Dynamics
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 26 2011, 08:33 PM
GMC:er
hey guys, my band is covering this song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiQoq-wqZxg, but it sound so "lacking of that" .....empty.
how can we improve that, ps: we only have one bass, guitar, drums.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 26 2011, 10:30 PM
Instructor
Don't be shy, give's a demo, and we'll see what's wrong! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 26 2011, 11:31 PM
Instructor
Don't be afraid to change the song a bit. It seems it sounds a bit empty by default, so you could fill that space up with more reverb on the vocals, more cymbals (drummer should play 16th notes all the time, half open), and possibly a bit more busy guitar line. Try it like that, and insert some backings and it will be a-OK smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 27 2011, 06:20 AM
Ugh sorry, horrible song choice, at least do it more like Unwritten Law's cover:

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2011, 03:34 AM
Instructor
I agree with Ivan. My band is also guitar, bass and drums. The three most obvious solutions are more cymbals, delay or any other similar effect for the guitar and overdrive for the bass. One, two or all these things could solve the problem. You have to try and record the rehearsal if it's possible.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 29 2011, 04:12 AM
ty guys i will try

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 31 2011, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! biggrin.gif I would start in the following way - what sort of direction and sound would this cover have? For instance, check out my approach on Phil Collins' 'Another day in paradise'

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rearranging-A-Cover/

I took the song to a totally different dimension of sound and style, to make it suit my desire.

This is the original:

I'll try to make a small list with the modifications I came up with:

- Atmospheric intro, which I came up with continued with the adaptation of the main theme in the same manner of creating atmosphere

- Further development of the main theme - from single note lines to a combo of power chords and intervals

- Verse part - combo between tight palm muted metal riffing, short melodic phrase endings and a dancehall groove

- Chorus - Wide power chords (so I can double the main vocals with my backing without having too much to worry about the guitar)

- Bridge - Another little combination between power chords and intervals

These are the things I did to adapt the song to what I thought the final picture would be, so, try to imagine what you would want from the song you're trying to cover and take it in that direction! Keep the chord progressions and alter them as little as possible, but enough to make a change towards your desired direction smile.gif Hope this is helpful man!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:13 AM