> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

132 Pages V  « < 127 128 129 130 131 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2021, 03:58 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

He recommends to work on each hand at a time and try to take it to the tempo required. This really make sense and can be one part of the practice to then get back to sync both hands. The reason that he gives is that the movements required for fast tempos are not the same than the used for slow tempos. So practicing at fast tempo without having to think on synchronizing both hands can be a good (extra) method. Kiko Loureiro also recommends it, and I've personally use this as well.

This is also comparable to the idea of practicing much faster than your comfortable tempo to break your headroom.

There are many tricks, and methods, but there is only one secret: Practice. smile.gif Focusing for a good amount of time every day on it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 27 2021, 10:58 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 27 2021, 02:58 AM) *
There are many tricks, and methods, but there is only one secret: Practice. smile.gif Focusing for a good amount of time every day on it.

Yeah I know, I just thought that there may be something we could work on to supplement just playing through the same piece. I was playing it for an hour a day, over and over but just couldn't get passed 70% speed, the chordal part was the one that was the main hurdle.

As I said, when a collab appears, I love to get stuck into them at the detriment of the lesson I'm working on and I did a lot for the last one, even purchasing and testing a new mic. It's like spinning plates with my time restrictions biggrin.gif

Cheers

Speak soon.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
</div>[color="#000000"][/color

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2021, 03:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 27 2021, 06:58 AM) *
Yeah I know, I just thought that there may be something we could work on to supplement just playing through the same piece. I was playing it for an hour a day, over and over but just couldn't get passed 70% speed, the chordal part was the one that was the main hurdle.

I would really try what he suggests.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 27 2021, 06:42 PM
I'll work on it but please know I'm not putting his advice above yours, just looking for different approaches. It's frustrating when you've played the same thing for an hour a night on loop for a week with no improvements.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 28 2021, 02:07 PM
Instructor
We are always open to new approaches, we are constantly learning here. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 30 2021, 07:29 AM
He recommends to work on each hand at a time and try to take it to the tempo required. This really make sense and can be one part of the practice to then get back to sync both hands.

As my fingers know the whole lesson I'm going to work on getting each bar and the transition between them up to speed. I may be looking at it wrong but I'm struggling to work on each hand individually. Do I just play along with GP using just my left hand and then just my right hand? It feels really strange.

..... there is only one secret: Practice.

I agree 100% but there is another secret, that practise has to be done the right way which I'm still trying to find for me wink.gif

Cheers buddy

Speak soon

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 30 2021, 10:20 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2021, 05:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, the idea is to add to your current increasing tempo practice in small blocks, the method of isolating each hand. Sometimes you'll notice separating your left can be tricky, but at least you can practice a bit holding the shapes.

In this video I show you how I would separate the right hand for some parts of this lesson, how I would work on the right hand (using some pick and legato), and how I work on very small fragments. The idea is to always try to reach the target tempo when isolating in any of these ways.

Then, as, Troy says, the idea is to try to increase the tempo of your slow practice and find a place where both things meet.

Here I'm showing some random examples of what I would work. I'm obviously reaching the high speed quickly because I've already mastered the part but it may take some practice sessions to reach it. But as you will be focusing only on 1 hand, it could be smoother.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Original lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...t-that-shuffle/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 30 2021, 06:16 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 30 2021, 04:37 PM) *
Let me know if this makes sense!

Thanks for doing that video Gab, much appreciated smile.gif

I'd started doing something similar but the way you show me is better. I put a wrap around the strings and just used my right hand. I tried the same with my left hand, it felt very strange but I'll try it for a while. I'll use the video technique for my right hand and the wrap technique for my left unless you suggest different.

Thanks again

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2021, 09:23 PM
Instructor
Cool Phil! I'm not sure if I understand what you'll use for your left hand practice... a wrap? Why? I'm not using a wrap at all. I'm muting with my left hand the strings when practicing with my right, and using legato and shorter parts when practicing my left.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 30 2021, 10:07 PM
I didn't explain it very well. The wrap is just so that I can take my right hand completely off the guitar and work on my left (fretting) hand. I guess I could just put my right hand on the strings to mute them. I did the same for my picking hand, muting with a wrap but your way is better because you can switch to one or both hands.

