4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Death Magnetic Is Out What Do You Think
opeth.db
Sep 15 2008, 05:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think its geat that htis kind of discussions are done with a band as great as Metallica once was. I think we are all holding onto something that may get great again.

Kinda like the Cleveland Browns.

Its apparent all of us loved the Metallica Gods at one point.

But I agree with Jer. The CD is ok. Just not as great as it used to be.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 16 2008, 04:59 PM
The Dark Canuck
I bought Death Magnetic last night on iTunes. (which I find kinda ironic just due to the whole digital downloading saga with Napster. I know iTunes is a legal site and I paid for it and all but it still amuses me a bit.) Anyways I must say I kind of like it. It's not the Metallica I grew up listening to back in the 80's but I'm not holding that against them. The 80's were 20 odd yrs ago and well the band has changed a lot since then, but I did see glimmers of their former hay days. The riffs are catchy, and I think pretty solid. Also James is pretty solid vocally I think. I've only had a few listens however I believe they put out a good album, not all will like it and that's fine, but for me it has earned a rotation on my iPod.

rok

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
steiner666
Sep 19 2008, 08:56 PM
GMC:er
My personal opinion is that the album is utter garbage in comparison to SO many other metal bands that are out their trying to make a name for themselves. Bands who are working hard to make a name for themselves and putting out good music, not just sitting back and releasing garbage and cashing in on royalties.

The lyrics and vocals are just horrible and the guitar-work is so... uninspired. Metallica is the band that made me want to play guitar (Master of Puppets to be specific) but I want nothing to do with any of the music they've created this century. Sure, it's better than Saint Anger, but that doesn't say anything.

The part that really surprised me was how bad the production/sound of the album was, and apparently I'm not the only one who's noticed: http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

just my opinion tho...

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Iron King
Sep 20 2008, 04:09 AM
In today's music scene Metallica aren't leading the charge. They're being passed by the likes of Lamb of God, Trivium, Shadows Fall and others

I agree with the the first part of that statement, but not the second. First off, I have a hard time seeing how any metal band will surpass Metallica. People will be listening to Ride the Lightning and Master long after Trivium and Shadows Fall are forgotten. Also, Metallica is at a different stage in their life than the bands you mentioned. They've done the thrash, hell Metallica is the king of thrash.

I firmly believe that if they wanted to write another Kill em All they could, but they have matured and are trying new things and playing what they like.

Personally I think the songs are great. This suffers from the same thing that Load and Reload suffer from, and that is the fact that they were made by Metallica. These are all great albums but people don't like them because they cannot compare to their earlier works. If another band released Reload, they would be very respected, same with this album.

Now that I think of, I'm glad they didn't go all out thrash. Thrash is a young man's genre. Sure Testament released a good album this year but it is absolutely blown away by the new thrash bands... which were inspired by Metallica

anyway, just some quick comments:

- I like The Day that Never Comes, but it's basically Fade to Black. They both start off with a simple arpegio while a melodic solo is played on top, they both have the soft-heavy-soft-heavy format, and they both end with a long ass solo.

- As much as I like the songs, the production is garbage. The sound quality is atrocious, and not in that good raw metal band way

-Lars did an extremely poor job. No originality in his drumming. It was just Bass-Snare-Bass-Snare at different tempos and I don't remember a single fill he did

- The riff in Broken, Beat and Scarred is outstanding (the one at ~1:00)
- The bass in Cyanide is crushing (good to see Robert step into his role)
- Judas Kiss has a great chorus
- James is oustanding, HE IS Metallica
- My fav song is That Was Just Your Life

also, I can tell these songs will sound great live

I rank this album right after the Black Album

1) Kill em All
2) Ride the Lightning
3) Master of Puppets
4)... And Justice for All
5) Black Album
6) Death Magnetic
7) Reload
8) Load
9) St. Anger (the only truly bad album on the list)

+Quote Post
deWeLL
Sep 20 2008, 12:19 PM
I definitely like the album and I refuse to classify music and compare different bands/songs/albums.

