15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
How Have You Improved In The Last Week?
JVM
Jul 9 2007, 01:23 AM
Learning Roadie
Legato continues to improve noticeably, string skipping is getting better (along with my alternate picking) and now you probably won't believe this but I used to always rest my hand on the E-A-D strings out of a terrible habit, now I've made the switch to resting on the bridge and it's helping my picking. It wasn't so much that that was bad for my picking, but it was muting those three strings a lot of the time unless I picked my hand up (which I did, I haven't been playing for this long with those 3 muted tongue.gif). So, thats the third bad habit GMC has helped me kick. (the others being thumb wrapping and downpicking). Woohoo!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 9 2007, 02:55 AM
GMC:er
Ive noticed my sweeping has improved to a much more comfortable level without putting too much serious practice into it. My alternate pick speed picking is connecting a lot fast wih my left hand. I now the Dorian mode much better this week as well, and im seeing the usual improvement in connecting the boxes with the pentatonic minor scale as it is my most used scale.

I think by next week I want to get some new songs learned...

Steve Vai- For the Love of God
Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven Solo
Led Zeppeln- Moby Dick
Metallica- for whom the bell tolls
Megadeth-Hangar 18

Definitely not gonna finishem all, but gonna give it a try...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 9 2007, 04:37 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 7 2007, 09:03 AM) *
Sweeping is not something you cam learn like Pentatonic scale. Sweeping is a very complex technique and it takes years to make it comfortable enough to use in soloing and regular playing so don't get discouraged. Just practice it at least 1 hour each day and you'll get there!

Good advice Pavel

QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 8 2007, 09:55 PM) *
Ive noticed my sweeping has improved to a much more comfortable level without putting too much serious practice into it. My alternate pick speed picking is connecting a lot fast wih my left hand. I now the Dorian mode much better this week as well, and im seeing the usual improvement in connecting the boxes with the pentatonic minor scale as it is my most used scale.

I think by next week I want to get some new songs learned...

Steve Vai- For the Love of God
Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven Solo
Led Zeppeln- Moby Dick
Metallica- for whom the bell tolls
Megadeth-Hangar 18

Definitely not gonna finishem all, but gonna give it a try...

For whom the bell tolls is a pretty easy one to learn.Hanger 18 though is very difficult.I think it has the most solo's in a single song with like 11 but man if you learn this one it will improve your playing 100%

Best of luck

I have been going back in the old lessons and practicing some.Kristofer's lesson on slow bends is short but i got it down.I think that it is a good lesson to practice to help with doing bends acuratly and staying in staying in time with background music.I cant wait till Marcus's next video comes out,that is what im waiting to work on.Out of all the insructer's he is the one that plays what i am most into picking up.I have also been working on trills in my solo's and muting strings to keep excess noise out of my leads

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 7 2007, 08:15 AM) *
I have trouble with sweeps too - of all the techniques out there, they are the hardest for me - I thinkits because you need a huge amnount of practoce to make a small amount of progress, and you need hours a day to improve (I don't have that much time because I work). I'll keep trying though, and who knows, in a couple of years I might be sweeping smile.gif
Good to know - the more theory students we have the better!
This is a great topic - I'm going to make it a sticky so we don't forget about it!

I'm suprised you have trouble with sweeps.Just cause the fact you know so much about theory and how much work it takes to learn that stuff.It's like learning a new language to me,ofcourse it can be done it's just difficult.I think if we all put 1 hour and dedicate it to learning sweeps we can all get it down in time as Pavel posted.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 9 2007, 04:46 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think Helloweens "Halloween" has about 14 or 15 solos in it, and any given dragonforce tune might have up to 10,000,000 solos.

Hangar 18 is indeed a difficult song, the trade offs between Marty and Dave are insane!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 9 2007, 05:01 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 8 2007, 11:37 PM) *
I'm suprised you have trouble with sweeps.Just cause the fact you know so much about theory and how much work it takes to learn that stuff.It's like learning a new language to me,ofcourse it can be done it's just difficult.I think if we all put 1 hour and dedicate it to learning sweeps we can all get it down in time as Pavel posted.

