2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Am I Doing It Right?
Im here to succe...
Jul 3 2015, 07:05 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys, i've been practising this reverse lick (don't know what to call it), and i've attached a recording of myself playing it through a clean amp, and to the maximum speed that i can play it. Can you tell me, as it gets faster, is that how it's supposed to sound?
And how can i get it to go faster?

Thanks

Attached File  Reverse_Lick.wav ( 3.33MB ) Number of downloads: 150

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2015, 08:54 PM
Can you post your clip to soundcloud? That way we can make little notations on the clip itself and it doesn't require a download of the clip. I'm on my tablet right now so attachments make things wonky sad.gif Soundcloud is free and every musician can benefit from having a soundcloud account wink.gif

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 3 2015, 02:05 PM) *
Hi guys, i've been practising this reverse lick (don't know what to call it), and i've attached a recording of myself playing it through a clean amp, and to the maximum speed that i can play it. Can you tell me, as it gets faster, is that how it's supposed to sound?

Thanks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 3 2015, 10:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 3 2015, 08:05 PM) *
Can you tell me, as it gets faster, is that how it's supposed to sound?

What do you mean by this, I'm not sure I fully understand the question could you provide more details?

I have listened to the clip and I think that you should practice this kind of lick along with a metronome. Currently it sounds like there might be some sync issues between picking and fretting hand which might be preventing you from playing this lick cleaner and smoother. Notice how some notes are louder and cleaner while some feel muted, quiet and with some additional noise in the tone? This is what I'm referring to as sync, picking and fretting hand need to work in harmony and picking should only happen when the note is fully fretted. If you first pick and then fret down the note fully, it will not get sounded or sound weak/muted or with a bit of added noise.

I know that it is a boring suggestion, but try playing really slow and focus on the making each movement spot on and economic. Practicing on a really slow tempo can make a huge difference when bumping up the BPM. If you skip tempos even though you can't play clean on them, then you'll in the end be practicing sloppy playing. As you go faster, it can be harder to hear/notice mistakes by yourself while playing.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2015, 10:18 PM
Great tips!! ALso, any chance of doing a quick video? Any video will do, cell phone, web cam, etc. If we can see your fingers we can really get a good idea of what to suggest smile.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 3 2015, 05:03 PM) *
What do you mean by this, I'm not sure I fully understand the question could you provide more details?

I have listened to the clip and I think that you should practice this kind of lick along with a metronome. Currently it sounds like there might be some sync issues between picking and fretting hand which might be preventing you from playing this lick cleaner and smoother. Notice how some notes are louder and cleaner while some feel muted, quiet and with some additional noise in the tone? This is what I'm referring to as sync, picking and fretting hand need to work in harmony and picking should only happen when the note is fully fretted. If you first pick and then fret down the note fully, it will not get sounded or sound weak/muted or with a bit of added noise.

I know that it is a boring suggestion, but try playing really slow and focus on the making each movement spot on and economic. Practicing on a really slow tempo can make a huge difference when bumping up the BPM. If you skip tempos even though you can't play clean on them, then you'll in the end be practicing sloppy playing. As you go faster, it can be harder to hear/notice mistakes by yourself while playing.

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jul 3 2015, 10:29 PM
That's what i meant, as i go faster, are there any issues, but clearly there are, with the sync between my fretting hand and picking hand, I also noticed that.
But i was playing slower and picking each note clearly for a while earlier, but when i speed up, the same thing happens.

Maybe i can upload a vid tomorrow too.

Edit.... How do i upload a video? do i have to put it on youtube? or can i just post it on here?

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Jul 3 2015, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jul 3 2015, 11:00 PM
YOUTUBE LINK

Here's a link ^^^^^^

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 4 2015, 01:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
I too would suggest to practice really slowly with a metronome or drum machine. The latter is more fun! Make sure you play clean very slowly, that your synchronization between your hands is spot on and then move up the tempo. smile.gif It does sound like there are some synch issues.

Ben (Higgins) has some great hand synch lessons that you could maybe try:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch-II/

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 4 2015, 09:28 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks for sharing Succeed, the track you provided showcases the problem well. You master the lick/technique pretty well at slower speeds, but when you push it we can start hearing obvious flaws.

The tips given here are spot on. And here is my way of looking at it:

Every single little mistake you do at slow speeds, will be "amplified" at higher speeds. So there is absolutely no point in moving on to a higher bpm, unless you can play the lick as flawless as you wish 9/10 times.

From hearing your clip - I would guess your "flawless rate" might be around 5/10 times at slow speeds. So this means that when you move on to higher speeds, the rate will decrease and when it gets really fast, mistakes will be completely dominating.

I practice this kind of stuff only at slow speeds with the metronome (I probably wouldn't practice faster than your slowest bpm), and then when I want to try the licks out "for real" I do it over a backing track, playing music. This has a lot of advantages (probably too many to list here!) - but the most important one for this topic, is that the mistakes I do will be musical.

The later might sound weird, but it's logic when you think about it. If you practice technique stuff over music, your hands and brain will opt for what sounds good (even it's not perfect - nothing ever is).