Damn, this is music, it's art ... you can't say there's anything wrong because it's the way the band wants to play it!

You just don't look at a model magazineand say "Hey, the girl on this photo looks hotter than Mona Lisa, Da Vinci sucks!"

I agree in most points with Iron King ... especially the propulsive Cyanide and the terrific riff in BB&S make me hear and practice this songs whenever and wherever I can.

+Quote Post
Rooks
Sep 20 2008, 12:41 PM
I think some of the tracks are nice.
This is not Metallicas finest, but without comparing too much many of the tracks are worth listening to.
Unforgiven III is a nice track but does not live up to the legacy of I and II...

Musical technique is good, but the feeling is not completely there.. I miss the real anger and sorrow in James' voice that gave you a cold chill down your spine..

I do think "The day that never comes" is the best track on the album .. I don't care if it sounds a bit like one.. they are allowed to it's their track anyway.. And the video is even about the same subject just more actual. I like it. War sucks Metallica rocks.
For my final judgement I'd like to see Death Magnetic performed live. biggrin.gif

just my 2 cents. Rooks

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
steiner666
Sep 22 2008, 08:36 PM
QUOTE (Iron King @ Sep 19 2008, 11:09 PM) *
- I like The Day that Never Comes, but it's basically Fade to Black. They both start off with a simple arpegio while a melodic solo is played on top, they both have the soft-heavy-soft-heavy format, and they both end with a long ass solo.

- As much as I like the songs, the production is garbage. The sound quality is atrocious, and not in that good raw metal band way

-Lars did an extremely poor job. No originality in his drumming. It was just Bass-Snare-Bass-Snare at different tempos and I don't remember a single fill he did

Agreed, 100% on these. When I saw the video I said to my friend, "Wow, Metallica's trying hard to bring back the mellowness of Fade to Black mixed with the soldier/war theme of 'One'... without the memorable melodies and solos of either"

I just don't think that the members of metallica are creative musicians anymore, Over the past almost 20 years it's been like... if they're not ripping off trendy bands to sell more albums then they're writing parodies of their older work that actually WAS creative and fresh at the time hoping to revive them as new material. When I said I wanted them to return to the Lightning-Puppets-Justice era, I didn't mean I wanted to revisit those riffs and ideas so specifically and literally.

And Lars is the most untalented drummer I can ever remember hearing on a professionally-produced album (which DM supposedly is). I often wonder how much of the stale dullness to the bands songs could be fixed with a more energetic and creative man behind the kit... I think it could lead to some much more interesting and fresher riffs.

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 22 2008, 10:21 PM
Well I bought the Album and I am actually really pleased with it biggrin.gif
Sure its not like Black and Master of the Puppets, but It does bring me back to those feelings I got when I listened to songs off that album.

I really like "The Day That Never Comes" , "All Nightmare Long", and "Broken Beat and Scarred"

I think everyone is taking things a step too far saying things like " Oh Its Awful " , "Terrible" .

Nothing is every going to be the same as it used to be. You cant dwell on hoping that Metallica will somehow go back to what they were and have every album be as good as their old ones. Thats just stupid thinking. I think Metallica gave it their all on this one, put together 10 good tracks, and made what I believe is a pretty good album.

Now im going to stop talking, and just enjoy the music cool.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
J.T.
Sep 23 2008, 08:41 PM
I like the new album too... can't really say why!? but I keep on playing it for days now... Really like The Day That Never Comes!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jjt5150
my curent equipment:
PRS CE 24 guitar
H&K Switchblade head
H&K 4x12 WARP Cabinet
Morley Wah - Mark Tremonti model
+ Line6 POD XT

+Quote Post
Sondre
Sep 23 2008, 09:41 PM
In my opinion:

1. Master of Puppets
1. Ride The lightning (Can't decide beetween those two. sad.gif )
3. Death Magnetic
4. Kill Em All
5. ... And Justice For All
6. Black Album
7. St. Anger
8. Load
9. ReLoad

_MY_ opinion. smile.gif

Edit: The fact that I can't decide is a good thing though! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Sondre: Sep 23 2008, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
enforcer
Sep 24 2008, 03:18 PM
this album -I dont know why- gave me a ride the lightning'ish impression... and I must say that I HATED the work done by the recording engineer, the mix sucks... and I wonder where the hell has gone metallica's good old hi-fi drum sound.