Yep, practice makes perfect, we'll keep plugging away !

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
No Payne No Gain
Jul 9 2007, 05:59 AM
I've a few months ago I felt like I was in a huge rut because all I would do would attempt to improve my speed and try techniques like sweeping, but thats no fun when theres people over because it's not fun to know a bunch of songs and techniques that I can't play well. So for the past week or so I've been tryin to play alot of rhythm stuff by learning all of the metallica riffs and anything else that is heavy but of course sounds good to me and also making a riffs up on my own, while trying to keep timing. After I've spent a month or two learning bends, and trying to improve on alot of difficult things it's cool how easy these riffs that I couldn't get right before really sound good now. I can actually hear what I'm playing now and can notice if I'm on time and if it sounds good. It's such a good idea to get a good arsenal of songs together that you can JAM to. It's pulled me out of what felt like rut and made playing fun again.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 10 2007, 01:20 AM
edited because i changed my mind. or i should say, experience has taught me to view things somewhat differently.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 18 2007, 07:30 AM

+Quote Post
kethcup
Jul 10 2007, 03:58 AM
[quote name='The Uncreator' date='Jul 8 2007, 09:46 PM' post='41663'] I think Helloweens "Halloween" has about 14 or 15 solos in it, and any given dragonforce tune might have up to 10,000,000 solos.

haha Helloween! I forgot all about that band man. Halloween the song is a classic! smile.gif

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 10 2007, 04:16 AM
I've been working on Pavel's Alt. picking exercises and I noticed a huge speed increase after my vacation. I can't wait till tomorrow to continue the practice.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Anastasio123
Jul 10 2007, 07:58 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 9 2007, 08:20 PM) *
Same here. very similar experiences. i find myself often doing short repetitive things (maybe 12 notes) that I play for over an hour non stop. I focus on perfect accenting and rhythm, and smooth transitions. Often go after things in small pieces. Tremolo picking (maybe 2 or 4 picks per fret) can help also in trying to increase speed. But that feeling of relaxed hands, wrists, and arms, and really entire body is there when things are going right.

as Pavel has said, sweeps take time to perfect, and get speed. It seems like you get more dexterous fingers over time, they move quickly on the sweeps, and that just takes time. But that feeling of relaxed hands wrists and arms is a major part of that also when things go right, that has been my experience. I like now to do maybe 4 sweeps, one time each, and cycle though them, trying to do the transitions so smooth that there does not seem a break, and keeping the rhythms and accents perfect. I need to slow down sometimes to get that, and then I try to speed up, still maintaining the quality. But I see no merit is playing faster than one can while maintaining quality, that is my opinion. Quality first, and speed as much as you can, but not to sacrifice quality for speed.

For me agreat guitarist is one that plays fast but also plays accurately. You know your watching a well-trained guitarist when their shredding sounds controlled, relaxed, flawless, and matured. Just watch a dragonforce live performance, whenever Herman Li stumbles a bit and loses his fluency, the mistakes in his shredding make his flashy playing weightless, and if your not Herman li when that happens, you might be in some trouble.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Jul 10 2007, 08:22 AM
QUOTE (Anastasio123 @ Jul 10 2007, 01:58 AM) *
For me agreat guitarist is one that plays fast but also plays accurately. You know your watching a well-trained guitarist when their shredding sounds controlled, relaxed, flawless, and matured. Just watch a dragonforce live performance, whenever Herman Li stumbles a bit and loses his fluency, the mistakes in his shredding make his flashy playing weightless, and if your not Herman li when that happens, you might be in some trouble.

well for me I think i have gone one huge step for man kind in 2 weeks.........just jumping around lesson to lesson.......I need a lot of work on alternate picking with speed but im getting there .....The legato is pretty much a breeze and feels natural......I think thats due to the fact i have been playing super heavy gauge acoustic strings for the past 4 years.....I joined 2 weeks ago just to see how things would go and......im learning alot......I have never been a solo player just been a string pounder with the whipping hair lol.........I even posted my first solo i have ever done on the guitar uploads .... so with any luck i will be able to get this solo thing down lol

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 10 2007, 08:37 AM
hmmm

I def. need to work on the skills, but I haven't been playing guitar for very long. I'll get there eventually.

