Sweeping & Legato Lesson, with a little Christmas Surprise for you :)
Tolek
Dec 16 2008, 10:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
----------------
Introduction
----------------

Hey folks,
my name is Anatol Maximilian Konior. That´s a bit long, so just shorten it and call me Tolek. smile.gif
I am 17 years old and I live in Luxembourg. I`ve been playing classical guitar for 7 years and electric guitar for 3 years now. I mainly spend my days with practising, I still can´t stop. smile.gif
I hope you will like my first lesson.

=============================
Structure:
  1. About the Lesson
  2. The Lesson
  3. Harmonic Analysis of this Lesson
  4. Last Words

=============================

-----------------------
About the Lesson
-----------------------

Sweeping is a very difficult technique and a lot of lessons show the use of it in an extremely fast way. Personally, I became a bit frustrated when seeing not only the instructors but also the great guys of the guitar world sweeping like crazy. That´s why I decided to do a pretty slow lesson on sweeping. When I finsished a long lick, I started to play some legato and I asked myself: 'Why not some legato in that lesson?' So, the second part consists of long legato runs in order to develop your left hand strength. In my opinion, legato is a good manner to play really cool stuff plus it makes your left hand feel really comfortable on the fretboard.
I suppose that you know the sweeping basics. If not, check out this fantastic lesson.
Tempo is 75 bpm. This exercice starts in D Major and ends in C# Major.
Well, let´s start.

---------------
The Lesson
---------------

================================================================================

d d d d d u u u u u d d d d d u u u u u
|-----------2-5s9p5------------------7-10s12p9-------------|
|*--------3---------7--------------8----------10----------*|
|-------2-------------6----------7---------------9---------|
|-----4-----------------7------9-------------------11------|
|*--5---------------------9-10------------------------12--*|
|----------------------------------------------------------|
d= downstroke
u= upstroke

These are basic 5-string-sweeps over D Major, F# minor, G Major and A Major chords which gives us a nice intro and defines the D Major scale. Talking about rhythm, the notes are all 16th-triplets.
================================================================================

|--------------9-12s14p10-------------------------10-14s12p9--------------|
|-----------10------------12-------------------12------------10-----------|
|---------9------------------11-------------11------------------9---------|
|------11-----------------------12-------12-----------------------11------|
|---12-----------------------------14-14-----------------------------12---|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d= downstroke
u= upstroke

Here we repeat the same shape as in the first bar. We start with an A Major chord (V degree of D Major scale) which is followed by a B minor chord (VI degree of D Major scale). This succession of degrees is called Deceptive Cadence because it gives a musical surprise. The listener supposes that the V degree goes back to the I, but in that case, a completely new dimension/atmosphere is created.
All notes are 16-triplets, again.

|--------------9-12s10p7-------------------7-10s9p6-----------|
|-----------10-----------8---------------8----------7---------|
|---------9----------------7-----------7--------------6-------|
|------11--------------------9-------9------------------8-----|
|---12-------------------------10-10----------------------9---|
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
d= downstroke
u= upstroke

This bar starts with an A Major triad, too. On the 2nd beat, we have a G Major chord followed by a F# Major chord on the 4th beat. Guess what rhythm we have. wink.gif

d d d d d u u u u u d d d u u d u d u d u
|-----------6-9s14p10----------10-17p12----------12---19-17-15------------|
|---------7-----------12----12----------14----14---------------19-17-15---|
|-------6----------------11----------------14-----------------------------|
|-----8-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---9---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
d= downstroke
u= upstroke

We continue with the F# Major Arpeggio, this time the melody goes up. After a slide to the 14th fret, we sweep only over 3 strings, first over the B minor chord and then over the A Major chord. We end this bar with a descending lick which goes stepwise from B to D as we want to reach C#. Rhythmically we stay the same.
(SAME VIDEO AS FOR THE PREVIOUS EXAMPLE BECAUSE I MESSED UP A BIT... I FORGOT TO DO TWO DIFFERENT VIDEOS, SORRY)

u u u d u d
|------------------------|
|---14-------------------|
|------13----------------|
|---------15-18----------|
|---------------16s4-4---|
|------------------------|
d= downstroke
u= upstroke

Hurray! Another rhythms are waiting for us. The measure consists of 4 16th notes, one 8th note with a dot, a 16th note and a half note. This bar is used to modulate in a proper way (by using a simple C# Major triad) into C# Major which is a half step lower than D Major.

d d d
|-------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------8p5h6h8p6p5h6---|
|---------------8p4h6h8p6p4-----------------|
|---8p4h6h8p6p4-----------------------------|
d= downstroke
u= upstroke

A completely new atmosphere is created in this 2nd part due to the modulation. Also, we don´t sweep anymore - the technique used here is the well-known legato. Pick the first note on every string to accentuate the on-the-beat-notes. There are 16th-triplets again. This scale is used.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------
|---8p5h6h8p6p5-h10p6h8h10p8p6-h11p8h10h11p10p8-h13p10h11h13p11p10---|---h15p11h13h15p13p11-h17p13h15h17p15p13-h18---

This lick is very simple. We use a pattern over the whole C# Major scale on one single string. Pay attention to the correct switching of position. Rhythm is again the same: 16th-triplets except from the last note which a quarter note. This scale is used.