Vocals were hidden under a shroud of noise made by the horrible snare drum and lame cymball eq, and clean guitar sound was a mess...

All and all I had the impression of a better than fair album (considering the work made since black album) wasted by some mixing technician and poor producing capabilities...

Considering metallica's succes is (at least half of it) made of trade mark hi-fi sound I wonder what is metallica up to...

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Sep 24 2008, 03:50 PM
QUOTE (enforcer @ Sep 24 2008, 10:18 AM) *
this album -I dont know why- gave me a ride the lightning'ish impression... and I must say that I HATED the work done by the recording engineer, the mix sucks... and I wonder where the hell has gone metallica's good old hi-fi drum sound.

Vocals were hidden under a shroud of noise made by the horrible snare drum and lame cymball eq, and clean guitar sound was a mess...

All and all I had the impression of a better than fair album (considering the work made since black album) wasted by some mixing technician and poor producing capabilities...

Considering metallica's succes is (at least half of it) made of trade mark hi-fi sound I wonder what is metallica up to...

according to rick rubin (and Metallica themselves) metallica insisted on recording this album incredibly loud, thus there was nothing the mixing tech could do to help, and so it sounds like crap. although, the crap part carries over into the instrumentation and vocals too. can kirk hammet get ANY worse as a guitar player? and if james has to use auto tune on his crappy vocals, he should just stop signing. this album is NOT thrash metal, it St Anger with bad solos. (of course, st anger won a grammy, so theres no accounting for taste. dry.gif )

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
enforcer
Sep 24 2008, 04:37 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Sep 24 2008, 05:50 PM) *
according to rick rubin (and Metallica themselves) metallica insisted on recording this album incredibly loud, thus there was nothing the mixing tech could do to help, and so it sounds like crap. although, the crap part carries over into the instrumentation and vocals too. can kirk hammet get ANY worse as a guitar player? and if james has to use auto tune on his crappy vocals, he should just stop signing. this album is NOT thrash metal, it St Anger with bad solos. (of course, st anger won a grammy, so theres no accounting for taste. dry.gif )

so this is actually metallica that sounds so bad after all biggrin.gif
I wont spend a word about kirk hammet as mr satriani said enough about him: "worst of my students" how any guitarist can live (and in public space) with this kind of shame is a mystery to me biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by enforcer: Sep 24 2008, 04:38 PM

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 24 2008, 06:06 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I listened to it maybe 4 or 5 times now, and well... it is much better than anything since load in my opinion, but all in all a bit boring wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
enforcer
Sep 25 2008, 03:07 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 24 2008, 08:06 PM) *
I listened to it maybe 4 or 5 times now, and well... it is much better than anything since load in my opinion, but all in all a bit boring wink.gif

not quite as enjoyable as BG I think wink.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
Ognjen Protic
Sep 29 2008, 05:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 24 2008, 07:06 PM) *

I agree...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 29 2008, 07:11 PM
At least they didn't release St. Anger II, even though I have to say that Idon't really find this "Justice for all II" much more creative. The album just sounds too constructed for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shifted-Paradigm
Sep 30 2008, 05:38 AM
I still haven't listened to it, and honestly...don't have any intention to do so. tongue.gif
Meatlicka died the day Cliff died, or at least...the band's ability to write music.

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Sep 30 2008, 06:41 AM
Say what you will, I think the album is fantastic... Not just coming from a Metallica fanboy but I really don't see a lot of reasons how someone could not enjoy it. To each their own tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 30 2008, 10:53 AM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Sep 30 2008, 07:41 AM) *
To each their own tongue.gif

Words of wisdom smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:00 PM