4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Overrated Guitarists?
FretDancer69
Nov 5 2007, 11:09 AM
GMC:er
I got the idea from Unleash-the-Shred's "Underrated Guitarists" thread. What guitarists do you think are overrated? Why?

I would say Kurt Cobain. I like his music, i like nirvana and everything, but i think people look at him like if he was a guitar virtuoso or something. Its a good thing if he inspires you, but i dont think he was that talented like other few known guitarists.Thats my opinion.

Comment smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Nov 5 2007, 11:10 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 5 2007, 11:14 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Kurt Cobain
Korn
Slipknot
Bring Me The Horizon (especially these guys)
Muse (sorry muse fans)
Chris Impelliterri
Behold...The Arctopus
Yngwie Malmsteen
Slash (Sorry once again)
Buckethead (Sorry Mattacuk!!)
Avenged Sevenfold

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 5 2007, 11:20 AM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 5 2007, 11:15 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 5 2007, 02:09 AM) *
I got the idea from Unleash-the-Shred's "Underrated Guitarists" thread. What guitarists do you think are overrated? Why?

I would say Kurt Cobain. I like his music, i like nirvana and everything, but i think people look at him like if he was a guitar virtuoso or something. Its a good thing if he inspires you, but i dont think he was that talented like other few known guitarists.Thats my opinion.

Comment smile.gif

Hmm its really tough to pick one.

YJM is god so he cant be overrated so thats out of the question dry.gif

Ummmm Id probably say what ever the dudes name is from Coheed and Cambria
I think hes way overrated , all my friends talk about.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
shammy
Nov 5 2007, 11:50 AM
A Big BOO on The Kurt Cobain choice, The fact that he could take simple melodies and riffs and make them so powerful, makes him so much a better guitar player IMO. I never really seen him compared to a Vai or satriani type player, so maybe these people your referring to feel as i do that he is a virtuoso in the sense of what he accomplished in a short period of time. He created quite a movement. 'again just my thoughts. Peace

p.s. Slash? come on, he is so tasteful and brutally rockish at the same time. your killing me here.(

This post has been edited by shammy: Nov 5 2007, 11:52 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 5 2007, 11:59 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 4 2007, 10:14 PM) *
Kurt Cobain
Korn
Slipknot
Bring Me The Horizon (especially these guys)
Muse (sorry muse fans)
Chris Impelliterri
Behold...The Arctopus
Yngwie Malmsteen
Slash (Sorry once again)
Buckethead (Sorry Mattacuk!!)
Avenged Sevenfold

I agree on buckethead, but not due to his playing, rather due to his image. There's kind of a mystique around him that he obviously created himself, which makes him out to be bigger than he is. I do think he's an amazing guitarist though.

As for Kurt, he could actually play some technical stuff from what what I've heard. Not shredding, his personal technique didn't lend itself to that, but he did some unconventional stuff too.

Matt Bellamy (muse) - not that great of a guitar player sure, I'd say the same for him as for Kurt, except that Matt isn't out there starting a revolution or anything, so only comparing them technically. I think he's good, and I love Muse, but what makes muse so good isn't the guitar playing, which is really catchy sometimes but not the spotlight. So in that sense I guess he could be overrated.

As for slash, I must disagree. He has written some really amazing stuff. A lot of it isn't sure but what he has done is pretty far up there IMO. Technically overrated perhaps but not musically. The opposite goes for Yngwie, technically not overrated, musically maybe.

One person I'd like to add, now that I'm done picking on Uncreator, is Duane Allman. I just don't get it, I don't think he's that good technically or musically tongue.gif I think he's okay, but I don't understand the massive... overratingness he gets tongue.gif

This post has been edited by JVM: Nov 5 2007, 12:00 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Slammer
Nov 5 2007, 12:02 PM
This question has been asked many times on many Different Forums. And I alway answer with the same person

Jack White of the White Stripes.

Just for the sole reason because he was Rated at #17 on Rolling stone's Top 100 guitarists of all time list.

I mean they put him in Front of guitarists like : Mark Knopfler, Buddy Guy, Brian May ,Frank Zappa ,Joe Perry ,Eddie Van Halen,David Gilmour,Ritchie Blackmore, and tons of other guitarists who he doesn't even belong in the same sentance with ohmy.gif

That whole list is a Joke, on the list of all time Greats they put Jack White at #17 and Van Halen at #70 and David Gilmour at # 82 blink.gif blink.gif Gimme a break.

I know that he is a popular guitarist, but as far as actual playing skill goes, there are alot of GMCer's who are better players than him IMO.

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 5 2007, 12:06 PM
Malmsteen! That guy has such a huge ego it makes me dislike all of his playing. I think he creates way to much hype for himself!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 5 2007, 12:15 PM
QUOTE (Slammer @ Nov 5 2007, 05:02 AM) *
That whole list is a Joke, on the list of all time Greats they put Jack White at #17 and Van Halen at #70 and David Gilmour at # 82 blink.gif blink.gif Gimme a break.

