Tunings & 7 Strings
bleez
Sep 18 2014, 01:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
* possible dumb question ahead - tread gently *

how are 7 strings for playing stuff at low tunings which are originally played on a 6 string? for example if a song was originally played in drop A on a 6 with - A-G-C-F-A-D, would you play that on a 7 and how would the tuning be?

ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 18 2014, 05:23 PM
Learning Roadie
The 7 string is just an extra B. If you dropped it down to A from standard, it would be AEADGBE.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 18 2014, 06:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
what would you do with the low B if you wanted to play a song that was originally played on a 6 string in drop A cool.gif
if the original tuning was AGCFAD would you go -

B ------->?
E-------> A
A-------->G
D-------->C
G-------->F
B-------->A
E-------->D

or :

B ------->A
E-------> G
A-------->C
D-------->F
G-------->A
B-------->D
E-------->?

Im curious how the extra string would be tuned, just for 'completeness'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2014, 08:18 PM
GMC:er
Well, you could just tune the low B to a FIFTH BELOW A and it would work smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 18 2014, 01:42 PM) *
what would you do with the low B if you wanted to play a song that was originally played on a 6 string in drop A cool.gif
if the original tuning was AGCFAD would you go -

B ------->?
E-------> A
A-------->G
D-------->C
G-------->F
B-------->A
E-------->D

or :

B ------->A
E-------> G
A-------->C
D-------->F
G-------->A
B-------->D
E-------->?

Im curious how the extra string would be tuned, just for 'completeness'.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 19 2014, 07:48 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif drop A would be A E A D F# B first of all and if you want to place it on a 7 string, it would be A E A D G B E.

You must see the 7 string as a 6 string with an extra thick string that normally comes tuned to B and the 6 string as a guitar that keeps the standard tuning geometry and interval disposition, but lower.

That means from thick to thin:

Standard E: E A D G B E -> drop the thick E string and you get the drop D tuning
Standard D: D G C F A D -> drop the thick D string and you get the drop C tuning
Standard C: C F Bb Eb G C -> drop the thick C string and you get the drop Bb tuning
Standard B: B E A D F# B -> drop the thick B string and you get the drop A tuning - best on a baritone from this point on

Please let me know if this makes sense smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 19 2014, 08:26 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 19 2014, 07:48 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif drop A would be A E A D F# B first of all and if you want to place it on a 7 string, it would be A E A D G B E.

You must see the 7 string as a 6 string with an extra thick string that normally comes tuned to B and the 6 string as a guitar that keeps the standard tuning geometry and interval disposition, but lower.

That means from thick to thin:

Standard E: E A D G B E -> drop the thick E string and you get the drop D tuning
Standard D: D G C F A D -> drop the thick D string and you get the drop C tuning
Standard C: C F Bb Eb G C -> drop the thick C string and you get the drop Bb tuning
Standard B: B E A D F# B -> drop the thick B string and you get the drop A tuning - best on a baritone from this point on

Please let me know if this makes sense smile.gif

yep, I see what you mean smile.gif

Do you have your Paul Allander in drop A, if so, what gauge of strings do you use and did you need to get it set up to play at that tuning?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 19 2014, 12:48 PM
Instructor
Hey matey - Well my axes are tuned like this:

Paul Allender - Standard E/ drop D
Tremonti - Drop C/ standard D
Mushok baritone - drop A or Standard B with the thickest string tuned to G

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 19 2014, 06:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 19 2014, 12:48 PM) *

ah! its the Tremonti you have in drop c. What gauge of strings do you have on it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2014, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

I am using

09 - 46 on the Allender
10 - 52 on the Tremonti
12 - 68 on the Mushok

All the sets are Elixir strings - btw, what are you using mate and why? smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 20 2014, 04:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 20 2014, 03:32 PM) *
Hey mate smile.gif

I am using

09 - 46 on the Allender
10 - 52 on the Tremonti
12 - 68 on the Mushok

All the sets are Elixir strings - btw, what are you using mate and why? smile.gif

I just use ernie ball regular ( 10 - 46 ) back in the day I saw that Slash used the same strings on his LPs so thats what I got smile.gif
I know he mainly uses 11s now, I think he may have had the 10s on a couple of vintage guitars. I like them though, Ive got no complaints with them at all smile.gif
I was thinking about keeping one of my guitars at a lower tuning though, after listening to that mastodon album I quite like the tuning they use. I dont know if regular 10's would work at their tuning. The 10 - 52's make sense, I might try those.

This post has been edited by bleez: Sep 20 2014, 04:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 20 2014, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 19 2014, 03:48 PM) *

Is Dropping the low E string pretty easy ? smile.gif Especially on Tremolo equipped and Floyd Roses ? smile.gif Oh, I love Drop C and Standard E tunings. My favorites biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2014, 08:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Sep 20 2014, 04:08 PM) *
Is Dropping the low E string pretty easy ? smile.gif Especially on Tremolo equipped and Floyd Roses ? smile.gif Oh, I love Drop C and Standard E tunings. My favorites biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, the Floyd is the toughest one and that's one of the reasons why I dislike this kind of unit smile.gif Can't downtune at will - that's a big 'no, no' for me. The tremolo equipped guitars such as the Tremonti or the Paul Allender can be downtuned relatively quickly, as they don't need that much tweaking. I bet you have the Floyd on that jackson, right? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 21 2014, 08:47 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 21 2014, 11:24 AM) *
Unfortunately, the Floyd is the toughest one and that's one of the reasons why I dislike this kind of unit smile.gif Can't downtune at will - that's a big 'no, no' for me. The tremolo equipped guitars such as the Tremonti or the Paul Allender can be downtuned relatively quickly, as they don't need that much tweaking. I bet you have the Floyd on that jackson, right? smile.gif

Yes dry.gif That's the only disadvantage. I can't go from Standard to Drop D in an instant. And it messes up the action and intonation. dry.gif Now what ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 21 2014, 07:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Yash @ Sep 21 2014, 08:47 AM) *
Yes dry.gif That's the only disadvantage. I can't go from Standard to Drop D in an instant. And it messes up the action and intonation. dry.gif Now what ?

theres a device you can fit onto a floyd that allows you to drop the e string instantly called the EVH D-Tuna . Other than that I think it is a bit of a hassle.
I drop tuned the ibby I used to have and although I had to undo the locking nut ( obviously! ) it didn't mess up the intonation or action, it was just a bit of a pain in the ass to do.

This post has been edited by bleez: Sep 21 2014, 08:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2014, 08:26 PM
Instructor
Well, you can lock the trem, out of what I know smile.gif There are devices such as this one:

Have you ever heard about it? Watch the video and I am sure you can order one online wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:30 AM