Hello, From England, Just another introductory post
s1m0n
Nov 25 2011, 11:02 AM
GMC:er
Hi, my name is Simon. I live on the Wirral in England (Carcass country).

I've been playing guitar since I was 14 (Nirvana's "Nevermind" is what got me seriously into music, like a lot of people my age, then Metallica's "Black Album" etc). As I'm now racing to towards being 34, I "should" be as good as Steve Vai. But sadly, I'm not. I've had periods in my life without a guitar and no real practice regime.

I currently have an Ibanez "Xiphos" 300FX (I did try the more expensive ones, but this one felt the best), a Line6 X3 Live, and a Ibanez BTB 5 string bass. I have owned more guitars than I can recall, and always struggled to find that "one" guitar. But hopefully that'll change soon, as I'm after a Ibanez RG350 or a bargain RG550.

I mostly listen to metal, but I think I have a pretty open attitude to music. I find there is always good music to be found in any genre.

My influences as a guitarist I guess would be; Dimebag, Zakk Wylde, Jeff Loomis, Jack Owen, Rob Barrett, Dino Cazares & James Hetfield.

I play music for a hobby, as I am a web designer by career. I joined this site as I want to improve my playing as I have hit a wall with it. Hopefully this site and it's teachers (and members) will help me achieve what I want to achieve.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 25 2011, 11:16 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey! My name is Brandon and I'm from the USA. Welcome to GMC. smile.gif I happen to have an Ibanez RG350DX and it is a great guitar, I must say. I like metal too. I like to listen to RED, Demon Hunter, and Skillet. I see you like Jeff Loomis - Have you heard of Paul Wardingham? He's an amazing shred metal guitarist.

Web designer, eh? I majored in Microcomputers, mainly got my basics of computers for my Associates. I learned that I'm gonna learn most of what I need in the field though when I interned with the pros; so I'm not planning on going for a Bachelor's for now. I did take web design (basic) as an elective. It was kinda cool, but definitely hard. You gotta make sure it's all perfect. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay, Simon. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
s1m0n
Nov 25 2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. =]

I really like the Ibanez Wizard neck, so the rg350 seems like a good guitar for the price. Plus the INF pick-ups are really good. I just don't have a guitar with a floyd rose, and would like one. I'm after a black rg350 with a maple fret board. Fingers crossed the eBay gods will be on my side! tongue.gif

I'll check out those bands and artists, I haven't heard of all of them.

Web design is quite hard to teach as everything is always updating, evolving and changing. But it's a challenge to. It keeps me out of trouble.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2011, 01:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Simon, I'm originally from Oxford,

You'll have great fun developing your chops and callouses here!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
dark dude
Nov 25 2011, 02:23 PM
Another Englishman, checking in.

Welcome, Simon smile.gif You say you've hit a wall with your playing - what's the problem area?

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 25 2011, 05:49 PM
Instructor
hey man! welcome to the site! those albums also inspired me to dedicate my life to music. I hope that you enjoy GMC!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
s1m0n
Nov 25 2011, 06:04 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Nov 25 2011, 01:23 PM) *
Welcome, Simon smile.gif You say you've hit a wall with your playing - what's the problem area?

Just not really advancing now. I don't have a proper practice routine. I've tried to practice scales, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with them. I tend to play by ear. But I want to learn more scales, and get to know the fret board properly so I can understand what I am playing.

+Quote Post
Tangomouse
Nov 25 2011, 06:50 PM
I'm too in England, South Yorkshire to be precise, welcome!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 25 2011, 07:22 PM
Instructor
Woah, we've got an English attack today !! laugh.gif

Welcome to GMC Simon. If you've hit a wall I always find that the only way to get out of the rut is following something inspiring.. guitar has to be enjoyable at the end of the day so don't worry too much about learning new scales and perhaps latch onto one thing that's enjoyable, challenging and pushes you a little out of your comfort zone.. but something which is also achievable in a relatively short space of time. If you keep giving yourself interesting, small and achievable goals, you'll actually feel progress more than if you set yourself a big task of learning loads of theory or scales.

Another thing to bear in mind is admit to yourself what you like to play the most and what you are likely to use and what you're not likely to use. If it's metal then perhaps choose one scale like the Phrygian Dominant mode and play around with that. For me, the Phrygian Dominant mode has one main challenge.. try to use it and NOT sound like Yngwie Malmsteen. If you actively avoid the Malmsteen cliches it will help you stumble over something unique to you. If you've got the facility to record audio, set up a riff or just one chord and try out different combinations of intervals from just that one scale. smile.gif

+Quote Post
s1m0n
Nov 25 2011, 07:55 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 25 2011, 06:22 PM) *
Woah, we've got an English attack today !! laugh.gif

Welcome to GMC Simon. If you've hit a wall I always find that the only way to get out of the rut is following something inspiring.. guitar has to be enjoyable at the end of the day so don't worry too much about learning new scales and perhaps latch onto one thing that's enjoyable, challenging and pushes you a little out of your comfort zone.. but something which is also achievable in a relatively short space of time. If you keep giving yourself interesting, small and achievable goals, you'll actually feel progress more than if you set yourself a big task of learning loads of theory or scales.

