4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Favorite Bands?, And Why
Aaron
Jun 30 2007, 06:07 AM
GMC:er
well i would make this a poll but i cant possibly list all of the bands .. anyway i think that my #1 band is metallica beacause of their solos and riffs

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Aaron: Jun 30 2007, 06:07 AM

--------------------
DON'T BUG ME ... I'M PRACTICING

Gear: (new) fender strat , 25g frontman amp,
Wishlist: Ibanez Jem, Flying V natural.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Jun 30 2007, 08:08 AM
Smashing Pumpkins- for just being awesome. Billy Corgan is an amazing lyricist, and a very good guitarist. they have heavy songs, soft songs, and weird songs. plus, the music is special to me anyway.

Muse- because those three and super-talented crazy people. i love their music; it's fantastic. and Matt Bellamy is an amazing guitarist.

Nirvana- because kurt inspires me in some weird way. and, nirvana always sounds good. perfect mix between pop and rock without that sell-out kind of sound.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 30 2007, 02:52 PM
Odd Nordstoga becuase of his genius songs, melodies, lyrics and everything. He got a very unique music style.

If anyone is wondering about who this guy is, read my review on him in the review forum.

+Quote Post
Gen
Jun 30 2007, 03:11 PM
Dream theater!
Listen to the album : "scenes from a memory" and you will understand why wink.gif

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 30 2007, 04:06 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Iron Maiden

Because no band had ever inspired me more than Iron Maiden, not just in music, but to just be a good person, they also helped me through alot of rough times in my life where all i really did was listen to my maiden albums to make the day seem less worse. And on top of that, Steve is an ingenious Writer, Bruce is the best damn vocalist ever (my opppinion) and my number one favorite guitarist is Dave Murray, his style is awesome, he inspires me so much to play the guitar. Adrian and Janick do as well, 3 completly unique soloing styles that just astound me everytime i hear them play. And then theres Nicko, His classic chug-long drum beats are classic, and the last things, there melodies are the most memorable once ive ever heard, and the signature maiden gallop of course!!!

Up The Irons Till Death And Beyond!!!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jun 30 2007, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 30 2007, 04:16 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 30 2007, 03:06 PM) *
Iron Maiden

Because no band had ever inspired me more than Iron Maiden, not just in music, but to just be a good person, they also helped me through alot of rough times in my life where all i really did was listen to my maiden albums to make the day seem less worse. And on top of that, Steve is an ingenious Writer, Bruce is the best damn vocalist ever (my opppinion) and my number one favorite guitarist is Dave Murray, his style is awesome, he inspires me so much to play the guitar. Adrian and Janick do as well, 3 completly unique soloing styles that just astound me everytime i hear them play. And then theres Nicko, His classic chug-long drum beats are classic, and the last things, there melodies are the most memorable once ive ever heard, and the signature maiden gallop of course!!!

Up The Irons Till Death And Beyond!!!

Thats a touching story actually smile.gif Indeed Iron Maiden is awesome, even though I dont listen to them much nowdays they are still one of my favorite bands. I have never loved a band that much and for that long as I loved Maiden. Three years straight I listened to nothing but Maiden. I love everything about the band, the name, the logo, album covers, Eddie and of course all the things you said above. and they are all really nice guys, not a bunch of arrogant drug addicts.
I know you're gonna hate me for this but I hate the way they have gone with their music now. I cant stand their new album. But everything from Iron Maiden to Seventh son are extremely awesome classics, and the 90's stuff is also really good, but I dont quite get the "Maiden feeling" from those albums. Brave new world is a classic aswell, I really love that album, its incredible. Dance of death got awesome songs, but I dont like the sound, and theres too much synth for my taste. Every band evolve of course, and thats a good thing. No one wants to hear the same album getting released 40 years in a row smile.gif But meeeh, I dont like the new stuff tongue.gif

UP THE IRONS! \m/

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 30 2007, 05:36 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Thats cool man, im not gonna hold it against you, i Personally think A Matter Of Life And Death is amazing, its my favorite album, Next to Powerslave of course, i just really dig the overall feel, it reminded me of Seventh Son... actually, And i still feel all the maiden in it smile.gif

+Quote Post
icedern
Jun 30 2007, 06:56 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Uncreator here in saying Iron Maiden. No other band has more influence on me then they do. Although, its hard to have just one because I have so many other favorites and there are so many other bands that I know influenced millions of other metal bands. (Black Sabbath, Slayer, Led Zeppelin, Priest, etc). I guess if you really want to get serious, you have to thank composers like Bach and such for giving us our metal...they are the original metal heads.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
jimmy
Jun 30 2007, 08:05 PM
Guns and Roses (L) Slash is the greatest of them all rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 30 2007, 08:14 PM
Ive been influenced by so many bands it would be impossible to name them all.

The ones that speak out to ME the most would have to be the Red Hott Chili Peppers, Van Halen, Led Zepplin.

The specific guitarists that speak to me the most though would have to be in this order. 1. Joe Satriani
2. John frusicante
3. Paulbo Gliberto
4. Mab
5.DimeBag

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jun 30 2007, 08:19 PM
Okay...

I know everyone's gonna hate me for this but....

I have to say that, in all honesty, my favorite band is probably Fall Out Boy. Why is this? Well...I've always liked music, but I never really thought of the possibility of becoming a musician myself until one day I saw the video for "Grand Theft Autumn/Where is your Boy" on Fuse's Oven Fresh. I watched the whole video, loved it, and as soon as it was over I was like "wait F*** what was the name of that band!?" I later found out and bought all their CDs. I've been listening to Fall Out Boy for about 4 years now, and all their songs have meaning to me. I admit that their not particularly worthy of musical merit, but I love the vocal style of Patrick. I'm not particularly fond of the lyrics, but whatever.