When practicing with the metronome you loose all that stuff, so that's why I only do it at slower speeds to make sure my hands are physically capable of executing whatever I am trying to do - relaxed and without mistakes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jul 4 2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your feedback Kristofer, I've changed my picking technique today & focused on losing all tension in my wrist,arm and shoulder, and i feel a lot faster with more control.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2015, 12:49 AM
Todd here smile.gif After listening to the clip, and it sounds like you may be trying play a bit ahead of yourself. When you play it slow, it's working well. But you seem to skip above your current level of ability and start missing notes just a bit when you speed up.
The hardest part of learning to play fast is developing the patience to play slowly and deliberately increasing by very small amounts. Try to start with a metronome to find a comfortable speed that you can play cleanly at. Then add just one or two BPM (Beats per minute) and keep going until that is clean.

The only way to really get good at playing "fast" is to get good at playing at each speed starting from "slow. I fear you may be skipping the middle part where you work up bit by bit. I realize it's tempting to skip to the end smile.gif But the best way to get there is to earn it by working through the middle.

Does this make sense? smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 3 2015, 02:05 PM) *

Thanks

The best way to use video is

1.)UPLAOD TO YOUTUBE
2.)CLICK ON "INSERT SPECIAL ITEM" in the upper left when making a post and select "INSERT YOUTUBE".
3.)PASTE IN THE YOUTUBE URL (you only need the last part of the url) For example if the url is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xffMUkG-gq4
then you just paste in the last part or "xffMUkG-gq4"

let me know if you need help smile.gif

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 3 2015, 05:29 PM) *
That's what i meant, as i go faster, are there any issues, but clearly there are, with the sync between my fretting hand and picking hand, I also noticed that.
But i was playing slower and picking each note clearly for a while earlier, but when i speed up, the same thing happens.

Maybe i can upload a vid tomorrow too.

Edit.... How do i upload a video? do i have to put it on youtube? or can i just post it on here?

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jul 5 2015, 09:06 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 5 2015, 12:49 AM) *
Does this make sense? smile.gif

Todd

Yep, thanks mate. Snails pace it is! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 5 2015, 02:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 5 2015, 10:06 AM) *

Found this short article, which is on point as well smile.gif

Improve Muscle Memory With These 8 Easy Tips

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 5 2015, 02:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2015, 08:46 PM
It's important to progress in speed and precision, but also important not to try to skip the parts in the middle wink.gif you'll get there! Just take your time doing it along the way smile.gif

Don't forget to try to post that video as well smile.gif I"m sure we can offer some help after seeing you play! smile.gif

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 5 2015, 04:06 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 5 2015, 08:48 PM

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jul 5 2015, 10:35 PM
Great article caleum!

And i posted the link above a few days ago todd smile.gif

Here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G37BVZE-OUk

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 6 2015, 12:43 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! You've received really valuable feedback here. Practicing slowly, with metronome, focusing on making our movements the smaller possible is the way to go. It's also very important to practice EVERY DAY to see results, and be patient.

About your technique, I would suggest a little tweak in your way to hold the pick. I recommend to use the tip of the thumb to hold it like this:

Attached Image

It allows a more precise technique than this one:

Attached Image

This little change, combined with trying to keep your left hand fingers the closer are the two things that you should pay attention regarding your technique besides all the previous comments and suggestions received.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jul 6 2015, 09:17 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 6 2015, 12:43 AM) *
Hi mate! You've received really valuable feedback here. Practicing slowly, with metronome, focusing on making our movements the smaller possible is the way to go. It's also very important to practice EVERY DAY to see results, and be patient.

About your technique, I would suggest a little tweak in your way to hold the pick. I recommend to use the tip of the thumb to hold it like this:

Attached Image

It allows a more precise technique than this one:

Attached Image

This little change, combined with trying to keep your left hand fingers the closer are the two things that you should pay attention regarding your technique besides all the previous comments and suggestions received.

Keep on the hard work!

Very interesting tip gabriel, i will definitely practise with that today.

Out of curiosity, why does your version have more control? you'd think the pick that's further down the thumb would have more control?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 6 2015, 03:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 6 2015, 05:17 AM) *
Very interesting tip gabriel, i will definitely practise with that today.

Out of curiosity, why does your version have more control? you'd think the pick that's further down the thumb would have more control?

It can be compared to drawing. We have more precision when the hold the pencil with the tips of our fingers, and closer to the point, like this:

Attached Image

Take a pencil and try holding it like you are holding your pick and you'll notice that you'll lost precision. This affects your alternate picking, but it will make difficult to manage other elements like dynamics, harmonics and arpeggios.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
hickstir
Jul 6 2015, 04:30 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 5 2015, 01:02 PM) *
Found this short article, which is on point as well smile.gif

Improve Muscle Memory With These 8 Easy Tips

Thanks for the reminder!! I'm probably doing a lot of damage going faster than my abilities.

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jul 6 2015, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 6 2015, 03:55 PM) *
It can be compared to drawing. We have more precision when the hold the pencil with the tips of our fingers, and closer to the point, like this:

Attached Image

Take a pencil and try holding it like you are holding your pick and you'll notice that you'll lost precision. This affects your alternate picking, but it will make difficult to manage other elements like dynamics, harmonics and arpeggios.

Wow, very interesting. I've been trying it out today, but the pick keeps slowly slipping towards it's natural position.

Am i to just keep focusing on keeping it in that position, until i'm used to it?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 7 2015, 02:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (hickstir @ Jul 6 2015, 05:30 PM) *
Thanks for the reminder!! I'm probably doing a lot of damage going faster than my abilities.

No problem, Hickstir smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:19 AM