Hey Guys! I Am Mark, It was suggested I introduce myself here!
markfromvegas
Dec 6 2012, 12:36 PM
GMC:er
So, always being one to take direction well, here I am! As I said my name is Mark and I live in Las Vegas NV. I am a working musician and businessman. I play guitar, Piano, bass and I sing. I am a Fender Strat guy and have been for many years. I own a wide variety of them ranging from a 2000 Yngwie strat to a 62 USA custom shop reissue. I actually have a mexi strat that is honestly one of my favorites. It was made in the mid 90's in Mexico but with a MIM serial number and all USA parts. It seems there was a big fire in the Mexico plant in 1994 and all their materials were lost. So Fender got them up and running with materials they needed from the California plant. Funny thing is I had no idea of this when I bought it from a pawn shop in Oklahoma City back in 1998, I just knew it played like a dream and had a 120.00 price tag on it. I scooped it up and immediately put HS3 pickups in it (all three) and a Callaham bridge and tremolo system. I have a USA made Jackson dinky XL from back in the day and a bunch of other electric and acoustic instruments.

I have a very capable recording studio in my home with excellent mics, preamps and all the other needed gear to make decent recordings.

My influences came in very definite order on my musical timeline. Early on it was Joe Perry, Richie Blackmore and Jeff Beck and then came eddie Van Halen but I rejected all things tapping due to arrogance and immaturity on my part. I will add that quite frankly over use at the time by all the wanna bee's also made me hate the technique for a long time. I embrace all techniques and styles of playing these days and am always looking to learn. Then came Al DiMeola and my fascination with him and desire to learn to play like him put me in the woodshed for about 3 years. I played a couple tunes with him during some clinics he did for Ovation in the 80's and consider it a real honor to have played Med Sundance with Al.
The next and MOST significant influence during my life was Yngwie. It will never leave me; that feeling and overwhelmed state of mind I lapsed into first time I heard Far beyond the sun. I will say that I have made sure to never sound like my hero's with regard to Vibrato and so fourth but I have definitely taken the time to learn the scales and shapes they use/used to achieve their style.
Wow did I really just write all this? OMG I am sorry...thanks for having me here. I look forward to learning from you all.
Cheers
I am 48 years old and have been playing guitar since I was 12 so that would be ...ugh 36 years. I started Piano at 8 years old.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
enlo22
Dec 6 2012, 01:17 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (markfromvegas @ Dec 6 2012, 11:36 AM) *
So, always being one to take direction well, here I am! As I said my name is Mark and I live in Las Vegas NV. I am a working musician and businessman. I play guitar, Piano, bass and I sing. I am a Fender Strat guy and have been for many years. I own a wide variety of them ranging from a 2000 Yngwie strat to a 62 USA custom shop reissue. I actually have a mexi strat that is honestly one of my favorites. It was made in the mid 90's in Mexico but with a MIM serial number and all USA parts. It seems there was a big fire in the Mexico plant in 1994 and all their materials were lost. So Fender got them up and running with materials they needed from the California plant. Funny thing is I had no idea of this when I bought it from a pawn shop in Oklahoma City back in 1998, I just knew it played like a dream and had a 120.00 price tag on it. I scooped it up and immediately put HS3 pickups in it (all three) and a Callaham bridge and tremolo system. I have a USA made Jackson dinky XL from back in the day and a bunch of other electric and acoustic instruments.

I have a very capable recording studio in my home with excellent mics, preamps and all the other needed gear to make decent recordings.

My influences came in very definite order on my musical timeline. Early on it was Joe Perry, Richie Blackmore and Jeff Beck and then came eddie Van Halen but I rejected all things tapping due to arrogance and immaturity on my part. I will add that quite frankly over use at the time by all the wanna bee's also made me hate the technique for a long time. I embrace all techniques and styles of playing these days and am always looking to learn. Then came Al DiMeola and my fascination with him and desire to learn to play like him put me in the woodshed for about 3 years. I played a couple tunes with him during some clinics he did for Ovation in the 80's and consider it a real honor to have played Med Sundance with Al.
The next and MOST significant influence during my life was Yngwie. It will never leave me; that feeling and overwhelmed state of mind I lapsed into first time I heard Far beyond the sun. I will say that I have made sure to never sound like my hero's with regard to Vibrato and so fourth but I have definitely taken the time to learn the scales and shapes they use/used to achieve their style.
Wow did I really just write all this? OMG I am sorry...thanks for having me here. I look forward to learning from you all.
Cheers
I am 48 years old and have been playing guitar since I was 12 so that would be ...ugh 36 years. I started Piano at 8 years old.