The thing is, Fall Out Boy's songs remind me of old memories. They have sentimental value. And they're pretty fun to sing along to.

This facet does not mean that I don't listen to many more talented and skilled musicians. In fact, listening to Fall Out Boy motivates me to become a great musician, so that I could maybe one day start a band that has similar vocal hooks and poppy sound, but with actually good musicianship and song-writing skill as well.

Among other favorites: Jupiter Sunrise, The Academy Is..., Motion City Soundtrack, Death Cab for Cutie, Sigur Ros, John Mayer, John Legend, Mute Math, Best Interest (broken up now, but you should ALL check them out), Explosions in the Sky, Paramore, Brand New, Jimmy Eat World, Jason Mraz, Mae, Maroon 5, and many many more.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 30 2007, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Pantalaimon @ Jun 30 2007, 07:19 PM) *
Okay...

I know everyone's gonna hate me for this but....

Of course not. I know how it is to be "the only one" listening to something. As I said earlier in this thread, Odd Nordstoga is my favorite artist. He is a norwegian folk/rock/pop artist, and everyone I know hate him. My band mates especially. I think its cool with people that listen to something thats not "cool" or "in" or whatever.

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jun 30 2007, 08:51 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 30 2007, 02:31 PM) *
Of course not. I know how it is to be "the only one" listening to something. As I said earlier in this thread, Odd Nordstoga is my favorite artist. He is a norwegian folk/rock/pop artist, and everyone I know hate him. My band mates especially. I think its cool with people that listen to something thats not "cool" or "in" or whatever.

Funny thing is, Robin, Fall Out Boy recently hit it big in 2005. I've been listening to them since early 2004, and you can't even imagine how angry I got when all the stupid ditsy girls with no taste in music started walkin around sayin "I LOVE FALL OUT BOY" and I'm just thinking "shut up bitch do you know any songs except Sugar We're Going Down?"

but yea they're like, totally in the scene right now, so everyone's callin them sellouts and thinking they're poppy shit cause they're on the radio. Granted, most bands on the radio are poppy bad shit, but Fall Out Boy isn't. at least to me they aren't.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 30 2007, 08:57 PM
QUOTE (Pantalaimon @ Jun 30 2007, 07:51 PM) *
Funny thing is, Robin, Fall Out Boy recently hit it big in 2005. I've been listening to them since early 2004, and you can't even imagine how angry I got when all the stupid ditsy girls with no taste in music started walkin around sayin "I LOVE FALL OUT BOY" and I'm just thinking "shut up bitch do you know any songs except Sugar We're Going Down?"

but yea they're like, totally in the scene right now, so everyone's callin them sellouts and thinking they're poppy shit cause they're on the radio. Granted, most bands on the radio are poppy bad shit, but Fall Out Boy isn't. at least to me they aren't.

Ah I see. People like that can be a pain in the a$$.

This post has been edited by Robin: Jun 30 2007, 08:59 PM

+Quote Post
GuitarDude
Jun 30 2007, 09:26 PM
I like Europe and Pantera alot =P

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 30 2007, 09:32 PM
I would have to say that my favorite band ever is opeth smile.gif. They in my opinion are the greatest metal band of all time. Although there are many other metal bands that i love listening to and have really made memorable music, there is no band like opeth, From their unpredictable riffs, great deathmetal growl, overly poetic lyrics and even there very chill songs opeth is what inspires me to be a great guitarist. There is no music that takes me away from life like opeth, never have i imagined such great vivid things as when im listening to opeth, they are like drugs without drugs smile.gif. Its hard to explain. The way they cut away from the main stream of music today gives me hope for a future of music and of metal. Mikael Åkerfeldt once said " I have no doubts that if Opeth played what people wanted to hear we would be better off, but we don't and thats what makes Opeth what it is today". I hope this statement never changes smile.gif Laying on my bed listening to Windowpane with my headphones on is my favorite thing to do ever! smile.gif If you havn't listened to Opeth you are missing out.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Owen
Jun 30 2007, 09:48 PM
Disbelief - Angst Ridden Vocalist makes it for me, I dunno how he does it, but its pretty awesome.

Opeth - The versatility to do that stuff astounds me.

Acid Bath - Lyrical genius. "When death sleeps... he dreams of you"

Pantera - Textbook, everyone wants the same level of simplicity, power.

Gojira - The harmonics kill me.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jun 30 2007, 10:04 PM
Well... i hate 90% of all metal (especially death metal) I would have to say the Jimi Hendrix Experience Is my favorite band.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
GuitarDude
Jun 30 2007, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 30 2007, 11:04 PM) *
Well... i hate 90% of all metal (especially death metal) I would have to say the Jimi Hendrix Experience Is my favorite band.

why hate metal? metal is great!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jul 1 2007, 12:38 AM
I dont hate ALL metal. I REALLY LOVE megadeth, iron maiden,dream theater,some metallica(first four albums) some pantera,and several others i cant think of right now. but i hate death metal because of the vocals, and all this black, drone and extreme stuff is just too much for me. I wish gmc had more classic rock love. Thats where its at for me and Thats what i grew up with. I totally respect anyones opinion, as long as they arent like "OMG Y00 IZ S00 S100P!D M3T4L IZ TEH R0xx0RZ!!!1!!1!! 0LD R0CK SUXX0RZZZ!!11!1"
There you go.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Jul 1 2007, 12:38 AM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:31 AM