> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Aris's Thread, for Gab's Army
Aris
Mar 10 2015, 04:22 PM
GMC:er
Hi Gabriel,

How are you?

Unfortunately a lot was going on here during the last week so I wasn't able to keep my promise to you and myself in sending recordings regularly.
One of the problems is that I have to play loud for a video recording which is only possible late at night but I feel so tired when it is getting that late in the day. So I usually do some practice and continue with the rest of the routine just before I leave to work.

I also missed some practices because I 'm checking on how to load these .vstpreset files that you have in the above link (using cubase 5) in order to improve my sound. I 'm stuck with it and I have taken it personally since I'm a tech guy.

however no luck until now. I can even load the factory .vstpreset files. I can only load .trackpreset files. I 've already looked in several different locations in my pc where Cubase might read the files from but with no luck. I thought maybe you have come across the same issue in case there is a cure. All i'm trying to do is to use the .vstpreset files (in your link above) with Cubase 5 (Windows7).

If this is not possible perhaps I should consider using Reaper instead.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 10 2015, 05:57 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, this is the routine where I save the presets to be found by the plug ins in Cubase:

Attached Image

If you record your guitar by line you won't have the issues with volume. Let me know if it works!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 11 2015, 04:30 PM
Thanks Gabriel,

Finally!!!! biggrin.gif I 'm very happy now that it seems to work. From your screenshot I realized that I had to create the same structure for LePou plugins to be able to recognize the file. I was just throwing the VSTPRESET file somewhere in VST3 Presets folder. I was also missing the fact that the VSTplugins were also needed to access the preset files. Thanks I had already started to lose hope.

I figured this out at work so I didn't have a chance to listen to the sound result yet but it looks ok now.
I have also attached a screenshot from my setup in cubase just in case you see something wrong in the ordering of the effects ( IR, Tube screamer and Amp) or anything else.
I will also let you know and send you my new sound cool.gif

About my recording problems, I need to have the sound coming out of the speakers so that it is picked up by the video tool and I can compare the two waveforms (from video and cubase) in order to synchronize the two as accurate as possible. Hmm maybe there is a way to send the sound from the speaker out to line in using a cable. This way it will also be present in the video tool. Perhaps this is what you mean but there is also another problem, since the PC and sound recording gear is in the bedroom which means no recording early in the day and the only other place to move my gear is the living room which is not a good place to be at all times.

I will figure it out eventually. It's not enough for stopping me smile.gif

One more thing I wanted to ask you. Is it possible to use the patch for SD style sound in cubase? I see that the extension of the file ".h5e" corresponds to Line 6 POD HD500 Edit Preset File. Do you know of any software I can use to apply this sound using the file you provide in the lesson details?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2015, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris, great decision to share that image here! The order of the plug ins is not correct so it won't sound good. The order should be:

Tube Screamer (pedal) - HyBrit (amp) - KeFlair (cabinet)

It's exactly what we do with real gear. We first connect the guitar to the pedal, then to the amp and the amp is connected to the cabinet. Does it make sense?

About the recording and time issue. You can continue with this way but you don't have to play the backing loud while you record videos. You can play it very low and the camera's mic will capture it. If then, the waveform is to small, you can use a process like maximizer to make it bigger and clearer.

Unfortunately pod's patches cannot be opened with other amp emulators. However, that tone was a Marshall amp with a bit of drive, so you could create it with Hybrit without problems.

Try one of these patches with Hybrit:

Classic Hard Rock
Classic Rock

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 14 2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks a lot Gabriel, yes the setup order makes perfect sense. Somehow I mistook that the IR was some kind of effect pedal but as you said it's the cabinet. I can have different sounds now smile.gif
Attached is how my sound setup looks now in cubase.Please let me know if this time the order is ok.

Below are also my first recordings using the effects. It's not my best performance but I am not consistent anyway so this is the best I could play at that given time.

Rise Against:
I recorded this in slow tempo (60 BPM) using Hybrit modern Hard Rock sound patch.
I had to use a standard size pick this time cause I couldn't find the smaller tear size picks I use and I felt some difficulties in hitting the correct strings. It felt like I had to change the amount of movement on my right hand. I believe it shows a bit in the recording.
Again this was recorded without any physical gear connected between my guitar and my sound card
http://youtu.be/CgjlUAN_4P0

Social distortion style Rhythm routine:
I speed it up a notch from 145BPM to 150BPM. For sure not perfect but let me know if you think I should keep this tempo or go back to 145BPM.
I used the Hybrit hard rock patch for the sound on this one. Again without any physical gear connected between my guitar and my sound card. Maybe I should also have used some pedal to light it up a bit in all the recordings
http://youtu.be/7_5mK2Lu4fo

Alternate picking 150BPM:
This recording has some problems in various parts.
http://youtu.be/vk7VJ41F0xk

The below take is better during the first part before the big pause. After that I totally lost my nerve (I was too tight to keep it consistent overall and should have been loose to do better) so I kinda quit in the end.
Here I also used hybrit hard rock sound patch with light tube screamer(again no pedal was connected).

http://youtu.be/T8Mbki4vvi8 - with emphasis on music
http://youtu.be/KmiJWHvsmDg - This is the same take as above with no emphasis to video or music.
Let me know if you prefer one effect over the other for evaluating recordings.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2015, 06:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris! Great stuff!