I'll just use the hand I'm not working on to mute the string from now on smile.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 31 2021, 09:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 1 2021, 09:52 PM
Hello buddy,

Okay, before I get too far into getting up to speed with this lesson, I want you to check out the picking please. I've just noticed that you are doing only downstrokes. If I want to put this into REC should I do that too?

I'm currently just rolling with what my right hand wants to do.

What do you think?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/5B-LgEzzHmU

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2021, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Nice Phil! This sounds really good! I'm using only downstrokes in the new video because I'm emulating my own playing in that vintage lesson.

Honestly, you could play it in both ways. The only difference is that you won't get the type of accentuation that I get in my take. It's not better or worse, it's just different.

In this take there is an extra rotation when you get back to the lower string that is now necessary and that can bring issues when trying to play this faster.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 2 2021, 04:03 PM
Thanks buddy,

I've also noticed that the original lesson is all downstrokes too, I think that if I get it up to speed, I might as well post it in REC and with that in mind, I might as well play downstrokes.

The way I played it seemed the most natural to me and all downstrokes seems harder to play fast, particularly the little descending runs (if that's what they're called) like in bars 4 and 6 but I'll make the switch now. I'd hate to get it to REC and fail the grade because the picking doesn't match the lesson wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2021, 02:36 PM
Instructor
Yes, I got you mate. This can be a good excuse to master downpicking which is a very useful technique for both rhythm and lead guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 3 2021, 10:02 PM
Okay Gab,

I've slowed it down to half speed, in this video I didn't play the chords as I need to work on them at this speed.

Please check for any left and right-hand issues before I get too deep into developing bad habits.

It's amazing how hard it is to switch from how I was picking it to doing all downstrokes laugh.gif

I know there are some mistakes but I need to know more about mechanics please.

I'm trying to get close to your lesson tone, I think I need more mids or maybe a wah pedal set halfway. What do you think? Your tone sounds a little bit "boxy" like a small practice amp, is that correct?

Cheers

Phil

https://youtu.be/BHLhpbZ_GH8

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 4 2021, 02:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

This sounds very well! At this tempo, I don't notice problems with your movements or mechanics. However, based on what Troy said, there maybe a different technique when playing fast, so you should try to practice only with your right hand at a higher tempo too.

There is nothing to fix here, but remember that the technique used for speed picking is not exactly the same than the one used for slow picking/playing.

In other words, I would suggest to make smaller movements when downpicking, but it doesn't make sense at this tempo.

Do you get what I mean?

Your tone sounds great. In my lesson, I'm using the neck pick up. That's why the sound quality is different. I remember using my Marshall Valvestate 8080 for this lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 4 2021, 10:07 PM
Hello Gab,

Here is a video, it's very scruffy ay 80% but please check out the right hand more than anything. I did try practising with just the right hand but it felt extremely weird, especially where there is a hammer on, it's a whole new skill on its own biggrin.gif

This is my first attempt at downstrokes at 80%, I was just trying to push the boundary, this is why it's scruffy but as I said, right hand is the one to watch please. Also what about the tone?

Cheers

https://youtu.be/9TXJ3VqT7-A

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 5 2021, 04:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2021, 03:08 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Is this the right video?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 5 2021, 04:50 PM
Sorry Gab,

That's another lesson with Todd that I'm struggling with due to lingering issues from that injury last year rolleyes.gif

I've corrected it now.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 5 2021, 09:50 PM
Hello Gab,

In case you missed it I corrected that video from yesterday (see above).

Okay, I had an idea, you know I said I was struggling to isolate the picking hand and play without the left hand? mainly where there were hammer ons, it was confusing my right hand. What I did was, in GP I removed the notes that are hammered on and play along with it. It worked like a dream to isolate the picking pattern. Most people probably won't need to do it but it helped me. Here is video of me trying to do what you did in your demonstration video.

https://youtu.be/2QmxC4h0q80

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 6 2021, 05:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

132 Pages V  « < 127 128 129 130 131 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th March 2021 - 02:33 PM