2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Is Image Important In Music?
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2012, 04:17 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I can say that I have paid attention to bands or albums because of a cool art work, a good logo and even because of a cool photo of the band. This happened much more in the past when internet didn't exist and I used to see lots of cds at the store that I didn't now how they sound... I just tried to imagine how it sound because of a pic or the art work. I first checked Iron Maiden because I loved their cover arts.

Is image important for you in music? How does it affects you? Are you fan of a band that you first checked because of a cool photo or art work?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 18 2012, 04:38 PM
Learning Roadie
People relate to image and branding of a band just as much as the music, it's a cohesive package. Especially nowadays where the music and artist has to be sucessfully marketed as a product.

I've bought many albums unheard in the past based on the Album art. Chris Whitley - Living With the Law was one that springs to mind

by the way I the logo for your name on the Shred Neck Promo (I'm guessing that is something that prompted this)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2012, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 18 2012, 12:38 PM) *
People relate to image and branding of a band just as much as the music, it's a cohesive package. Especially nowadays where the music and artist has to be sucessfully marketed as a product.

I've bought many albums unheard in the past based on the Album art. Chris Whitley - Living With the Law was one that springs to mind

by the way I the logo for your name on the Shred Neck Promo (I'm guessing that is something that prompted this)

yeah, you know, that logo has been created by a guy that lives in Indonesia. I didn't know him. He added me and offered to do a logo with my name for free. That's what he created. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Apr 18 2012, 05:06 PM
GMC:er
For me music is linked to my own emotions and feelings. Therefore I tend not to consider any cover of cd/lp. I know some are very artistic (I am thinking at pink floyd covers) but I try to separate them from the music.
On a related matter, I hardly have seen any video clip of my favourite music (well, they did not exist much when I started listening to music in the 70s, we had just local or national radio and MTV did not exist) because of the same reason I mentioned above.

Carmine

+Quote Post
Frankster
Apr 18 2012, 05:12 PM
I would never buy I CD because of its cover.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2012, 05:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frankster @ Apr 18 2012, 01:12 PM) *
I would never buy I CD because of its cover.

I remember that when I was young there wasn't a way to hear an album before you buy it, at least here in Argentina. That's why I bough Iron Maiden's Somewhere in time album because I loved the art cover, and some friends said me that they were a great metal band. Nowadays it's easier to check myspace or youtube before buying music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Apr 18 2012, 05:31 PM
That's how I came across Cannibal Corpse when I was young. Back when I just got my first job me and my friend would hit up music stores on Fridays since its when we got paid. You would see all the radio/MTV music on the ends and all over but I still browsed down the isles. I came across metal and I'm like whoa look at these crazy gore covers! Flip it over and seen the song titles I was pretty much like I need to hear this. Went to buy it and they are like, I'm sorry you must be 18 or older to buy due to the graphic content. So we left I found a store that sold used cds and they had one without the case and they sold it to me. I've been a fan ever since.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 18 2012, 07:22 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Art can help sell a CD and add to music. When I was younger I bought many albums based off of cover art (Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Nightwish).

However. "image" in reference to the band should be further than last of the list.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2012, 08:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Apr 18 2012, 01:31 PM) *
That's how I came across Cannibal Corpse when I was young. Back when I just got my first job me and my friend would hit up music stores on Fridays since its when we got paid. You would see all the radio/MTV music on the ends and all over but I still browsed down the isles. I came across metal and I'm like whoa look at these crazy gore covers! Flip it over and seen the song titles I was pretty much like I need to hear this. Went to buy it and they are like, I'm sorry you must be 18 or older to buy due to the graphic content. So we left I found a store that sold used cds and they had one without the case and they sold it to me. I've been a fan ever since.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 18 2012, 03:22 PM) *
Art can help sell a CD and add to music. When I was younger I bought many albums based off of cover art (Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Nightwish).

However. "image" in reference to the band should be further than last of the list.

