Speed Picking
redsoxfan92490
Jun 28 2006, 12:18 AM
GMC:er
If anyone could help me with this technique.

When Kris does it in the Hammet and Curious Coincedence lesson ( i think the Slash one too) it sounds awsome cause he builds it up to nice bend.

Ive been using a metronome and picking at the 16 beat thing at about 100 tempo. But I cant get much faster than that. When i try to go faster, i start to fumble around the G and B strings (using the minor Pentatonic's). Are they're excersises or different ways to help me pick faster, or should i keep going about it this way.

Speed picking seems to be an awsome technique to use in improvisation one you have it down. Ive been able to use all the licks from Hot Blues and most of the Hammet ones except the speed picking in my improvisation.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ColinMurphy
Jun 28 2006, 03:11 AM
I would recommend doing both 3nps and 2nps scalar runs. Don't worry about getting faster, work on being dead on accurate. Slowly increase the speed each time you master a new level. Check out "Motto Ops" in the masterclass, there is some serious speed picking there. 100bpm is actually quite good, just remember to keep a stead pace and don't get too tense while playing. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 29 2006, 08:56 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (redsoxfan92490)
If anyone could help me with this technique.

When Kris does it in the Hammet and Curious Coincedence lesson ( i think the Slash one too) it sounds awsome cause he builds it up to nice bend.

Ive been using a metronome and picking at the 16 beat thing at about 100 tempo. But I cant get much faster than that. When i try to go faster, i start to fumble around the G and B strings (using the minor Pentatonic's). Are they're excersises or different ways to help me pick faster, or should i keep going about it this way.

Speed picking seems to be an awsome technique to use in improvisation one you have it down. Ive been able to use all the licks from Hot Blues and most of the Hammet ones except the speed picking in my improvisation.

Speed picking is a whole chapter, and to me it's the absolute hardest technique to master properly on the guitar. I still am struggling with it. For now, I can only say give it alot of time and patience...

+Quote Post
lezenko
Jul 2 2006, 10:08 PM
I agree with kris. when i first started i was mainly a blues player..... mastered gary moore like crazy so i didnt really have to worry about speed too much...

Its only up until the last 3 months ive been speed picking (certainly alternate picking) and when i first started and im sure everyone else will agree in a way your hand sort of strains....and the muscles get really tense.

So my advice is to definatly relax....you need to relax both hands to get a nice flowing motion with your wrist, start slow then build up. It comes to you naturally...you cannot force skill to come.

Also i advise that you always alternate pick...unless your doing something like a pinch harmonic its critical.....and in time you'll do it so much you wont even realising, and trust me!!! im telling you this as a player who had real problems with speed (I have a co-ordination problem called Dyspraxia)

+Quote Post
DalcoM
Jul 3 2006, 10:25 PM
Another question on speed picking.
Is it important to keep the thumb straight? Cause Im picking with an angel about 45 degrees. And its hard to not hit the other strings when im switching string. Maby that comes with practice?

+Quote Post
DanielM
Jul 3 2006, 10:33 PM
dude just hold the pick like you normally would. as stated earlier the idea is to be comfortable whilst playing. don't attempt to change your own personal style because you think it will make it easier, because it won't. hold your pick like you would whilst playing slow exercises.

after watching the curious coincidence video i noticed kris was flatpicking (i think its called flatpicking anyway) whilst doing the speed picks towards the end. changing his hand positon, making it much closer to the fretboard and holding his pick in a totally different way.

i tried this but realised it was uncomfortable compared to the way i normally hold the pick and wasn't an effective way to build up speed to me personally. im holding the pick like i normally do and im on my way to shredding like a bitch.

in like 2 months as well biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DalcoM
Jul 4 2006, 10:43 PM
Hehe alright. Thanks, Nice to hear that. Just have to practice like a maniac then, and thats what im gonna do now.

+Quote Post
stickynotes
Jul 26 2006, 12:24 AM
Boy this is sticky subject.

I agree with every one elese. You should not change your style.

Relax and com down when your playing. When you feel your body tense up. learn, learn learn,
How to relax your whole body even your heart , arms , chest, legs, every thing,
I used to do these 2 string runs B,E fingers 1234 and run them up the neck as fast as I could, like a roll of the fingers. Every time I felt my body and arm get tight. I would try to relax all of my body while still playing. At first I could only get 3 frets in. My body would get so tight. Now that I thought my mind and body to relax when things go tight. I went and tried to go 2 more frets. And so on and so on. I can now go up down down the fret board. When I feel my body getting tight any time while I'm playing . I know to solve the problem.

Relaxing is so important !!! Your body , hands , every thing

I don't know if I should go into this. I dont want you to pick up any habit that might cause bad habit. some habit work for others and don't for others. there are alot of factors here.

But like me and some others. Have many styles of picking that we change back and forth while we are playing. To get certain things to happen when we want them to happen.

I don't realy want to go in to this. till I know a little more about your styles.

This topic is a real doesy !
It can help alot of players or damage alot of players. If some of these differnt sytles or trick as you call them. Are teached to others. It could destoy or inhance a player.

? how long have you been playing
? what styles of music do you play

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 26 2006, 07:59 AM
GMC Founder
This topic is a real doesy !  
It can help alot of players or damage alot of players

I agree, it's so important (as stressed earlier) to understand that what works for someone else could have the exact opposite effect on you... /K

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:24 AM