I learned the Back the Future version of Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode smile.gif

"All right guys this is a blues riff in B. Watch me for the changes and try to keep up."

classic.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 10 2007, 01:31 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pantalaimon @ Jul 10 2007, 03:37 AM) *
hmmm

I def. need to work on the skills, but I haven't been playing guitar for very long. I'll get there eventually.

I learned the Back the Future version of Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode smile.gif

"All right guys this is a blues riff in B. Watch me for the changes and try to keep up."

classic.

laugh.gif laugh.gif I learned that one a few years ago as well, just in case I ever went back in time and had to save my very existence by playing guitar smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tank
Jul 11 2007, 03:49 PM
GMC Veteran
I don't know about the last week, but I can definately see improvements.

I've been asked to play a couple of gigs with a local band (which may turn into a more permanent thing, if I enjoy it). They do the classic covers, mainly songs that I really should know already, but have never got around to learning.

So in the last ten days, I've learned, (from start to finish)
Sweet Home Alabama.
Walk This Way.
Two Princes.
Are You Gonna Go My Way.
Sweet Child Of Mine.

I will be gigging the above list (and others) in a few weeks. I've got to say that 12 months ago, I'd certainly not have been able to tackle and learn these (certainly the solos) in such a short space of time. I've got to say that Pavel and Gabriels early lessons on alt picking have substantially brought my playing on. And it's quite nice to get onto the GMC, (when I have time) and working through one of the new lessons. There's a great range of stuff to choose from, (which means that you can develop a wide style of playing!) smile.gif

/T

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 13 2007, 05:44 AM
Learning Roadie
My fingerpicking is really improving thanks to muris' acoustic lesson smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 13 2007, 06:00 AM
I have got an hour of time put into Pavel's new sweep lesson today.I've kept working on video 2-3 and getting it down right,then go to the next videos and get it all down.I have also practiced so speed picking to improve my solo's.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Speedeh
Jul 13 2007, 09:49 PM
I've been improving with speed and accuracy, and I've actually started using a metronome more regularly. I don't stay with one pattern for a while as that really got boring, and I feel that it's more beneficial to practice all kinds of shapes and finger patterns to a metronome. If I get brave, I even change types of notes on the fly (triplets to eighths and back again, for example) I'm also getting pretty good at doing this while skipping strings. Just today I started doing this with major scales, and it actually sounds quite musical, albeit very primitive

I'm still working on keeping strings muted because sometimes I'll be so focused on the metronome, I'll forget that my E string is ringing like a crack dealer's cellphone ;D

+Quote Post
Thomas
Jul 16 2007, 05:46 PM
In the past 4 days I can already see that just learning and playing and practicing from this site, I'm starting to build up some speed in my playing, and I think im playing cleaner. My Les Paul seems to be sounding better even! Im not even close to where i am aiming, but I can tell that I am really gonna love this site!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 16 2007, 06:47 PM
I guess its not a single technique that im noticing improvement in, but i decieded today to open some old given up guitar pro files (songs i couldn't play) I have three folders now for guitar pro smile.gif can play.. need to play, can't play. I went back into my can't play file and managed to learn Super Collosol by Joe Satriani, Dirge For Novemeber by Opeth and the Intro to fall to Peieces by Firewind... Does anyone elce measure improvement by the new things they can play? I think its a great idea just because playing songs is a great way to practice techniques that other artists are using rather than going over lessions which sound like cool riffs but never something you can jam to with your band smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Travelin' Man
Jul 17 2007, 08:09 PM
I know this wont mean too much to most of you guys, but only being here less than a week, and with alot of practice, I now know the minor pentatonic scale enough to even have put it to a practice song, using G5 and F5 as base chords. I have learned the scale up and down the board, and I feel like a million bucks. Ive also been adding some hammers and pull offs, along with vibratos and slides. Now if I could only find an imagination

This post has been edited by Travelin' Man: Jul 18 2007, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:25 PM