I know that he is a popular guitarist, but as far as actual playing skill goes, there are alot of GMCer's who are better players than him IMO.

you got a good point there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shammy
Nov 5 2007, 12:18 PM
Slammer I agree with you, but it's not jack's fault that R.S. is so damn trendy and about the now. He certainly shredded when he came to boston, on acoustic and electric, jammed his ass off. Great guitar player, bamboozeled by some stupid writer, I agree.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Nov 5 2007, 12:18 PM
I would say Slash. Slash is a great player. Yes he is very great. I like him alot, but people just when they think of guitar. There always like "WOOT SLASH YEAH".

All is playing really is the same stuff to me though. He really never changes it up. If I would compare him to another guitarist, say Zakk Wylde. His fingers woudl fall off. IMO the only thing that made him big, was the band. Not himself, but the band as a whole!!

World known guitarists, and very famous guitarists, only are really there because of the band as a whole. Paul Gilbert would smash Slash in a second, and so would Malmsteen (yes he does have a big ego BUT HE CAN PLAY). Slash wouldnt stand a second against none of the solo guitarists!

Again though. This stuff is all personal preference. Someone who likes rock/blues, would go with slash way before malmsteen and Paul, BUT. Skill, techqnuie, and technical stuff. Slash is just lost!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Slammer
Nov 5 2007, 12:27 PM
QUOTE (shammy @ Nov 5 2007, 06:18 AM) *
Slammer I agree with you, but it's not jack's fault that R.S. is so damn trendy and about the now. He certainly shredded when he came to boston, on acoustic and electric, jammed his ass off. Great guitar player, bamboozeled by some stupid writer, I agree.

Yeah it's really RS, because... Anyone who plays guitar or actually knows a thing or two about guitar players
will say thats a joke, I didn't mean to go down so hard on him, but the thing that bothers me is most regular people will pick that up and since it's written by RS, they'll Respect it and think omg JW is better than all these guys, when really that isn't the case.

well like I told JVM once in Chat... If JW is #17 Marcus Lavendell should be #1 cool.gif

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 5 2007, 12:27 PM
This thread makes me sad. It's like a war between guitarists! Wouldn't it be nice if we could ALL just jam together in perfect harmony, and not judge each other?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Animosity: Nov 5 2007, 12:27 PM

+Quote Post
spdalton
Nov 5 2007, 12:31 PM
Hrm, they are all hard to compare really.
Some people would say that speed and technical ability is a measure of skill, which certainly it is, but when it comes to liking music it is also very much about how good they are at writing songs.

Kurt Cobain couldn't shred to save his life, but he was awesome at writing songs.
People like the aforementioned Chris Impelliterri however can shred a million notes a minute but what they're playing isn't very musical or 'song' like.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

That said, there definitely are some overrated guitarists out there but who they are just depends on what you would classify as a good guitarist.

I personally really don't see much in the guitarists from Dragonforce and other "speed metal" bands as it's as if they're just trying to fit as many notes into a song as possible to prove the point that, yes, that can play damn fast.

Gimme BB King any day biggrin.gif

And I agree, the rolling stones top 500 guitarists list is a complete joke. I had never really read any of their magazines before, but after seeing that list it has completely removed the thought of ever doing so out of my mind.

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 5 2007, 12:32 PM
QUOTE (Animosity @ Nov 5 2007, 05:27 AM) *
This thread makes me sad. It's like a war between guitarists!

this definately wasnt my intention/purpose... mellow.gif huh.gif

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 5 2007, 12:35 PM
QUOTE (spdalton @ Nov 5 2007, 05:31 AM) *
I personally really don't see much in the guitarists from Dragonforce and other "speed metal" bands as it's as if they're just trying to fit as many notes into a song as possible to prove the point that, yes, that can play damn fast.

Gimme BB King any day biggrin.gif

And I agree, the rolling stones top 500 guitarists list is a complete joke. I had never really read any of their magazines before, but after seeing that list it has completely removed the thought of ever doing so out of my mind.

I love you.

biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
spdalton
Nov 5 2007, 12:41 PM
I love you.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 5 2007, 12:46 PM
Learning Roadie
I do think there are a lot of popular guitarists out there that are neither musically or technically talented though, that would be an over rated guitarist in my book.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 5 2007, 12:50 PM
what about Dimebag? I never really got into Pantera that much, i knew the dude was good, but i find him very Overrated, specially by Dean Guitars...

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 5 2007, 06:06 PM
Jimi Hendrix

It's just that he's on top of almost every goddamn best guitarist list...
He may be the most influential guitarist of all time, but the best? Come on...

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Nov 5 2007, 06:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 5 2007, 07:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
to clear the kurt cobain thing up, im not saying he is overated because im comparing his technical ability to anything or anyone, im saying that, because out of all the credit he gets, i still find his music uninspiring and uncreative, and people (where i live) always hail him as some guitar god who changed the world.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:43 PM