Another thing to bear in mind is admit to yourself what you like to play the most and what you are likely to use and what you're not likely to use. If it's metal then perhaps choose one scale like the Phrygian Dominant mode and play around with that. For me, the Phrygian Dominant mode has one main challenge.. try to use it and NOT sound like Yngwie Malmsteen. If you actively avoid the Malmsteen cliches it will help you stumble over something unique to you. If you've got the facility to record audio, set up a riff or just one chord and try out different combinations of intervals from just that one scale. smile.gif

I can't say I have ever really listened to Yngwie. So I won't be "unleashing the fury" anytime soon. Shred music isn't really my thing at all. Aside from Jeff Loomis's solo album.

I do have a small studio set up, and I have started making my own backing tracks. Usually a riff based around 3 or 4 chord changes, and soloing over it. But usually I just do what sounds right, I think I'd like to be able to know why it sounds right or apply some scales to it. Pentatonic scales seemed to be mentioned a lot when it comes to playing metal, which is what I tend to play most if I am honest.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 25 2011, 08:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (s1m0n @ Nov 25 2011, 06:55 PM) *
I do have a small studio set up, and I have started making my own backing tracks. Usually a riff based around 3 or 4 chord changes, and soloing over it. But usually I just do what sounds right, I think I'd like to be able to know why it sounds right or apply some scales to it. Pentatonic scales seemed to be mentioned a lot when it comes to playing metal, which is what I tend to play most if I am honest.

Cool. A lot of the time, a chord progression will relate to just one scale, so you can just use one scale to solo over it. This is because the chords are all made up of notes that are found within that scale. So if you look at any scale and intervals you can figure out what postion it would be in the chord, like a 5th or 7th.

For example, pretend that you've got a progression of Em, C and D.. the Em scale has 7 note degrees.. you can start from the E and count them 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc as you play through the scale.

The Em scale would also work over that whole progression, so if you started playing the scale but from the starting from the C note instead, you can play the Em scale but count the intervals from C as 1,2,3 etc. This way you can relate them to the C chord and know why they sound good over that chord. C would be the 1st, D would be the 2nd, E the 3rd, F# the 4th, G the 5th, A the 6th, B the 7th and then the octave of C again. In reality, you would call this a different mode - C Lydian.. but I just think of it as Em still. It's probably cheating but it works for me wink.gif

So take the note of B.. in the chord of E and the Em scale it would be the 5th. Applied over the C chord it becomes the 7th of C.

I hope that all makes sense ? I've probably confused the issue.. maybe one of the other instructors can help clarify what I'm trying to say !!?? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Nov 25 2011, 08:37 PM
hi Simon, welcome!

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
s1m0n
Nov 25 2011, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 25 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Cool. A lot of the time, a chord progression will relate to just one scale, so you can just use one scale to solo over it. This is because the chords are all made up of notes that are found within that scale. So if you look at any scale and intervals you can figure out what postion it would be in the chord, like a 5th or 7th.

That does make sense. I just need to figure out what scales work with what chord progression I am using, and remembering it all. But it's a solid jump off point.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 25 2011, 09:56 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Simon ! I hope that your staying here will be very fruitful biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 26 2011, 06:17 PM
Instructor
Hey man, welcome aboard smile.gif What are you working at the moment?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
s1m0n
Nov 26 2011, 08:51 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 26 2011, 05:17 PM) *
Hey man, welcome aboard smile.gif What are you working at the moment?

I'm working on a website for up and coming metal band Deliver Us From Evil (they have a cool Pantera/Lamb of God vibe) and a metal band from Australia 4Arm (which I'm not that familiar with to be honest).

I tend to work with a lot of bands and musicians, as I didn't think I could cut it in a band. So I went down another route, and started working with a variety of bands (including; Type O Negative, Dimmu Borgir, Slipknot, Roadrunner Records, Mnemic, Exodus to name a few).

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 28 2011, 05:26 PM
Instructor
Wow biggrin.gif Holy Donuts! you have quite a portfolio there mate! First thing, welcome to the GMC family! smile.gif I am a Dimebag and Wylde enthusiast myself!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:19 PM