Mrblomme Mtp Thread
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 4 2009, 05:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to bass MTP Mrblomme!

All your assignments and discussions will be presented here.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 4 2009, 05:35 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Mrblomme
Sep 4 2009, 10:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Bogdan!

Well as allready mentioned in the PM I've send you: I'm on a holiday from the 7th until the 13th of September so I can start from 14th (maybe 13th).

I hope this aint a problem for you? I will come online a few times in the next week so if you want you can allready post the assignments and I can have a look at them on holiday but I cant carry my bass. smile.gif

EDIT: just saw the CV thread, will do that tomorrow wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mrblomme: Sep 4 2009, 11:00 PM

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 4 2009, 11:21 PM
It's not a problem. First assignment will be technique basics oriented. I think you have already practiced that so I'm sure you will be able to catch up. I'll post you an assignment on Monday (when my MTP kicks off) and then you can catch up when you get back from holiday and do the take then. I'm sure it won't be a problem for you.

Looking forward to a CV thread! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 4 2009, 11:23 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 5 2009, 12:21 AM) *
It's not a problem. First assignment will be technique basics oriented. I think you have already practiced that so I'm sure you will be able to catch up. I'll post you an assignment on Monday (when my MTP kicks off) and then you can catch up when you get back from holiday and do the take then. I'm sure it won't be a problem for you.

Looking forward to a CV thread! smile.gif

CV is coming in tomorrow smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 5 2009, 12:29 PM
As promised, here's the CV!

Well as you allready know I only play the bass a short time and I didnt had much practice the last weeks due to some private problems. Things I allready did are some lessons of you, like the root lesson and the Muse style.

I cant slap but I sure want to learn it and I think I'm a pretty quick learner!
Music I like the most is some punk like Bad Religion/Zebrahead but I also listen to a lot of different genres as Rolling Stones, ACDC but can also enjoy classical or drum&bass.

My favo bands

My bass playing is at the moment at the very basics but I'm sure with your help I can get it to the next level!

If you need to know something just shoot! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mrblomme: Sep 5 2009, 12:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 5 2009, 02:28 PM
Good introduction, its enough for start! First assignment will be posted on Monday (you can then do it the week after along with that weeks task - to keep up). smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 5 2009, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 5 2009, 03:28 PM) *
Good introduction, its enough for start! First assignment will be posted on Monday (you can then do it the week after along with that weeks task - to keep up). smile.gif

Allrightie! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 5 2009, 08:14 PM
Weekly assignment 1:

Technique and timing workout

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/

Goal : To be able to play all 6 exercises without mistakes on various tempos and all over the fretboard.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills.

Instructions :

Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily

You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.

Rules of the practice:

1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. On which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
In the end of the week I want you to record one of the patterns (your choice) played on the tempo your are comfortable with (highest comfortable one for you at that time) starting from 1st and ending on 12th fret. Include a metronome click or drum backing in your recording. Recording should be VIDEO but if you can't make it I can accept audio one too (but I need video to see your posture and everything so aim for the video one).

Deadline to complete: 13th of September

Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 5 2009, 08:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 6 2009, 11:36 PM
I didnt have much free time today but I've started with the excercise. I practiced the first 2 patterns and it goes pretty well!

First 2 patterns are @ 100BPM 8ths at the moment with all rules good.

Maybe I can practice a little before my depart tomorrow but I'm not sure, I'll try to play the first 2 a few times at 100BPM 8ths and maybe try an other pattern at slow tempo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 7 2009, 12:03 AM
Glad to hear about your progress! I would recommend playing 3 exercise patterns per day. Starting from 60bpm and then going up by 10-20 bpm depends where the problem tempo is towards target tempo. It would be good for example to go till 100bpm and to go through all the exercise patterns first. With every repetition on every tempo you need to start on 1st fret and go up to 12th fret without stopping in between, rather just sliding the index finger to the next fret and starting same exercise one fret up. I hope you understand what I mean by that, if you don't I can illustrate that in Guitar Pro for you. That will qualify as a success on a given tempo if you can play it without mistake. Once you go through all patterns you can start pushing the tempo of 100bpm by starting each exercise on 80bpm (warm up before that) and when you get to 100 you can make increments smaller like 5bpm or even 1-3bpm depending on difficulty.

