Hello From Long Beach, California, Usa
TK Major
Dec 29 2012, 06:49 PM
GMC:er
My name is TK Major. I'm a songwriter, guitarist, and singer from Long Beach, CA. I've been playing... a long darn time. (OK, about 4 decades, most of which I was not busy practicing or developing my craft. I've seen others get where I am in 4 years. Or so. wink.gif )

I've split my time between electric and acoustic, but in recent years, I've seldom pulled out my electrics, preferring the inexpensive 000 I got a few years ago (Silver Creek, a Musician's Friend house brand made -- pretty well made for the dough, which was minimal -- in China) and my ancient and worn Yamaha G130a from the early 70s (I bought it for $37.50 US in '74). But I have a bunch of other gits, as well. None of them fancy or expensive.

I've never been able to settle into a single style (of playing or writing). I've bounced around like a subatomic particle in a cyclotron, starting out as a folkie who listened to a lot of acid rock and outsider prog (not your ELP stuff, by and large), getting sucked deeply into the punk/new music. After I'd been in that scene for a few years I got nailed on my motorcycle by a careless driver, had to leave my old warehouse manager job, went to school, became a recording engineer, worked at that fitfully through the 80s, getting a belly full of the music biz (actually more than a belly full), became a database programmer, built a 16 track project studio where I did my own work and took clients (for much of the 90s), then got sick of working on others music and took down my shingle. Now I'm fully back to computer work [now on the web] for the money thing, and working on my own music for my own pleasure.

My musical tastes have always been on the wildly eclectic side. In the punk/new music era I listened to both punk and what some have called no wave -- the dark side of new wave like Television, Magazine, Joy Division. In the 80s, I drifted slowly away from punk as it seemed to be ossifying into the same cliches and formulae that drove me away from the mainstream of rock/pop world. I moved more into roots and the more adventurous outsider post-punk stuff. In the late 80s and early 90s, bored with the scene, I started reaching out and listening to rave, club, and, especially, dub-influenced stuff. When I first heard Portishead, I felt like I'd found a new home in the kind of dub influenced trip hop they and a few others were doing. I'd been a synthesizer lab tutor in school in the early 80s and I plunged back into electronics deeply. But I burn out -- and scenes burn out -- and by 2003, I'd pretty much abandoned most of my electronica trappings and was playing a lot of acoustic. I bought a cheap banjo and a cheaper mandolin (I'd always wanted both) and found myself drawn by my fingerpicking and by those new toys back to the bluegrass and folk I'd loved in junior high (when all the teenyboppers were listening to all that British Invasion stuff like the Beatles biggrin.gif ).

Anyhow, I suspect I'm the only one left reading this... that is, if I didn't fall asleep proofreading...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by TK Major: Dec 29 2012, 06:59 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 29 2012, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Great introduction TK, really interesting story. You sounds like you've experienced a lot and seen a lot ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 29 2012, 10:31 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Interesting background and musical tastes! It's really cool to have you as a part of this community.
Enjoy GMC and let us know if you need assistance with the site or anything else.
Cheers,

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
TK Major
Dec 30 2012, 03:46 AM
Cheers, guys!

Not sure why I decided to launch into the story of my musical life there, but done is done. Sadly, perhaps, I'm as fast a typist as I am a poor self-editor. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 30 2012, 02:27 PM
Welcome TK! I understand your guitar journey only too well, it sounds somewhat similar to my own. Only difference being that when you went into Studio type things I went into Guitar Tech-ing! Also nice to meet a fellow World Music fan too!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 30 2012, 02:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
if only I could wake up ( after that long intr) to welcome you blink.gif
hello to a Californian from another Californian ( just happening to live in Kansas)

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Dec 30 2012, 05:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Welcome Nice to meet you here now !

+Quote Post
TK Major
Dec 30 2012, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 30 2012, 01:38 PM) *
if only I could wake up ( after that long intr) to welcome you blink.gif
hello to a Californian from another Californian ( just happening to live in Kansas)

biggrin.gif

Yeah, don't start me on my favorite topic... which would be... me. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Dec 30 2012, 09:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to GMC TK! smile.gif Great intro & I love the variety of musical interests. This is an amazing place. Looking forward to seeing you in the forum & the chats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2013, 12:12 AM
Welcome to GMC TK!!!! This is a great place for musicians and you'll find a variety of styles here in the lessons and collabs. Join in some of the video chats as well. You are diving in to a whole new experience here and it's gonna be amazing wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (TK Major @ Dec 29 2012, 12:49 PM) *
My name is TK Major. I'm a songwriter, guitarist, and singer from Long Beach, CA. I've been playing... a long darn time. (OK, about 4 decades, most of which I was not busy practicing or developing my craft. I've seen others get where I am in 4 years. Or so. wink.gif )

I've split my time between electric and acoustic, but in recent years, I've seldom pulled out my electrics, preferring the inexpensive 000 I got a few years ago (Silver Creek, a Musician's Friend house brand made -- pretty well made for the dough, which was minimal -- in China) and my ancient and worn Yamaha G130a from the early 70s (I bought it for $37.50 US in '74). But I have a bunch of other gits, as well. None of them fancy or expensive.

I've never been able to settle into a single style (of playing or writing). I've bounced around like a subatomic particle in a cyclotron, starting out as a folkie who listened to a lot of acid rock and outsider prog (not your ELP stuff, by and large), getting sucked deeply into the punk/new music. After I'd been in that scene for a few years I got nailed on my motorcycle by a careless driver, had to leave my old warehouse manager job, went to school, became a recording engineer, worked at that fitfully through the 80s, getting a belly full of the music biz (actually more than a belly full), became a database programmer, built a 16 track project studio where I did my own work and took clients (for much of the 90s), then got sick of working on others music and took down my shingle. Now I'm fully back to computer work [now on the web] for the money thing, and working on my own music for my own pleasure.

My musical tastes have always been on the wildly eclectic side. In the punk/new music era I listened to both punk and what some have called no wave -- the dark side of new wave like Television, Magazine, Joy Division. In the 80s, I drifted slowly away from punk as it seemed to be ossifying into the same cliches and formulae that drove me away from the mainstream of rock/pop world. I moved more into roots and the more adventurous outsider post-punk stuff. In the late 80s and early 90s, bored with the scene, I started reaching out and listening to rave, club, and, especially, dub-influenced stuff. When I first heard Portishead, I felt like I'd found a new home in the kind of dub influenced trip hop they and a few others were doing. I'd been a synthesizer lab tutor in school in the early 80s and I plunged back into electronics deeply. But I burn out -- and scenes burn out -- and by 2003, I'd pretty much abandoned most of my electronica trappings and was playing a lot of acoustic. I bought a cheap banjo and a cheaper mandolin (I'd always wanted both) and found myself drawn by my fingerpicking and by those new toys back to the bluegrass and folk I'd loved in junior high (when all the teenyboppers were listening to all that British Invasion stuff like the Beatles biggrin.gif ).

Anyhow, I suspect I'm the only one left reading this... that is, if I didn't fall asleep proofreading...

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 5 2013, 01:15 AM
Instructor
Nice intro man ! Welcome to GMC smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:35 AM