath your fingers.

My action is not that high. Maybe that's part of the problem... They actually slip away sometimes.

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jul 8 2011, 09:55 PM) *
Well, clean bending depends on several things: Is your guitar properly tuned, how is the action adjusted ? (The distance between the strings and neck ),the weight of your strings (lighter strings make bends easier), the number of fingers you can put onto the bend, and other factors, and finally - how long are your nails .. smile.gif
Maybe you could shot short video clip to see what the problem is ...

I always tune up before playing. The action is not that high (as I already replied to Ben wink.gif.
String weight is .10... Tomorrow I'll change the strings of my girlfriend's guitar (she uses .09) so I'll try my bends on that guitar. It's not that big of a change, but who knows it might work.
When I can find my camera, I'll try to make a little video clip smile.gif

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 8 2011, 09:10 PM
GMC:er
Hi Davidian,

My guitar action is low (a pick can just fit flat under the strings), this is a good thing and shouldn't affect your bending. I would never adjust it for that. Polishing the metal frets and having a clean fretboard does help thou. I also use 10s or hybrid 9-10s strings, again I wouldn't blame the string, thou thinner strings can help work, make sure you pick and stick with what you want to play.

Trim your nails if long and work on bending with the skin of the finger tip.

Move the fretboard hands thumb up to hook just over the top of the guitar neck, this gives you must more control and support.

If bending with the third finger, for example, you can normally back it up with the index and second fingers just behind it supporting the same string.

The fingers don't move too much at first when doing a bend, but rather than movement is in the rotatation of the wrist to start.

For full bends then you can straighten out the fingers (but always keep a slight curl in them).

Release the string in the reverse way. Same movement, control and speed (don't just release it).

Finger strength exercises can help, practicing correct clean hammer-ons and pull-offs also tend to help a lot.

Good luck and most importantly have fun!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 8 2011, 09:17 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 8 2011, 09:27 PM
Hello

I had the same problem a couple of years ago but it disappeared in time..

I started paying more attention to what i actually did and it's like what you hear in the above replies..using the tip of the finger
to push up and pulling it back exactly the same...you also see here that certain players mute the upper string with a free finger to
avoid some unwanted noise..
Can you believe i even went to a manicure for this.....:-)( keep this quiet :-)

You'll get it !!

Danny

This post has been edited by Bossie: Jul 8 2011, 09:29 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 9 2011, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bossie @ Jul 8 2011, 09:27 PM) *
Can you believe i even went to a manicure for this.....:-)( keep this quiet :-)

TOO LATE !! The news is out !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 10 2011, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 9 2011, 08:07 AM) *
TOO LATE !! The news is out !! cool.gif

AAAaaaarrrghhhhh.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:11 PM