-----------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|--------
-----------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|--------
---18p15h17h18p17p15---|---h17p13h15h17p15p13-h15p11h13h15p13p11-h13p10h11h13p11p10-h11p8h10h11p10p8---|---s6---

Nearly the same lick as in the previous lick is used here, we just return to low C#. Again pay attention to the correct switching of position. Same rhythm: 16th-triplets and a last quarter note. This scale is used.

u u u d u d u d
-------------|----------------|
---6---------|----------------|
-----6---6---|---4------------|
-------8-----|-----6-4--5p4---|
d= downstroke
u= upstroke

I think that this very popular song ending would be perfect here. This is my little present to you all for Christmas. smile.gif You can use economy picking or just alternate picking. I prefer the first. You wonder why I decided to end very anormally. I thought of reminding the listener of the previous part, so I played a D grace note before the C#. This time the rhythm is a bit complexer: 3 quarter triplets, 1 quarter, 1 16th followed by a 8th with a dot, a half and finally a quarter note that is linked with a whole note in the next bar.

------------------------------------------
Analysis of this Lesson
------------------------------------------

This lesson is divided into two big parts:
  • 1st Part: Sweeping, D Major
  • 2nd Part: Legato, C# Major

In the first part, we concentrate on sweep picking. I tried to use only one shape in order to get that one down. One exception is the A Major 3-strings-sweep. The first few bars are in D Major. On the last beat of measure 4, we borrow the leading note of the parallel tonality which is a A#, the augmented VII degree of B minor. Measure 6 modulates into C# Major and leads us to the second part.

The second part builds up our legato skills. Pick as little as possible, if not, your left hand will work less and develop less. Harmonically speaking, we modulate a 2nd min down to C#. There are no out-notes except from the last grace note which reminds of the previous key.

-------------------
Last Words
-------------------

I hope you enjoyed my first lesson on GMC. I worked for the last two days on it and it was pretty much work. I learnt a lot about recording, 'Exploring Guitar' and Sweeping&Legato of course. smile.gif
Some hints for practising: make sure that you understood the basics of Sweep Picking and Legato; practise with a metronome; record yourself so that you can see your progress. If you want, you can show me a video of your take and I´ll comment it.
Thank you for watching my videos and reading the descriptions. If you are unsure about anything, feel free to ask me. I am keen to help you. I can´t sleep well if I know that you have troubles, so please let me really know about your progress with this lesson.

Backing track: Attached File  Sweep_Picking___Legato_Lesson.mid ( 14bytes ) Number of downloads: 280

GuitarProFile: Attached File  Sweep_Picking___Legato_Lesson.gp5 ( 7.41K ) Number of downloads: 288

Cheers,
Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tolek: Dec 17 2008, 11:56 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 17 2008, 11:33 AM
Instructor
Great 1st lesson Tolek!
You choose two very important techniques and you did a good job man. I look forward to more of your lessons in the future.
I hope you can sleep well now - no problems with this one smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 17 2008, 11:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 17 2008, 11:33 AM) *
Great 1st lesson Tolek!
You choose two very important techniques and you did a good job man. I look forward to more of your lessons in the future.
I hope you can sleep well now - no problems with this one smile.gif

Hey Pedja, I´m glad you like it. smile.gif

If somebody has any questions at all, he should ask me immediately. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 17 2008, 11:56 AM
GMC Founder
Very cool SI lesson - thanks Tolek!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 17 2008, 11:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
I forgot to add my prepared GP-File and the backing track.

I just did it. smile.gif

@Kris
Cool that you like it. smile.gif I hope my future lessons will be helpful.

This post has been edited by Tolek: Dec 17 2008, 11:57 AM

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Dec 17 2008, 04:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very nice lesson Tolek , and perfectly presented you did an awesome work.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 17 2008, 05:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Awesome lesson here Tolek, thanks!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 17 2008, 05:41 PM
GMC:er
Very good lesson Tolek, it actually made me think about seriously preparing a SI lesson myself biggrin.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 17 2008, 05:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks a lot for your kind replies, guys. smile.gif It makes me feel that my work was useful.

QUOTE (enforcer @ Dec 17 2008, 05:41 PM) *
Very good lesson Tolek, it actually made me think about seriously preparing a SI lesson myself biggrin.gif

Yes, why not. smile.gif Every input is cool.
Prepare well and take your time. It´s a lot of work to do. If you need any help, just ask me. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 17 2008, 10:17 PM
Instructor
wow, great lesson TOlek mate, lots of useful info here! smile.gif Well done!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 17 2008, 10:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
I´m glad you like my lesson, Ivan. smile.gif
I hope I won´t disappoint you with my next lesson over your backing track. Thanks again for your permission. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 19 2008, 07:58 PM
Instructor
No problem mate, anytime smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Dec 25 2008, 10:35 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
Great lesson man, legato and sweeping are great techniques ...
Keep those lesson coming wink.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 25 2008, 10:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jad Diab @ Dec 25 2008, 10:35 PM) *
Great lesson man, legato and sweeping are great techniques ...
Keep those lesson coming wink.gif

Thanks, Jad. smile.gif You´ll see a next lesson soon.

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 10 2010, 07:35 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just added this one to the knowledge base smile.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...egato_SI_Lesson

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:38 AM