Question About Guitar Pots?can U Answer?
shredmandan
Aug 4 2007, 06:58 AM
GMC:er
Hello GMC

i havent got alot of responses to my posts latley sad.gif Hopefully some people will help on this.Alright im replacing almost all the parts on my Fender stratocaster and i was thinking about buying new volume and tone pots.Question i have is there a really noticable difference between the 250k and 500k pots?I believe the 250k pots are more suited for single coils but what exactly will the difference be?My strat originally was a 3 single coil but i have instaled a seynour duncan sh-6 distortion humbucker at bridge.Dont know if it matter's but this guitar has a rare push button on it that gives you 7 different pickup selections rather than 5.If you know where i can find pickguards with this button already routed in the pickguard please send me a link.Well i hope some of you are nice enough to give me some good advice.I'm a nice guy and i post in your topic's biggrin.gif

Thanks
Shredmandan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 4 2007, 07:09 AM
Ill post but im going to have to apologize and say im no help.. I like keeping my guitars Simple and any rewiring i would do would include 2 new humbuckers a 3 way treble switch and a 250k Volume pot for each pickup and a matching 2 way tuning pot. thats all yea need really imo smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Aug 4 2007, 09:09 AM
well I have the scoop on the pots.....I just went thru this whole mess.....I had no clue what they ment ither till i went to the pros at my local music shop........Well basicaly as it was described to me a pot is much like a door......think of it as the door closed would be 0... so no sound will go thru......A .250 pot would be 1/4 open so your pickup will only work 1/2 of its potential output......not a bad thing at all if you want a very warm sound it will have plenty of sustain............now a .500 pot will give you full output........but at a cost of very high mid and treble output with plenty of feedback issues............so basicaly thats how they work and what they will do for you in a nut shell...........hope this helped out

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 4 2007, 09:34 AM
QUOTE (ballistic31 @ Aug 4 2007, 04:09 AM) *
well I have the scoop on the pots.....I just went thru this whole mess.....I had no clue what they ment ither till i went to the pros at my local music shop........Well basicaly as it was described to me a pot is much like a door......think of it as the door closed would be 0... so no sound will go thru......A .250 pot would be 1/4 open so your pickup will only work 1/2 of its potential output......not a bad thing at all if you want a very warm sound it will have plenty of sustain............now a .500 pot will give you full output........but at a cost of very high mid and treble output with plenty of feedback issues............so basicaly thats how they work and what they will do for you in a nut shell...........hope this helped out

yes it did help thanks smile.gif
Now i just dont know which to use . I like the trebile but i use very little mid's as it is.I play with the mids set at 3 max out of 10 and at 2 most of the time.Guess i will just have to figure out which one will be best for me. smile.gif
Thanks again
Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 4 2007, 09:45 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Use 500k pots for humbuckers and 250k pots for singlecoils!

Why put a 250k instead of a 500k when you can turn the potentiometer half way for the desired "half"?

If you have a push pull pot they are available. Have a look at eBay, there's ploenty there. And for pots there's A and B pots with different functionality (linear or logaritmic or somehting) one is for volume and the other kind for tone. Just find out if they say "tone pot" or "volume pot".

What you need to find out is;

Do you need A or B, 500k, 250k or both?
Long or short shaften (depth in body they have to pass through)
Push/pull or regular?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:37 AM