> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner's Corner 23: Pull-Offs, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Rhida
Oct 28 2014, 03:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 23: Pull-Offs by Bear Rose

Been working on it for quite some time now. It's definiely not a level 1 lesson at least for me!...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2014, 06:59 PM
Instructor
Hi again Rhida!

This take has some great moments and some others that need more practice. I can say that some of the first vibratos are great! They sound natural and go very well with the groove. Congrats!

The main problem in both sections (the first and the second half) is timing. In the first half, the pulled off note is played a it early, it's not bad but it's different compared with the original lesson. In the second half (starting with the lick that includes open E notes) the timing issues become more important, and it also needs more practice to make the open E notes and also the 12th fret notes sound louder, clearer.

Keep on practicing this one focusing on both things and you'll master it soon. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 30 2014, 10:13 AM
Instructor
Hey mate,

As Gabi said, there's clearly a big sign of overall improvement and as I said in the comments on your full collabtake, your vibrato is very sensible and full of expression - that is a strong point which you should strive on developing wink.gif

Timing, is the most important thing that needs your attention here, so please focus on playing along with the orginal recording - I know this gets annoying already, but it's a surefooted way to get the phrases, pulse, details and timing into your mind - and focus on the aspects Gabi mentioned. You can try to record against the original, once you feel confident and then compare the takes - what would the differences be?

Keep rocking and let's see the next take!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 4 2014, 02:23 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think this take is played very artistically similar to the original lesson. Very good job there!
The only issues are in technique nature. The most important one I notice is that you are playing a bit "staccato" sounding. This means that you make a small pause when you move from fretting one note to another. This is natural and with some practice focusing on this it is easy to fix. Pull-offs are pretty good but notice how after pulling off, you lose sustain of the note when moving the finger towards next note. Somehow you loosen the pressure on the string you pulled off to too early as a preparation to moving to another note/string. Try to make the pauses as minimal as possible and the piece will sound much smoother.

Let me go in more details :

The opening lick example: 0:00-0:06.
You need to keep the pressure on the index finger to keep the note ringing, while moving the ring finger and playing the next note with it. You should loosen the index finger pressure at the same time as when you play the next note with the ring finger (or even just slightly after playing the next note).

Another technique issue hot spot is when you need to play a note on one string with the index finger and then play the next one with the same finger but on the string above for example. Example of this is the 2nd lick in the lesson (0:06-0:08). Here you need to apply the same rule as before - keep the pressure on the index finger to keep the string vibrating and note sustaining and then quickly roll the finger upward to play the next note. Check out how Bear plays it in the lesson videos. Goal is to remove pauses in between the notes. I've made a bass lesson covering this topic in details, check it out (all of it applies to guitar) : Legato and Staccato

The section with open E string pull-offs has a bit of issues of picking hand synchronization with the pull-off motion. Practice this section some more to get it smoother.

Hope you'll find these tips useful, looking forward to your new REC videos.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 6 2014, 06:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:39 PM