Have Subwoofers?, Please test this track
thefireball
Jul 7 2016, 05:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys!

Those of you that have a subwoofer, I would value your opinion on the mix at the beginning. My studio monitors don't respond to ~20hz, however, my Sennheiser headphones do - barely. I just need more ears to listen to make sure the beginning of the track showcases the rumble well enough without getting in the way of the rest of the mix. My goal is for it to be there in the background so you can "feel" it. smile.gif I realize it's MP3, but that's actually a good thing because I want to be sure it comes across in translation.

There is also a bass drop as the rest of the band kicks in. And one more bass drop as the guitar solo starts at 3:53.

This is the instrumental version of my band's opening track on our album that is dropping October 4, 2016. My drummer is the one playing drums, and all other stuff is recorded/programmed by me. My vocalist is coming over in about a week to record some vocals on the album. Also, I will be slightly quantizing (just a little editing) the drums to make them a little more precise on the beat. wink.gif

Hopefully we will have some titles soon. Putting some finishing touches on some tracks - and I have the entire album in one big project so I can get a consistent mix across the album instantaneously.
cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Intro_Song__new_mix_.mp3 ( 11.83MB ) Number of downloads: 174

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 7 2016, 08:49 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Yeah, I can feel it. But the frequency of that part is crazy low smile.gif. Realistically, a typical listener will just hear a descending bass that disappears smile.gif.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2016, 02:05 AM
GMC:er
Very true smile.gif It's cool but maybe do it where there is a "double drop" with one being low but not inaudible. Otherwise, for most folks, it will just disapear. You could layer one that works with ear buds.

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 7 2016, 03:49 PM) *
Yeah, I can feel it. But the frequency of that part is crazy low smile.gif. Realistically, a typical listener will just hear a descending bass that disappears smile.gif.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 8 2016, 08:24 PM
Learning Roadie
True. Thanks. I was noticing the same thing in my car. What do you mean by double drop Todd? Perhaps for that part I should opt for an octave higher of frequency because F0 is apparently way too low. Perhaps I should work with F1.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2016, 04:50 AM
Just layering in another track really that won't vanish for folks without a sub smile.gif You can put the really low one in there, just latyer another one on top of it if possible, that doesn't go as low. Test it with ear buds to make sure smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 8 2016, 03:24 PM) *
True. Thanks. I was noticing the same thing in my car. What do you mean by double drop Todd? Perhaps for that part I should opt for an octave higher of frequency because F0 is apparently way too low. Perhaps I should work with F1.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2016, 04:41 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I don't have subwoofer here but a good pair of Dynaudio monitors and I can say that your mix sounds really good, very balanced here. The bass frequencies sound clear and present.

The only comment regarding sound is that I feel that distorted guitars don't really explode when the riff starts with drums. I think that the guitars are lacking some definition/power in this part. The feel is close to what I've heard in bands like Intervals or Polyphia, however I think that your guitar in those riff need to sound clearer to have the same impact. Experimenting with EQ balance and volume is the key. (maybe some compression too)

The composition is also really interesting. It is a very good track to start an album, I like the vibe.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 16 2016, 07:23 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys,

I updated the mix. Guitars are more present. Been fiddling with it over the past week. Also re-recorded the bass guitar. Made it more interesting - this goes for all of the songs across the album. smile.gif

I might bring up the guitar solo some more - but we are releasing the album in two stages - first will be instrumental.

This post has been edited by thefireball: Jul 16 2016, 07:24 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  01_Intro_Song.mp3 ( 11.9MB ) Number of downloads: 41

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2016, 05:13 PM
Did I mention the "High Pass Filter" trick? JIC, find the lowest frequency your speakers can handle. It should be easy to find either on the speaker or on the web. Say it's range is 60hz to 18khz. At that point you know that your speakers can't reproduce much below 60hz. One way to make sure you don't go in to "overbass" is to, apply a High Pass Filter to the main buss, the output channel/bus that is. Then set the filter to slope down at the point of your lowest notes, around 60hz. That way you are mixing in stuff that you can actually hear. If you don't you are guessing on the bits you can't hear, the bits your speakers can't reproduce. It result in spotty mixes. Some songs may seem to have crazy bass on certain playback systems with subs. Once you get a sub, you can mix down to say 35 hz. AT that point, I'd set the high pass filter around 35hz. Cutting off the deeeep bass at 20hz-34hz that most people can't even hear. Also it will remove most of the mud you are fighting pretty quickly smile.gif

As far as your more recent mix it's quite good and balanced IMHO. Even without a sub, you are still mixing well smile.gif When I play it with a sub I don't get suprise BOOOOM sounds as I often due with many tracks I hear and get sent to listen to.

Todd

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 16 2016, 02:23 AM) *
Hey guys,

I updated the mix. Guitars are more present. Been fiddling with it over the past week. Also re-recorded the bass guitar. Made it more interesting - this goes for all of the songs across the album. smile.gif

I might bring up the guitar solo some more - but we are releasing the album in two stages - first will be instrumental.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 20 2016, 03:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 19 2016, 10:13 AM) *
Did I mention the "High Pass Filter" trick? JIC, find the lowest frequency your speakers can handle. It should be easy to find either on the speaker or on the web. Say it's range is 60hz to 18khz. At that point you know that your speakers can't reproduce much below 60hz. One way to make sure you don't go in to "overbass" is to, apply a High Pass Filter to the main buss, the output channel/bus that is. Then set the filter to slope down at the point of your lowest notes, around 60hz. That way you are mixing in stuff that you can actually hear. If you don't you are guessing on the bits you can't hear, the bits your speakers can't reproduce. It result in spotty mixes. Some songs may seem to have crazy bass on certain playback systems with subs. Once you get a sub, you can mix down to say 35 hz. AT that point, I'd set the high pass filter around 35hz. Cutting off the deeeep bass at 20hz-34hz that most people can't even hear. Also it will remove most of the mud you are fighting pretty quickly smile.gif

As far as your more recent mix it's quite good and balanced IMHO. Even without a sub, you are still mixing well smile.gif When I play it with a sub I don't get suprise BOOOOM sounds as I often due with many tracks I hear and get sent to listen to.

Todd

Cool! That's great to hear! yeah, i try to make a practice of cutting the lows out where not needed so everything can sit well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:50 AM