100 bpm is a very good progress regarding all the techniques you have to focus on during exercise! Good job!

Generally 30 minutes of focused practice a day will do wonders! I know about your vacating, I guess you'll be able to catch up as I think you have already worked on the next assignment's topic so you'll have time for technique practice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 7 2009, 12:27 AM
I'm doing the sliding thing! smile.gif
Well there's a small chance the bass is going along with me on holiday to practice maybe 15mins a day when I'm not drunk enough. laugh.gif

Yeah I'll try to do that, first all pats at 100bpm 8ths.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 7 2009, 12:44 AM
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Sep 7 2009, 01:27 AM) *
I'm doing the sliding thing! smile.gif
Well there's a small chance the bass is going along with me on holiday to practice maybe 15mins a day when I'm not drunk enough. laugh.gif

Yeah I'll try to do that, first all pats at 100bpm 8ths.

Good plan! You will see once you go through all patterns and connect few days of practice - everything will be much easier to play and somehow feel more satisfying. (even though its only "boring exercises"). Don't forget to take your metronome with you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 7 2009, 12:47 AM
O yes need to take metronome with me! Almost forgot that!
Well it's not 100% sure my bass is going with me (will depend on how much empty space there will be left in my car smile.gif).

Now I'm off man, getting some sleep, tomorrow get the car ready, maybe practice a little and then the holiday begins!

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 7 2009, 11:20 AM
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Sep 7 2009, 01:47 AM) *
O yes need to take metronome with me! Almost forgot that!
Well it's not 100% sure my bass is going with me (will depend on how much empty space there will be left in my car smile.gif ).

Now I'm off man, getting some sleep, tomorrow get the car ready, maybe practice a little and then the holiday begins!

Cheers!

Have a nice trip and fun! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 13 2009, 10:09 PM
Et voila I'm back! Tomorrow I'm getting back on the bass!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 13 2009, 10:43 PM
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Sep 13 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Et voila I'm back! Tomorrow I'm getting back on the bass!

Welcome back! Hope you had a great time!
I suggest you to start working on the first assignment tomorrow, there will be another one posted too but you'll manage it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 14 2009, 08:25 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 13 2009, 11:43 PM) *
Welcome back! Hope you had a great time!
I suggest you to start working on the first assignment tomorrow, there will be another one posted too but you'll manage it! smile.gif

Working on it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 14 2009, 01:43 PM
Weekly assignment 2:

Technique and theory workout

Lessons to practice:

Technique: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-2/

Theory: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...ls-bass-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3285

Goal : Further extend technique by playing a new set of exercises this week and being able to play faster.(bpm). Learn and understand theory about intervals.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills. Learn a basic theory topic - intervals. You really need to understand them well for future progress.

Instructions for technique exercises:

Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily

You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.

Rules of the practice:

1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).

Instructions for theory practice:

I want you to you read the material in my spoken video of the lesson about intervals. You also need to read the Andrew's thread about intervals as its more elaborated and covers more material. Try to understand the intervals, what they are, how are they built, how to name them etc....Try to get into the material and understand it, not just read it. It is a very important subject you need to master for your future progress.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. Regarding technique exercises - which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
Regarding theory assignment, I want you to consider it your primary one! Go through all the materials (you don't need to actually learn my video lessons bass line, just the theory about intervals).By the end of week (friday) I will post a little intervals test for you to fill in and check your knowledge.

Deadline to complete: 19th of September

Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 14 2009, 01:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 14 2009, 02:34 PM
Allright this one will be pretty easy for me since you allready teached me the intervals. laugh.gif
So no videocapturing needs to be done this week?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 14 2009, 03:26 PM
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Sep 14 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Allright this one will be pretty easy for me since you allready teached me the intervals. laugh.gif
So no videocapturing needs to be done this week?

Yeah no video capturing is needed this week. Only to grasp the knowledge of intervals well and to practice technique exercises! Latter on I'll post you individual tests to check the intervals knowledge smile.gif

But it would be good if you could record last weeks assignment, just for me to see if you are doing the exercises properly.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:07 AM