It's cool to know that it happened something similar to you guys. Cannibal Corpse, Iced Earth, Hammerfall and Nightwish has really cool art covers. I remember another band that made me decide because of a magazine review and it's art cover... Rhapsody with their first album "Legendary Tales".

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 18 2012, 08:39 PM
In Rock Music ,SURE it is!

Heavy Metal or NO METAL At ALL!!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 18 2012, 10:56 PM
Rhapsody had me sold with their album covers, there just so epic

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2012, 11:39 PM
Great album art never hurts wink.gif I've gotten in to several bands that way as has most folks. You come across an album cover and it's like WOW I gotta check that out!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 18 2012, 11:17 AM) *
Hey guys! I can say that I have paid attention to bands or albums because of a cool art work, a good logo and even because of a cool photo of the band. This happened much more in the past when internet didn't exist and I used to see lots of cds at the store that I didn't now how they sound... I just tried to imagine how it sound because of a pic or the art work. I first checked Iron Maiden because I loved their cover arts.

Is image important for you in music? How does it affects you? Are you fan of a band that you first checked because of a cool photo or art work?

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 20 2012, 11:10 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I guess it is, and I'm not talking just about rock. Just look at all those female singers who seem to always be half naked while they sing. Not that I'm complaining though cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 20 2012, 11:35 AM
\ICED EARTH und Blind Guardian kick arses with their cover artsQ!!!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Apr 20 2012, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2012, 11:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 18 2012, 06:56 PM) *
Rhapsody had me sold with their album covers, there just so epic

I can't resist this cover art!

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2012, 12:48 PM
Instructor
In my opinion, image and music should go hand in hand smile.gif you have to offer your listener something more than just the music itself - create an experience! A story (the lyrics) the atmosphere (the music) the visuals (the art) these three will create an irresistible force if well fit together smile.gif

This is what I aim for with the ARIA EP, which we will release at the end of May.

Cosmin

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 21 2012, 02:22 PM
Learning Roadie
There are a lot of bands I like that have cool cover art, but some I don't really care for. I say the cover art does affect whether or not I will click on it. If I see skulls and dead people all over it, I won't click on it. If I see indecency, I won't click on it. I say the cover art should be affected by the message of the band, but unfortunately that is not always the case. For example, there are a lot of Christian bands who try to look to much like the world. But I try to actually listen to the message the song. What are they saying in the song? Lyrics are important to me. It's not the style but the message that makes music good or bad.

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Apr 21 2012, 08:56 PM
A band is a package IMO, you need to "sell" what your music says, no matter the genre, marketing is everywhere

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 21 2012, 10:33 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 21 2012, 09:22 AM) *
There are a lot of bands I like that have cool cover art, but some I don't really care for. I say the cover art does affect whether or not I will click on it. If I see skulls and dead people all over it, I won't click on it. If I see indecency, I won't click on it. I say the cover art should be affected by the message of the band, but unfortunately that is not always the case. For example, there are a lot of Christian bands who try to look to much like the world. But I try to actually listen to the message the song. What are they saying in the song? Lyrics are important to me. It's not the style but the message that makes music good or bad.

Yes, but even with Christian music, sometimes the disturbing, unpleasant, and indecent can be used to accent themes and ideas.

BTA are a christian band, yet the song Necrotizing Fasciitis compares the presence of christ in ones self to a plague of cancer eating the flesh. On the surface it sounds offensive, but if you have an open mind new ways of perceiving your own idea can be revealed.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 23 2012, 05:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2012, 08:48 AM) *
In my opinion, image and music should go hand in hand smile.gif you have to offer your listener something more than just the music itself - create an experience! A story (the lyrics) the atmosphere (the music) the visuals (the art) these three will create an irresistible force if well fit together smile.gif

This is what I aim for with the ARIA EP, which we will release at the end of May.

Cosmin

Can't agree more! I want EP! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:39 AM