Welcome man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Dec 6 2012, 01:30 PM
Hey Mark, how are ya, sounds like you've got a nice setup.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Dec 6 2012, 01:34 PM
Hey mark, how's in Vegas?

Now that you've mention Jackson XL, that is very rare Japanese crafted Jackson ..

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jackson-pro-professional.php

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 6 2012, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Mark, wow what an introduction.. really interesting, thanks for sharing !

One of my old mates also had a Mexican Strat as his main guitar and he loved it ! smile.gif

Welcome to the site !!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 6 2012, 03:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Mark! Cool introduction!
You are a very experimented musician! It's a pleasure to have you here in this community. smile.gif
Welcome to GMC!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Dec 6 2012, 05:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Mark !

+Quote Post
Nava
Dec 6 2012, 06:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Mark!
Welcome, and its very interesting to have u here wink.gif

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.

+Quote Post
azureus
Dec 6 2012, 06:30 PM
Hay Mark wink.gif
Wich you verry welcome here!
Hope you post more story's
,nice to read !
And i wanne hear you play on that strat smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Dec 6 2012, 07:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Welcome Mark!

Hope to hear some of your tunes - Jump into a collab. Gee I bet you'd have some stories being a working muso in Vegas!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Dec 6 2012, 08:32 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Great intro. Welcome aboard! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
markfromvegas
Dec 7 2012, 11:23 AM
QUOTE (Nava @ Dec 6 2012, 05:21 PM) *
Hi Mark!
Welcome, and its very interesting to have u here wink.gif

Yea I figured I would get some of these types of comments if I left that long introduction. It's really odd the way some musicians treat fellow players. I should have edited it down to hello and moved on.

One of my old mates also had a Mexican Strat as his main guitar and he loved it !

Well I wouldn't say it is my main instrument. I use it but, it's not something I play live very often.
Thanks for the greeting, Ben.

Marcus Lavendell's version of Adolphe Adams "Oh holy night" is what led me here. I wanted the short backer he made for the tune. His version of Amberdawn" on youtube is absolutely stunning. very talented guy.

As I said in my introduction, I am wanting to learn new things; as much as I can. If I sounded like I was blowing my own horn in my greeting then what I was trying to say sure came out wrong.

Thanks for your kind responses...well most of them anyway!!

Mark

+Quote Post
Blister
Dec 7 2012, 03:53 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (markfromvegas @ Dec 7 2012, 05:23 AM) *
Marcus Lavendell's version of Adolphe Adams "Oh holy night" is what led me here. I wanted the short backer he made for the tune. His version of Amberdawn" on youtube is absolutely stunning. very talented guy.

As I said in my introduction, I am wanting to learn new things; as much as I can. If I sounded like I was blowing my own horn in my greeting then what I was trying to say sure came out wrong.

Hey Mark & welcome to GMC! smile.gif One of my goals is to learn "Oh Holy Night" cause I just love Marcus' arrangement. I started playing in my teen years (I'm 49) & sadly lost interest but I found GMC a few years ago got "reignited". I have a long way to go but I am loving the journey here at GMC.

I think it was a great introduction. No one is ever "finished" in learning their craft, right? The instructors are extremely helpful, encouraging & quick to respond. I have made a lot of friends here & have a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to what you will be sharing here! I personally enjoy the video chats. See you in the forum! smile.gif

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2012, 01:54 AM
Welecome to GMC! smile.gif Believe me when I say you have come to the right place. I've been here a couple of years and it's simply the best community of musicians I've ever been a part. Like being in a REALLY BIG band with wads of guitar players that are all cool smile.gif They just happen to live all over planet earth!

Hop in to the Live Video Chat Lessons and the Collabs! The "Collaboration Projects" or "Collabs" are a recording project started by students or instructors where folks create a solo over a backing and the leader makes a final mix/vid with the entries. They are WADS of fun smile.gif I'm working on one now based on GAME OF THRONE that one of our spiff students Patrik Berg, created. Here is the link.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46948

QUOTE (markfromvegas @ Dec 6 2012, 06:36 AM) *

Cheers

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Dec 8 2012, 08:47 PM

Welcome to the Forum !, Marcus is awesome indeed, Still love his nylon stratocaster that he once made.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bossie
Dec 9 2012, 09:33 AM
Welcome Mark...been to Vegas last year and going back next year ! Loved it overthere.. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 9 2012, 03:14 PM
Instructor
Hello Mark! Welcome to GMC man! If you need help, all you have to do shout out biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
markfromvegas
Dec 9 2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks Guys I really appreciate the kind words and first hand experiences with this forum. It is great to hear about the emphasis on learning and developing. I look forward to some collaborations and getting to know some of you.

Thanks!!
Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:11 PM