The new order of plug ins look good now. Please have in mind that the addition of tube screamer shouldn't be use for every tone since it adds more gain and sustain when it's required. I mostly use it for metal styles and some solos.

Let me share some thoughts about the videos that you recorded.

Rise Against:
This one needs to be polished since it has timing issues in many sections. There are some moments when this issues become more important as it happens on the section starting at 00:40, but this is something to improve in the whole lesson. I recommend you to keep on practicing at this tempo, but working on smaller sections. For example, take the intro, create a loop (you can use reaper for it), and play the part many times until you don't have to think on notes and positions and you can put your focus on timing. Tap with your foot while you play, or follow the groove with your head to also feel the tempo.

Social Distortion:
This one sounds more like "by line". Are you sure that you used the right patch and also the right order of plug ins? Also, what pick up are you using? neck or bridge? This one sounds good on bridge pick up. Your playing is better on this one. I notice that timing is more consistent comparing with the previous lesson in the intro and verse. The palm muting sections (00:28) has some little timing issues so please isolate this section as well as the "chorus" melody that is not totally tight. Starting at 01:27, the short bridge and solo, the timing issues become more important so please also work on this parts.

Alternate picking:
This one should be practiced at a slower tempo to be able to play everything tighter. You surely note the licks that are not sounding clear and tight so you could also isolate the trickier parts to work on them as exercises.

About the guitar tone for AP, I think that this one is the best of the 3 options: https://youtu.be/vk7VJ41F0xk, but you could add a bit of drive from the amp. The one with tube screamer sounds less clear.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 16 2015, 10:04 PM
Hey Gabriel, thanks again for the tips.
I can notice the problems you mention. I will follow the suggested approach for each one.
This breakdown should help a lot in making the most out of my time for practicing. I also wanted to ask you about it but you covered me already

About the sound in SD lesson, the patch setup looks OK. The pick up at the guitar is at the down most position which should be the bridge pick up. I will send you a screen with the setup tomorrow. I will even try to send a new recording just to make sure of it.

This post has been edited by Aris: Mar 16 2015, 10:21 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2015, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris, thanks for the update. I'm glad to know that the comments helped to see the direction of your next steps. Please keep me updated and feel free to share the settings print screen. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 22 2015, 03:50 PM
Hi Gabriel,

This week I mostly practiced two parts from the social distortion lesson. The muted section and the consecutive bends from the solo part to improve my timing.

About this part in the solo, I am now able to play it properly at 190 BPM so it is not quite there yet since the below recording is played at 208BPM. For the muted part I have managed to play it decently at 208BPM most of the times. This does not really show in the below take since it followed after a lengthy practice of the solo part and somehow my right hand felt stiffer. Anyhow, I hope it has less problems than last time.

Regarding the sound, I realized that last time I had reduced the volume level since the waveform seemed to be clipping and this probably created this dry sound like it is by line. This time I left the waveform exactly as it appeared after applying the hard rock classic amp and cabinet. I have also attached an image with the shape of the waveform after applying the patch. Let me know if it should not be square at the top/bottom margin. In the screen the top is the imported backing and below is the guitar with the sound patch.

https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/sdstyle-208bpm-21mar/s-w4NDK

Today I also focused on Rise Against lesson and worked with separate loops all the parts except for the last riff before the outro. The timing should be improved. Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/riseagainst22mar/s-5xUIB

This post has been edited by Aris: Mar 22 2015, 10:34 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2015, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris, thanks for the update.

There is still something weird on your tone and it can be related to the fact that your waveform looks very limited. What tone are you using for this one? IS it one of my presets? And what file are you opening on Kefir? Could you share a print of Kefir opened?

Your playing is good on both lessons, and the main part to focus at this tempo is the solo section on Social Distortion lesson. You are not playing this part with the correct rhythm/timing so you should re-work it to be sure that you are playing the licks at the right moment.

Other than that, the lessons are evolving well, just work on tone and timing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 26 2015, 05:28 PM
Hi Gabriel,

I' m working on your pointers and improvisation. I'm trying to get a decent take on the latter at this time.

For the tone in the social distortion lesson I' m using your preset "Hybrit Classic Hard Rock" and you can also see the attached image with the exact settings. Let me know if you spot something awkward.

This post has been edited by Aris: Mar 26 2015, 05:29 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2015, 12:39 AM
Instructor
Hi Aris, everything looks good there. Let's try something more. Why don't you try using "LeCab" instead of Kefir for the same purpose and with the same impulse sample. I use LeCab, and for any reason I remember that I preferred the sound that I could get with it than with KeFir.

You can download it from this page: http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com.ar/

Could you please do the experiment and share the results here?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 27 2015, 10:48 AM
Sure!

This is how I set it up in my cubase copy at work pc. I 'll do the real test when I get home and share the results.
Hopefully the sound will be much closer to the lesson this time.

