2 Pages V  < 1 2  
John Pizzarelli - I Got Rhythm, Solo at slow speed
lcsdds
May 15 2009, 04:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 15 2009, 04:17 PM) *
Its not only for guitar players, its for all musicians that develop their ear. You simply start to enjoy more things in music not just ones that are on surface. Music like Britney Spears makes is for billions of people with predesignated formula. Most of the songs are same, have same arranging tricks, catchy chorus , very diatonic and repetitive etc
That doesn't hold my attention, I need to hear Coltrane Parker Brecker and these other guys take me to Jazz land smile.gif

Totally agree Pedja......You like fine wine and champagne. Most people like cheap beer and soda pop.....or just don't know any better. laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 15 2009, 04:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ May 15 2009, 05:21 PM) *
I can enjoy anything that has quality. I can't say that John Pizzarelli is not a good player. I like his playing because it does catch my attention and I guess that's because he is good. Of course there are better ones but saying that he is not good because his solo was bluesy over some good jazz progression is not my oppinion. Bluesy solo over jazz chords can be quite attractive as well.

There is different categories of good.
He is not Birelli Lagrene good nor Pat Martino good , not to mention Pat Metheny, John Scofield Mike Stern good...

So this is what I was talking about in the first place.
Its just different categories for different type of ear.
I can also listen to blues riffing over jazz but not all the way trough the solo. That shows weakness and I loose interest in that kind of soloing. Its very restricted, boring and predictable in my opinion.
I believe that every jazz musician will tell you that this kind of soloing (using one scale over non diatonic set of chord changes) is jiving.

But I want go into your taste Emir. It is perfectly okay to like one sort of music over the other. I am just trying to tell you that this sort of playing is faking for me, and real thing is something much richer that pleases my ears.

QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 15 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Totally agree Pedja......You like fine wine and champagne. Most people like cheap beer and soda pop.....or just don't know any better. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Actually I don't drink wine nor champagne but I definitely get your analogy laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 15 2009, 08:32 PM
Instructor
Wow, quite a discussion!

I agree with Emir in this opportunity, I think theory or anything that you know is not important when you listen to music. If it's like that someone would have to listen to one player that's the best and that's all.
Also when I listen to Pizzarelli I love to hear those catchy solos that he plays and sings because it's not about making things complex (I bet he can though) but just making some groovy melody. If I didn't think that I may loose perspective on what to hear. I think that kind of thoughts leads to say that The Beatles were dumb in comparison with some songs of the present and of course that's not even close to the truth. What I want to say that complexity don't bring us close to the beauty, sometimes is just the opposite. And I think that's very important to take care because I've listened to many people that claim that complex music is better just for the sake of being complex, I bet is not what Pedja said but I wanted to bring this to the conversation.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 16 2009, 12:03 AM
Instructor
I pretty much enjoyed everything posted here.
Those are pretty much different approaches
plus it's kind a pointless to judge
someone's playing on just one or few clips, even dozen, doesn't matter.
All those guys are well shaped musicians and not some instant pop stars,
who are we to judge them after all. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 16 2009, 12:58 AM
Instructor
I didn't mean to cause any WOW responses but just stating my opinion on given matter.
Trying to explain what my ear likes and prefers. I am not judging any of these players just saying what my ear appreciates more and why.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 16 2009, 01:25 AM
Jazz Instructor
I like this guy!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 16 2009, 01:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 16 2009, 01:58 AM) *
I didn't mean to cause any WOW responses but just stating my opinion on given matter.
Trying to explain what my ear likes and prefers. I am not judging any of these players just saying what my ear appreciates more and why.

So what about B.B.King? sad.gif ......... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 16 2009, 01:49 AM
Instructor
uh getting hot here smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
sigma7
May 16 2009, 02:02 AM
GMC:er
i like it, its catchy, getting it on rhapsody .... now

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
May 16 2009, 02:06 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Awesome discussion guys! smile.gif It's great to read your "individual" thought's and taste's. Like true professional's, you keep it real and civil. biggrin.gif ...Please, continue on.. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 16 2009, 12:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wow, this guy is amazing ! Very Broadway-sounding song ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 16 2009, 12:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ May 16 2009, 02:49 AM) *
uh getting hot here smile.gif

Perhaps because of you bro? laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 16 2009, 12:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 16 2009, 12:33 PM) *
Perhaps because of you bro? laugh.gif

smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 16 2009, 07:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I liked clips posted...Never saw them before! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jose Lassaga
May 16 2009, 07:47 PM
Instructor
Easy guys. There are no wrong answers in this subject. Just need to relax and enjoy this fantastic guitarist and one of his many techniques. And learn from him. We should enjoy the different styles that each guitarist offer us. They are all great!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:22 PM