Pinch Harmonics And Associated Pickups
fatstrat
Feb 13 2008, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
I just have a simple question to ask the GMC community.....Can amazing pinch harmonics be generated through normal pickups? Or...are active/"gainy" pickups a necessity for metal style harmonics?

As a side note, I have a Seymour Duncan Alnico II neck and a Gibson Burstbucker Pro Bridge and can't seem to get good squealies out of either with the right settings on both amp and pedal. I also have a decent pinch technique.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
at lights end
Feb 13 2008, 09:47 PM
yes they can.
a lot of gain in the amp helps. but the other day i was playing this riff on my friends guitar, stock pickups, nothing amazing, he actually despises the thing. but anyway i was playing this riff and when it got to the pinch harmonic i was amazed, it was the best sounding harmonic i've ever played. that was on a little practise amp.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 13 2008, 09:48 PM
Get to da Chopper!
On a good day i can hear mine when not even plugged in to my amp- for metal some high gain pickups could really help them sing- but having a good thumb technique and adding that vibrato are the real necessities here smile.gif

(though they sound like good pickups you have- i wouldnt know as im on a budget setup for now...)

But if you have money to splash out on then go for a new set if that is what your heart desires wub.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 13 2008, 11:58 PM
Instructor
Technique is what counts when doing pinched harmonics. You can do that nicely on almost any type of pickups. You have great pickups imho you just need a little practice that's all.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
bsamn
Feb 14 2008, 11:40 PM
Hey fatstrat,

I personally think its all about technique man.

You do not have to get active pups, to get it, nor do you have to have gain to achieve pinch harmonix, the only thing gain does is gives a cooler sound.

The thing with active pickups is that it will give you more output, just a normal pickup with a little bit of oomph smile.gif.

Its like playing a powerchord, you can play with or without gain, just that distorted version of it (the one with gain) gives you that heavy metal feel.

I actually discovered pinch harmonics by totally by mistake tongue.gif , on the acoustic guitar (which is very long story wink.gif )

All i can say is that keep practicing man, and you will nail it 100%.

Just a last suggestion, just incase you did not know, try to only use one pick up while trying to achieve a squeal, and try to find that sweet spot on where to hit the string. ( try asking an instructor about this, im sure they can help you better with then explanation, if i am not clear enough).

I hope my info helped.

Keep rockin' bro!

This post has been edited by bsamn: Feb 14 2008, 11:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2008, 12:00 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi Fatstrat,
output pickups would "help" you a little..But you will be able to do them on any instrument with a little more practice...You have great pickups there.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
stratman33
Feb 15 2008, 03:52 AM
it does not matter what kind of pickups u have for pinch harmonics, its all about the technique.you can get them to sound a bit better probably on EMG's or something but pickups arent going to help u get good at pinch harmonics smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 15 2008, 03:43 PM
Don't consider equipment until you can reliably hit PHs where you can hear them acoustically and not just plugged in.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
fire
Feb 16 2008, 01:05 PM
Yep its about technique; but with my ibanez gio guitar I made the expericene, that artifical harmonics are not to be made with one pick ups - its really strange: i tested it with hitting one perfectly on another pickup, with max. distortion etc, but when using the toggle switch then to THAT mad.gif pu; the a h disapperas instantly!
But beside that strange story; imo its all about technique wink.gif
never detected that on any other guitar

cheers

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 16 2008, 09:21 PM
Instructor
active pickups can help you, but you can play them with normal pickups... well, I use a Dimarzio Evolution and they are great for harmonics biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:28 PM