What Are Maj9 Arpeggios, Learn How to Build Maj9 Arpeggios
The Professor
Apr 10 2013, 11:19 AM
Theory Instructor
How To Build Maj9 Arpeggios

In today’s music theory lesson we’ll be looking at how to build Maj9 arpeggios from both a chord and scale approach to this cool-sounding melodic device.

The first approach that you can use to build Maj9 arpeggios is to take a Maj7 chord, and simply add in a 9th on top of those four notes.

If you need a refresher on Maj7 Arpeggios, check out the How to Build Maj7 Arpeggios lesson in the GMC Forum.

Here is how this approach looks on paper. Notice that the first bar contains the Root, 3rd, 5th and 7th of a Cmaj7 chord. Then, in the second bar, you simply add one more note, the 9th, to produce a Cmaj9 Arpeggio, Root-3rd-5th-7th-9th.

Attached Image

The second approach you can use to build a Maj9 Arpeggio is to look at the Major Scale, then just pull out the first, third, fifth, seventh and ninth notes of that scale and you have a Maj9 Arpeggio.

Here is how that looks on paper. Notice that the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th notes of the scale produce the five notes needed to build the Maj9 Arpeggio, CMaj9 in this case.

Attached Image

Test Your Theory Knowledge!

Now that you have learned how to build Maj9 Arpeggios, try writing out a number of them in the comments section below to get some practice with these shapes.

If you write out some, or all, of the different Maj9 Arpeggios I’ll be happy to look over your work and make sure you’re on the right track.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:41 AM