First Time You Heard 'impossible' Guitar ?
Ben Higgins
Mar 16 2012, 11:47 AM
Instructor
Hey Guys, I remember the very first time I became aware of Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing. I was played 'Black Star' followed by 'Far Beyond the Sun' and my jaw hit the floor !

I honestly thought there was some secret, special way that he was playing the guitar that nobody else knew about.. that was the first time I really thought that I was listening to 'impossible' guitar playing ?

What about you ? When did you have your first moment of 'Wow, that's impossible!' ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
TeoWulf
Mar 16 2012, 11:57 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 16 2012, 11:47 AM) *
Hey Guys, I remember the very first time I became aware of Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing. I was played 'Black Star' followed by 'Far Beyond the Sun' and my jaw hit the floor !

I honestly thought there was some secret, special way that he was playing the guitar that nobody else knew about.. that was the first time I really thought that I was listening to 'impossible' guitar playing ?

What about you ? When did you have your first moment of 'Wow, that's impossible!' ?

Luca Turilli's solo on Unholy Warcry

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 16 2012, 12:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Mar 16 2012, 10:57 AM) *

That was great ! Sounds so clean smile.gif

I'm surprised how close to the neck he picks.. but if it works.... ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Mar 16 2012, 12:14 PM
Every time i head Steve Vai's playing sounded impossible to reach...
Also, when i listen to prog death metal bands like Atheist , Cynic , Nocturnus, i think it's impossible to make music such as defined back in the day...

QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Mar 16 2012, 11:57 AM) *

Unfortunately his not playing in Rhapsody (in fire) anymore sad.gif
Some american guy named Tom Hess plays instead of him.!! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 16 2012, 06:06 PM
Instructor
I was 13 years old I went to see Joe Satriani live... I said... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Mar 16 2012, 06:23 PM
Learning Roadie
When I saw Funtwo's version of Canon Rock, that was amazing to me. I realize now that it is a bit sloppy in some parts, but back then I didn't know anything about guitar. It was then when started wanting to actually play guitar.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 16 2012, 06:26 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Steve Vai concert at age 14, I was blown away how he performed Whispering A Prayer perfectly, not so much the technicality, but his tonal control was mindblowing.

+Quote Post
Sam Young
Mar 16 2012, 07:22 PM
For me, too, it was Funtwo's Canon. I like to float around YouTube watching videos of people recording their playing, it's part of what made me want to be able to play myself.

This post has been edited by Sam Young: Mar 16 2012, 07:23 PM

+Quote Post
eMGie
Mar 16 2012, 07:45 PM
At first I was amazed by Zakk Wylde's playing, smile.gif

But some day I saw Raising Force song by Y. J. Malmsteen... ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by eMGie: Mar 16 2012, 07:45 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 16 2012, 09:03 PM
Learning Roadie
I can't remember the first time I heard impossible guitar but I do remember the first time I saw a band in my local pub play Mr Big and getting the Paul Gilbert stuff down.

I asked him how he did it and he replied 'A lot of practice'

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
FrontlineGuitar
Mar 17 2012, 02:25 PM
Probably either Canon Rock, or even Kris's lessons on YT! wink.gif Then I went and discovered a load of instrumental music (think Satch, malmsteen etc, ..never really got into Vai for some reason mellow.gif )

And as you guess, that kind of redefined what guitar playing was for me back then! wink.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 17 2012, 03:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I heard the first solo album from vinnie vincent ( vinnie vincent invasion! LOL! ) I think that was the first time I heard that type of guitar. I didnt know that someone could play that fast. it really did sound impossible to me at the time.

This post has been edited by bleez: Mar 17 2012, 03:10 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 17 2012, 04:19 PM
Van Halen ~ Eruption.

The track that spawned a whole new era in guitar playing!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 17 2012, 05:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
I grew up listening to van halen and Randy Rhaods and then heard a Steeler album with malmsteen
and thought what the h*** was that
fell in love with that aggressive pic sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJdboAZbVys...feature=related

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Mar 17 2012, 06:37 PM

+Quote Post
spacebran
Mar 17 2012, 06:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Mar 16 2012, 10:57 AM) *

I wouldn't say it was the first time I heard an 'impossible guitar solo', but this is definitely one of them! This is one of my absolute favorite guitar solos!!

I would have to say it would probably be something by Malmsteen and afterwards I discovered Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Mar 17 2012, 07:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
For me it was Malmsteen and then even more so it was Chris Impellitteri...I just love his playing.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2012, 07:43 PM
I'd say I heard "Impossibly good" before I heard, "Impossible". The Impossibly good solo was probably COMFORTABLY NUMB by PINK FLOYD and I became a huge fan right away. Then later on I hear the live solo from the RACER X live album played by the insane PAUL GILBERT and I thought it was FAKE! That can't be a human! smile.gif But yup. It was a real guy.

I always wanted to try to combine those two, the crazy good, with just the crazy. It's not easy but it's a noble goal smile.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 17 2012, 07:55 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 17 2012, 07:19 AM) *
Van Halen ~ Eruption.

The track that spawned a whole new era in guitar playing!
smile.gif

+1 cool.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 17 2012, 08:10 PM
Learning Roadie
What about impossible 2 guitars

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:51 PM