Just let me know once more if this is the correct configuration to be tested.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2015, 01:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris, yes, this looks perfect. Let's see what happens.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Apr 14 2015, 12:49 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 27 2015, 12:32 PM) *
Hi Aris, yes, this looks perfect. Let's see what happens.

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your suggestion. The sound now with LeCab looks pretty similar to the lesson and I can enjoy playing the song even more.
I didn't send a sample cause I was hoping to find time for a better take.

The great news is that our daughter (second child) was born two weeks ago and we have a lot going on these first few days with the kids, house adjustments so there is no time to rest or play guitar yet.
The good news around playing the guitar is that finally I setup all my gear in the living room so I hope in a few days it will be much easier for me to practice and record properly without disturbing the family in their sleep:)

This post has been edited by Aris: Apr 14 2015, 12:53 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 16 2015, 03:09 PM
Instructor
All great news! Congrats on your new daughter! smile.gif

It's also great to know that you will be able to practice in a comfortable place where everything is ready to be used in less than 5 minutes. I consider this the secret number 1 to practice more.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Apr 21 2015, 12:38 PM
Thank you Gabriel, I wish you all the best too!

Everything is ready to go. I should be ready to practice within 2 minutes until the PC is booted.
Unfortunately, I haven't put in any serious time yet, since the new baby likes to stay awake at night so she keeps us busy and I am constantly sleepy.
She will settle soon I hope but until then I am going over my major scale and its arpeggios whenever I find a short window or just before I shut down at night. I can't have a proper session yet with metronome and backing involved since when I play I can barely keep my eyes open tongue.gif

I 'm not too worried about it since I will find something out if this state seems to take much longer.
I will be in touch.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 21 2015, 09:58 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris! I'm sure that you are living an unique moment in your life so enjoy it. smile.gif

Let's get back when you feel you're ready.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Apr 27 2015, 04:31 PM
Hi Gabriel,

I was able to play the routine properly during the weekend.
I will try again tonight or the next morning before work and see what happens.

Over the last period that I was not in shape to power everything up and play with backing track support, record etc, I have been practicing my scales and arpeggios.

Now I am up to the point that I can switch from major to major pentatonic and to the arrpeggio for each position (cannot swich between positions quickly without some short calculations in my mind but I guess this will not be much harder). What troubles me a lot is that after leaning these arpeggios, I still can't jam aloe with the backing track.I can go up and down the scale over the backing, but still I cannot see where is the arrpeggio that I should play over each next chord to make it sound musical. I understand which arpeggio should sound nice but its hard to spot everything on the go.I seriously feel like I 'll never get it and I don't know where to start with it.

So I was hopping if you can help me here as well with some guidance or lessons/exercises that will break it down for me starting from infant level. Every advice you have given me has worked pretty well so far and I m really happy about it. I have already started to enjoy my playing smile.gif

I can send you also a video and see exactly what I'm trying to do.

This post has been edited by Aris: Apr 27 2015, 05:54 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 28 2015, 08:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris, I understand what you feel and let me say that it's normal.

Working on phrasing, improvisation and creativity is more difficult than working on technique because the road to master it is less clear. However, if you try to see it as you see your work on alternate picking, maybe you'll be able to visualize the different steps that you should do to take your phrasing and improvisation to a new level.

Let me explain what I mean.

How do we work on alternate picking?

- We start with an easy exercise, with just a few notes, or maybe only one note, and practice it slowly. We usually stay on the same position and practice over slow backings and metronome.
- Once we master it, we work on the next exercise. A bit more demanding, maybe more notes, but still on one string.
- Once we master a few 1 string exercises, we usually learn some licks from our favorite guitarists played with alternate picking on one string. Iron Maiden and Gary Moore come to my mind.
- Then, we start with crossing strings and do the same. Start with easy repetitive ideas, and so...
- We also learn alternate picking licks that cross strings and practice them over backings.

How should we practice phrasing and improvisation? In the same way, starting with very simple stuff... this is an idea:

Working on Pentatonic scales:

- Start just using 3 notes from the pentatonic scale. Create melodies with it over the backing. Try to find all the variations possible. Create phrases that has a call and response sense just using 3 notes.

- Once you are comfortable, add more strings or notes from the scale.

- Then, move to the next scale position and do the same.

- Learn pentatonic licks from your favorite guitarists, and create your own variations.

Working on arpeggios:

- Choose a chord and an arpeggio shape to start. Search for a backing track that stays on that chord and create phrases with the notes.

- As soon as you feel comfortable, start working over a two chords slow backing track. Practice creating melodies using the arpeggios of each chords, always staying on the same part of the neck. Once you master if, move to the next position.

- Learn arpeggio licks and create your own variations.

Combining pentatonics with arpeggios:

- Use the same 2 chords backing than before and do a double work.

1- Play pentatonic scale over the first chord and the arpeggio of the second chord.
2- Now the opposite.

As you can see, this is a long term workout, that could take around 3 months if you work every day. But if you work in this way and slowly increase difficulty, positions, strings, tempo and chords, your improvisation skills will become better.

Listen to minimalist guitarists like BB King, Eric Clapton, and even Slash, see how they can create a fantastic solo with a few notes. Start with a few notes, maybe you won't need the other ones. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:39 PM