What Are Some Good Ways To Practice With A Friend And Improve Together ?
leonard478
Sep 2 2013, 05:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
So we have been jamming and doing sight reading duets thus far , any other ways would be helpful !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jouve
Sep 2 2013, 05:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Recording songs that's damn fun and effective smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Sep 2 2013, 06:15 PM
Theory Instructor
One exercise I like is Follow the Leader, where one guy plays 2-3 notes, then the other guy plays those notes back, without looking, then plays 3 more. You continue and add notes until you get to 10 or more. Fun duo exercise!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
korblitz
Sep 2 2013, 06:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (The Professor @ Sep 2 2013, 05:15 PM) *
One exercise I like is Follow the Leader, where one guy plays 2-3 notes, then the other guy plays those notes back, without looking, then plays 3 more. You continue and add notes until you get to 10 or more. Fun duo exercise!

Really interesting idea. It sort of like Simon says type of game. I guess "creative" people will shine at this game.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2013, 07:18 PM
Instructor
It's very motivating to practice with a friend. Some ideas that come to mind are: Playing songs that has 2 guitars, composing songs & practising improvisation exercises. It's also cool to record the jamming sessions since you could be creating good music than you can share or maybe work more and record an album.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
The Professor
Sep 2 2013, 08:10 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Sep 2 2013, 06:19 PM) *
Really interesting idea. It sort of like Simon says type of game. I guess "creative" people will shine at this game.

For sure, and you can start in a key, or from one scale or arpeggio and then work on multiple keys etc.

Another fun game to play is to have one person play random chords and the other person has to solo over them by ear, then you switch around. Very good for ear training and to work on soloing chops at the same time!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2013, 08:56 AM
Instructor
Taking things to the next level - one of you sings a line and the other tries to imitate it with the guitar tongue.gif I can show you an example in a video or even better - the one playing the guitar, can come up with an interval based melody in order to harmonize the line that the other just sung - will show this in the vid as well wink.gif Stay tuned!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2013, 04:25 PM
Instructor
Hey buddy smile.gif Here we go:

+Quote Post
leonard478
Sep 5 2013, 07:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
thanks everyone!, but cosmin thank you SO much you are incredible and inspiring, and im really looking forward to trying out your advice, a million thanks!

quote name='Cosmin Lupu' date='Sep 3 2013, 03:25 PM' post='656636']
Hey buddy smile.gif Here we go:

[/quote]

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2013, 07:12 AM
Instructor
Wow biggrin.gif Hey man, glad to know I could help - don't make me blush at such an early hour tongue.gif Let us know how things are progressing, ok?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 5 2013, 01:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
I remember me and my friend back in the day used to practice arpeggios and other stuff together harmonized. E.g. one playing an Am arpeggio and the other a C or F major arpeggio. Add in 7ths, 9ths or whatever you like. Or it could be other lines, picked or legato etc. It's probably some of the same Cosmin mentioned.

You could also make a deal that you each come up with 5 licks for every time you meet and teach them to the other one.

Or get a backing track, get your equipment set up and play 32 bars each (or whatever fits the track!) and switch back or forth.

Here are some other videos that might inspire you:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2013, 08:45 AM
Instructor
Great thoughts Ben - especially that one with the harmonization which is pretty much my idea as well, I only thought it in terms of melodic lines. The more you practice seeing things on the vertical - harmonizing lines and especially, being able to harmonize a line you play with one you sing, will not only build up a great ear but it will also develop your orchestration abilities smile.gif It's all a matter of exploring!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 8 2013, 01:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2013, 09:45 AM) *
Great thoughts Ben - especially that one with the harmonization which is pretty much my idea as well, I only thought it in terms of melodic lines. The more you practice seeing things on the vertical - harmonizing lines and especially, being able to harmonize a line you play with one you sing, will not only build up a great ear but it will also develop your orchestration abilities smile.gif It's all a matter of exploring!

Also, I think practicing call and response can be a very 2 player thing to do. Improves your ear and improves your improvisational skills.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2013, 11:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 8 2013, 12:25 PM) *
Also, I think practicing call and response can be a very 2 player thing to do. Improves your ear and improves your improvisational skills.

And for starting out - you can set up some parameters, which will improve both players smile.gif Only use the pentatonic scale, or another scale for instance. And then, you could throw surprise scales at each other - The element of surprise is always a great manner of learning to be aware of your musical environment wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:54 PM